*done* Do 17 Z in the Mediterranean

Nearly ten years ago, my very first post at the Britmodeller forum after the introductory "Hi!" was this one:

So, now having a Do 17 etc group build at hand, how could I pass the opportunity to finally build the subject of that my first post, eh? The boys in Kyiv have made it easy for me, as my ICM Do 17 Z-2 kit has a decal option for a 1./KG 2 plane from Greece, May 1941. I only wish life would become easier for 🇺🇦 soon.

V-P

P.S. I've learned to write German aircraft types correctly in these 10 years...

Edit, P.P.S: That was post was made on the date I joined the Britmodeller forum... I remember lurking here as a guest for a while before that.

• Like 8

Hi,

I believe the ICM Do 17 is a beautiful kit and a pleasure to build, or so I have read...

For sure you will have a lot of fun.

I wish I could say "Shame on you for lurking!", but I suspect we are all closet lurkers. Damn!

JR

• Haha 2

I have been a brush painter using mostly Humbrol enamels. I have used some Revell enamels too, and lately (especially) their various black tins have performed very well. So, with Revell paints available here in some supermarkets, Humbrol enamel availability EDIT: *becoming* questionable and several Luftwaffe aircraft in my calendar for this year, I thought it's time to really try them.

IMG_20220424_171818

All the non-metallics one needs to do the basic painting of most WW2 German bombers, at least from 1940 to 1943, north of the Mediterranean!

IMG_20220424_172051

Back to the Do 17 Z in the Mediterranean! Here's a crappy shot of assembled interior pieces before painting them. The fuselage was taped together to help set the bomb bay internal bracing while cementing them to one half only, for now. Actually, I will build this one with the bomb bay closed so I will not add the bombs, bomb racks or even paint anything in there... so that was kind of a useless exercise! I hope @Andwil doesn't get upset looking at the mold quality and fit - they are very good.

IMG_20220424_180343

Then I brushed the base Revell 45 over everything (and some landing gear bay pieces too). The paint was very good. The pics are lousy. I like it better that way!

V-P

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

A day off work and mrs. away for 12 hours!!!

IMG_20220428_074755

I got the interior assembled and painted. I'm not that happy with the radios.

IMG_20220428_074839

ICM delivers decals for the instrument panel, but I chose to dab some gloss black instead.

IMG_20220428_085849

Then I could button up the fuselage and add some other parts to it too.

IMG_20220428_103305

Went on assembling some, eh, subassemblies. Also put those Revell tins to real test - brush painting yellow.

V-P

• Like 7

Looking really good.  The wheel behind the pilot’s seat, I assume it’s a trim wheel, if so how was the pilot meant to operate it?

AW

12 minutes ago, Andwil said:

The wheel behind the pilot’s seat, I assume it’s a trim wheel, if so how was the pilot meant to operate it?

AW

Probably operated by the observer on pilots commands?

2022-04-29_11-40-35

Just a pic of the nacelles built around the landing gear bays. Must say building these kits is pure joy. Fit, engineering and the plastic itself leave little need for improvement. There's a lot of detail yet the kit is actually very simple. Parts breakdown is logical. I like it! V-P

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

More than half of the Dornier's belly has been painted twice with Revell #49. Due to handling reasons the nacelles and forward fuselage half wait for their turn.

2022-05-20_11-04-48

All the masking is done so when rest of the light blue is splashed on, I get to mask the demarcation for the upper greens. My usual m.o. is to cover all first with the lighter green, in this case Revell #39, as a primer and then do the darker green #40 splinter over it, and add second layer of the lighter green if necessary. I'm so far pleased with the Revell supermarket enamels. The Peewit masks are decent, but lack the finesse and sense of absolute quality common with the certain other manufacturer's products. V-P

• Like 9

Your paintwork looks very nice. I'm really jealous about what can be achieved by experienced brush painters. As airbrushing requires a lot of pre- and post-preparation even for just a few minutes of work, I've recently tried to sharpen my skill with the hairy stick. Using the advice of a few talented paint brushers here at BM I painted the interior of one of my kits by brush only. And while there is certainly room for improvement, the results are encouraging enough that I will continue this route for the future.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1