USAF Starfighter 55-2955

Chrisj2003

I have a decal sheet for Starfighters that includes a “USAF Artic Camo” option of white with international orange trim and tail number 52955, so presumably serial 55-2955. Looks an unusual scheme but I can’t find any pictures of it. Is it real? Is it a drone scheme?

Chris

55-2955 was the first YF-104A. Here's a web page with its history: LINK 

I'm finding a lot of pics of drones in Day-Glo orange and various NASA and test jets with orange tails, but nothing of 955 painted as you describe. Who made the decal sheet? Any way you can post a scan of the instructions showing the subject at hand?

Ben

• Like 1

There was no such thing as a "artic camo" for the Starfighter, several aircraft used for tests featured dayglo or orange areas and all natural metal F-104 had white upper wings (but not the YF-104s), I would treat this scheme as very suspicious 

6 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I suspect it's this scheme: insignia red tail (and wingtips?), with ARDC markings and 'Phase V' logo. No white, and certainly no 'Arctic Camo' (artic camo would be something you'd paint on a truck).

20458661512_b6f184ee54_o

Now, I do like that, Duncan. :) I’ve. It seen one in that scheme before.

Martin

• Like 1

Folks, thanks for all the replies, confirming the 'arctic' scheme on this sheet is a fantasy; shame because a white zipper with international orange would have looked good. Plenty more nice schemes to do.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1