A Stork as a Mule! Airfix "Vintage Classics" Fieseler Storch

Hi All

Found something with RLM65 :penguin:

DSCF1362.jpg

It's not the cover artwork, but the second scheme

DSCF1363.jpg

I'm going to try Vallejo Air 71.255 Light Blue RLM65, but this 70/71 will obviously be interpreted as closest I have to Tamiya 72/73, so RLM counters may need to scroll on.

Ok, so if you're thinking "Vintage Classics" along the lines of "Vintage" as in Champagne and "Classic" as in Cars, then prepare to be misled

DSCF1364.jpg

This kit is hot off the presses from the original presses

DSCF1365.jpg

Pin marks and flash are faithfully retained

DSCF1366.jpg

Along with random defects

DSCF1370.jpg

While some of the detail looks to be actually improved (previous release in light blue, current in light grey)

DSCF1368.jpg

Who'd have thought! (and yes, that's all you get as pilots)

However, the greatest improvement is in the decal department

DSCF1369.jpg

Anyhoo, as this is part of my ongoing "Ar196 Progress Avoidment Series"  I will be neglecting detail and just banging it together.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Not much worse than Airfix’s O-2A Skymaster, which is best described as “a dog of a kit”. But with a little huge amount of love & attention (well, maybe not so much love) can build up pretty well. 

At least you know what you’re getting into…

• Like 1

Looking forward to see how this build goes. What with all the shiny stuff available nowadays, it's always nice to see people build the old tools. Even better to see what kind of result can be achieved without such kits turning into huge scratch build and aftermarket projects to bring them up to current state of the art.

Plus who doesn't like a Storch!?

• Like 1

Hi All

On 4/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, billn53 said:

Not much worse than Airfix’s O-2A Skymaster, which is best described as “a dog of a kit”. But with a little huge amount of love & attention (well, maybe not so much love) can build up pretty well. 

At least you know what you’re getting into…

OMG, I'd love to have another bash at an Airfx O-2A (once they become within the reach of the Common Man, obvs)

On 4/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, Ngantek said:

Looking forward to see how this build goes. What with all the shiny stuff available nowadays, it's always nice to see people build the old tools. Even better to see what kind of result can be achieved without such kits turning into huge scratch build and aftermarket projects to bring them up to current state of the art.

Plus who doesn't like a Storch!?

Ah, yes, sorry, my builds are mostly that of a 9 year old who has recently discovered his grandfather's kit stash, a box of  nylon brushes, and grainy acrylics.

Sometimes I just need to hold my childhood one last time.

So many Storch.

I can direct you to grown-ups builds, all full on, but what's the fun in that?

On 4/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, jackroadkill said:

It's nice to see all the old headaches with the VC series are faithfully reproduced and included!  Have fun with the build - I shall watch from behind the sofa!

Hi JRK, I may be joining you behind the furniture...

Ahyhoo, currently de-seaming the struts

DSCF1375.jpg

I'm presuming the shorter ones (46 & 47) are for when the aircraft is on the ground?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

On 4/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, ProfSparks said:

DSCF1363.jpg

Lufwatte?

Someone was having a bad day when composing the text, Watte being the German term for cotton wool...

That aside, I'll be interested to see how this build comes along.

I know that time, money, and other variables play a role, but I find it a little sad that the Vintage Classics are re-pops of popular kits but seemingly not popular enough to get a new 21st century moulding, unlike Gnats, Gladiators, Blenheims, Swordfish, and so on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

OMG, I'd love to have another bash at an Airfx O-2A (once they become within the reach of the Common Man, obvs)

Yes, they do seem to be a wee bit pricey (especially for what you get).

Here's my WIP, just in case you do get lucky and start a build... hopefully you'll be able to learn from my mistakes!

-Bill

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097280-o-2a-cessna-skymaster-of-the-wisconsin-air-national-guard/#comment-4155593

51355265976_722ba356c3_c.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I loved my Airfix Storch when I built it back in the year dot - so unusual looking and that lovely mottled sand camouflage.  But the years have not been kind to either of us.

I built Heller’s Storch many years ago. After I inadvertently frosted up the clear parts with glue, I painted it in a winter scheme and put it on a snow-covered base. A light dusting of snow helped cover up my mistakes!
I don’t recall else much about it, except that I was happy when it was done. But then, my standards are higher now…

• Like 2

Hmmm, I think my one has yellowed decals like those above, maybe I should write to Airfix & see if they'll sell me some of the new ones. meantime, I'll watch on, prior warning of pitfalls is always welcome. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Nice project - looking forward to seeing it develop. I did one recently and a certain amount of watching from behind the sofa was definitely required!

FWIW even the shorter legs in the kit look too long when compared to plans and photos. I made mine 37.5mm long, down from 45mm for the shorter ones in the kit. Also, there are more struts on the undercarriage than the kit provides. If you are interested there’s a link here to the relevant sections of the thread.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

17 hours ago, billn53 said:

51355265976_722ba356c3_c.jpg

That is one sweet build, I might not get one now, I'll just look at yours!

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice project - looking forward to seeing it develop. I did one recently and a certain amount of watching from behind the sofa was definitely required!

FWIW even the shorter legs in the kit look too long when compared to plans and photos. I made mine 37.5mm long, down from 45mm for the shorter ones in the kit. Also, there are more struts on the undercarriage than the kit provides. If you are interested there’s a link here to the relevant sections of the thread.

Regards,

Adrian

I admired your winter camo, and now I have the kit here I admire your determination even more!

I'll probably leave them alone, don't need to make extra work for myself.

Back with the Mule, I did the least I could with the interior, just a couple of masking tape belts.

DSCF1378.jpg

I know it's slightly green, I was convinced I'd seen them green, but now all I can find are grey ones.

Hey ho, no-one will know...

The halves were enticed together for the glue to set, I expect there may be more de-seaming and sanding just round the corner

DSCF1379.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

A certain amount of sanding and de-seaming later, I got some fleshy yellow on her

DSCF1381.jpg

I then realized that the tail band was a decal, but quite a good match anyway!

DSCF1390.jpg

Now time for the RLM65 experiment involving Vallejo VA71.255 Light Blue RLM65

DSCF1391.jpg

In reality it's slightly greyer than the XF-23 on the Ar196, a little less blue, but not by much.

I'll see how it fares once it gets the Flory treatment.

Topside will be XF-27 Black Green again, but this time I'm leaning towards a much darker green.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hi All

I got some XF-27 Black Green on her

DSCF1392.jpg

And as I was looking at how green it was, I suddenly wondered if I was trying to pick the snake up from the wrong end.

What if I used this as the lighter Black Green, and found another even darker Black Green?

Just so happens that Tamiya has one, bring out the XF-69 NATO Black.

DSCF1393.jpg

Looking ever so slightly grey when under a coat of Pledge, but when flat, the two paints are almost identical. Almost, and that's what I was after for the 70/71.

I'll bang some transfers on, a flurry of Flory and flatten her off again, see how she looks.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hi Steve,

I like your modelling philosophy...

On 4/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, ProfSparks said:

Ah, yes, sorry, my builds are mostly that of a 9 year old who has recently discovered his grandfather's kit stash, a box of  nylon brushes, and grainy acrylics.

I'd do that, but I always get carried away...

Anyway, looking very good. I'll tag along, I have the same in the stash, something to remind me of being 9.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi All

On 5/16/2022 at 9:26 PM, Johnson said:

Anyway, looking very good. I'll tag along, I have the same in the stash, something to remind me of being 9.

Ah, well, before you get too enthused, may I recommend alternative pleasures to remind you of being 9; such as falling off your bike: falling out of a tree: running into a wall while playing football: being beaten up by the school bully while your crush holds hands with your best friend: you get the general idea.

Anyhoo, after some attention, we are here

DSCF1396.jpg

The relative shades change, but I'll probably go with this combo (unless someone out there is screaming nooooooooo...)

I've done a touch of screaming myself recently, because, well, the canopy glazing is pants.

Not just regular pants either, but industrial strength pants that have been through the Pants Plus machine a couple of times.

I tried to think of a cunning plan, but closest I got was this

DSCF1397.jpg

Wings flat and square, ready to be placed delicately on the other two previously clagged on glazing sides

More screaming later, and here she is having a nap while her struts dry

DSCF1398.jpg

They're obviously too long one side, and too short the other, but by careful angling for pics I think I can get away with it.

Now all that is left are those gangly legs.

More screaming awaits.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

I don't remember having those problems when I was 9. But (a) that was an awfully long time ago and (b) I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Anyway, it's looking pretty good from here. Paintwork is great.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Things could be worse. B)

Trying to stay being constructive: It looks like there is a bit of decal silvering. Maybe a drop of this or that magical potion (from acrylic floor polish to dedicatend decal products) could cure it without using a scalpel or panting.

Edited by Jochen Barett
  • Like 1

Hi All

Taking a break from "having fun", I set about fitting her legs

Some time passed, and although they were eventually secured, I was too wound up and shaky to hold the camera.

Anyhoo, the other bits were also attached (except the aerial that launched itself through a space time wormhole etc), and I took her outside to have a look at her in a fleeting window of sunlight.

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1401.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

DSCF1403.jpg

(Yes, sorry @Jochen Barett, the silvering remains even through more Pledge and Micro Sol.)

As a build, it's naff.

As a mule, it's done it's job, and is now off to the glue factory :deadhorse:

But anyway, how does the XF-27 / XF-69 compare with RLM 72/ 73?

As ever, @Troy Smith has some gems in this excellent RFI of @Hamiltonian BV 138 MS

And comparing some of the Ar 196 (among others), I think it's close.

That's the good news.

The other good news is that I'm calling her done!

However, the bad news is that now I will have to get back to 1/32  :eat:

Thanks to all who tagged along, see you on the next one (but NOT another Airfix one of these)

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6
  • Haha 1