Hunter GA11 from 1/48 Airfix Hunter?

wellsprop

Hi all, 

I'm a little confused as I've found Hunter WT806 (GA11) that has a sawtooth wing.

I believe all GA11's were converted from F4s which had straight wings, not the later sawtooth. 

Was the sawtooth wing on this aircraft a retrofit? 

Cheers

Ben

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Yes it was, all GA.11 and PR.11 versions had the later wing initially introduced on the F.6

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wellsprop said:

My understanding is the sawtooth was a scabbed on extension to the straight wing ie all Hunter wings were built as straight wings and those with the sawtooth were modified with the leading edge extension in service, during remanufacturing to another mark or during production.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wez said:

Yes it was, all GA.11 and PR.11 versions had the later wing initially introduced on the F.6

Interesting, so can a Hunter Ga11 be made from the Airfix F6?

I recall the upper fuselage spine may need to change and aerocraft provides a replacement. 

Aside from that is there everything in the 1/48 Airfix F6 to make a GA11? 

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Interesting, so can a Hunter Ga11 be made from the Airfix F6?

I recall the upper fuselage spine may need to change and aerocraft provides a replacement. 

Aside from that is there everything in the 1/48 Airfix F6 to make a GA11? 

You’d be better off starting from the F. 4/5 kit as this has the smaller diameter jet pipe orifice of the “small bore” Avon installed in the F. 1/4 from the latter of which the GA. 11s were converted.  The GA. 11 also featured a brake ‘chute housing above the orifice which is also catered for in the F. 4/5 kit.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, stever219 said:

You’d be better off starting from the F. 4/5 kit as this has the smaller diameter jet pipe orifice of the “small bore” Avon installed in the F. 1/4 from the latter of which the GA. 11s were converted.  The GA. 11 also featured a brake ‘chute housing above the orifice which is also catered for in the F. 4/5 kit.

Are you sure about the GA.11 having a brake-chute? 

15491094546_953a89a7a5_b.jpgXE716 Hunter GA.11 by Irish251, on Flickr

• Like 2

Correct, no brake chutes on GA11s and PR11s. Also important to remember that these "small-bore" Hunters had a different airbrake arrangement to the big-bore ones. And the vents around the engine, above and below the wing, were also different between the small- and big-bore Avons. For the Sapphire engined F5 they were different again.

Justin

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 2:02 PM, Dave Swindell said:

were modified with the leading edge extension in service

Mod 228. All our KLu Hunter F.4's were modified from the late 50's on.

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 3

• wellsprop changed the title to Hunter GA11 from 1/48 Airfix Hunter?

The britmodeller collective brain doing its thing once again!

Excellent so the Airfix F4, which has a sawtooth wing molded as is but also comes with the small bore tail pipe and a tail hook, I'll have to look further into the airbrake mod! 

I think aerocraft provides a correction for the upper fuselage... 

23 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The britmodeller collective brain doing its thing once again!

Excellent so the Airfix F4, which has a sawtooth wing molded as is but also comes with the small bore tail pipe and a tail hook, I'll have to look further into the airbrake mod! 

I think aerocraft provides a correction for the upper fuselage... 

The Jet pipe was exactly the same diameter on the F4 and F6. What differed was the diameter of the fairing around the jet pipe.

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The Jet pipe was exactly the same diameter on the F4 and F6. What differed was the diameter of the fairing around the jet pipe.

Selwyn

Interesting. Why was that Selwyn?

Did the higher power of the Mk6's Avon mean more heat and hence more space needed between the jet pipe and rear fuselage fairing? (That's the only obvious thing I can think of.)

John B

7 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Interesting. Why was that Selwyn?

Did the higher power of the Mk6's Avon mean more heat and hence more space needed between the jet pipe and rear fuselage fairing? (That's the only obvious thing I can think of.)

John B

IIRC, the bore of the jet pipe is the same but longer on the 200 series Avons when measured from the tailcone transport joint.  This means that the upward curve on the underside isn't so steep and coupled with the parabrake housing gives the appearance of being bigger.  @John Aero measured all of this for his Hunters many years ago, hopefully he'll be able to provide some good gen.