*done* Do 17 Z in the Mediterranean

Thanks Markus, but... the secret is not my paintwork, that actually reflects my lack of various craft skills that would be handy when assembling these kits. The secret is in the badly lit, grainy pics that are also taken far enough away from the subject :giggle:

We both envy those paintbrush wizards we see here!

• Haha 1

I decided to paint the second layer of Dunkelgrün (Revell 39) all over the kit. This means, I can now mask the edges of Schwarzgrün (Revell 40) and paint the splinter scheme, and if all looks decent I don't have to do a lot after that. The paint has been polished with a toothbrush. It helps in both handling the kit - no greasy fingerprints on the matte surface - and when applying the decals. The tail control surfaces and cowling center sections are painted yellow, that's why they are not yet on the kit. V-P

2022-05-23_11-15-39

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

The paint has been polished with a toothbrush. It helps in both handling the kit

Never come across useing a tooth polish to buff up paint . Soft ,hard , as used by professionals, please tell me more as i hate getting finger prints on my work .

Cheers

Alistair

A decent day for some model building while attending a Teams-meeting at job (from home, of course).

2022-05-23_01-07-20

I thought I'd find time to start masking the splinter, if the dark green paint just would dry fast enough. Well, it did.

2022-05-23_01-28-23

Since the meeting was for me a listen to-only, I thought I might even paint the black green splinter while listening to the bor... interesting conversation going on.

IMG_20220523_140703

That Revell enamel :inlove: dried so quick I was able to remove all the demarcation masks (in front of the Dornier) and toothbrush the whole paintjob. Did I forget to mention, that it also helps in breaking in the contrast of the various colours? Well it does that too. Here's my loyal Pepsodent-brand soft or medium toothbrush in its second job. No going back to brushing my teeth with it, though :winkgrin:. When the paintjob was done, I thought it'd be nice to see how the yellow tail pieces looked. Not bad, I thought. I'd need to add the exhausts and engines before adding the yellow cowlings, so that'll be where this story will continue next.

Edit: Well, to be honest, the cowlings, props and spinners are just dryfitted in place - though that could change quickly, but I need to cool down because there are decals that should be added before the props are fitted (am I really talking about adding decals now?) V-P

2022-05-23_02-53-53

Edit, added later the same evening:

Looking at those Op. Marita or Merkur? colours makes me itch to use the same scheme later this year...

Ju88STGBIIsmall

...though in an A-5, not A-4 as Revell suggests.

• Like 9

Looks nice, I see you found a meaningful occupation while attending one of those 'essential' meetings ;) Interesting idea using a toothbrush to polish the paint job, will try that next time.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Just some touchups around the last details added, and the politically correct Do 17 heads to the Gallery! I had ran out of certain national insignias I should add to the H-tail, so they'll have to wait. ICM 🇺🇦 decals worked fine 👍

2022-05-28_10-44-43

V-P

• Like 8

...and I DID find a pair of near correct size historically correct insignias too. The trouble being, decals for Bf 109 tails are too small and for Ju 88 too large, but I found some for Bf 110 that look appropriate 🙂.

See them in the Gallery later! V-P

• Like 2

Thanks Craig, and I agree with you about the colours. They might pop up again at the Ju 88 GB later this year! Now I have a week to build a Matchbox Fort and then get back to these Pencils! V-P

Edit: Well, I believe 8./KG 30 Ju 88:s had the yellow campaign markings in rudder and cowlings, white fuselage band and lower wingtips and red a/c code and spinners - would that over a 65/70/71 scheme be colourful enough :giggle:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Well, I believe 8./KG 30 Ju 88:s had the yellow campaign markings in rudder and cowlings, white fuselage band and lower wingtips and red a/c code and spinners - would that over a 65/70/71 scheme be colourful enough :giggle:

It would almost be like a flying rainbow!

🇺🇦

• vppelt68 changed the title to *done* Do 17 Z in the Mediterranean