Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

DK Decals will release seven different sheets for P-39/P-400/Airacobra Mk I in 1/72. Five of them will contain 10 schemes, one 12 schemes and one 16 schemes. This is excellent news, I was just lamenting how few options there are for non-soviet schemes. It says 'in preparation', hopefully they will be released soon.

http://www.dkdecals.cz/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

A total of 78 schemes?! And here I only ordered two kits! Just deciding which sheet(s) to order will be tough enough, never mind deciding which option to build - I might have to buy all seven of them.

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Very true, it will be difficult to decide which sheets to order. I think decal sheets like these that have so many tempting schemes partly explain why the kit stash keeps growing. I'm tempted by their P-40 sheets, and keep thinking that I should order more Special Hobby's P-40s, although I already have four of them in the stash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheKinksFan said:

Very true, it will be difficult to decide which sheets to order. I think decal sheets like these that have so many tempting schemes partly explain why the kit stash keeps growing. I'm tempted by their P-40 sheets, and keep thinking that I should order more Special Hobby's P-40s, although I already have four of them in the stash.

I like Begemot's approach - just put all of them on one sheet.  For example, the Begemot 1/72 I-16 decal set had ~100 options, and it wasn't expensive, either.

John

@kotey

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John Thompson said:

A total of 78 schemes?! And here I only ordered two kits! Just deciding which sheet(s) to order will be tough enough, never mind deciding which option to build - I might have to buy all seven of them.

John

The Foxbat one to start with, if you can get it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The Foxbat one to start with, if you can get it.

Foxbot :D

These are their two sets for the P-39, both available at the moment. I bought the exploitation inscriptions for RS Models, a very nice and useful set.

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Red-Snake-Soviet-P-39-Airacobras.html

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Stencils-for-P-39-Airacobra.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Foxbot :D

These are their two sets for the P-39, both available at the moment. I bought the exploitation inscriptions for RS Models, a very nice and useful set.

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Red-Snake-Soviet-P-39-Airacobras.html

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Stencils-for-P-39-Airacobra.html

That's auto correct for you! I was going to try and find one in the UK at a sensible price, but that's a good price anyway so it's tempting.

4 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

That's auto correct for you!

What my fingers or the dictionary on my phone meant by "exploitation inscriptions" I don't know, but my facepalm was loud.

That's how it is when you compare front line reports in Russian and Ukrainian, check Eduard's news in Czech, write on BM in English, and think about coffee in your native Polish :D

Still, these stencils are really good, especially when someone would like to build factory fresh aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

What my fingers or the dictionary on my phone meant by "exploitation inscriptions" I don't know, but my facepalm was loud.

That's how it is when you compare front line reports in Russian and Ukrainian, check Eduard's news in Czech, write on BM in English, and think about coffee in your native Polish :D

Still, these stencils are really good, especially when someone would like to build factory fresh aircraft.

I was also going to get one of the 1/48th scale sets as I have a few larger Airacobras to build as well.

Arghhhhhh now you made go look at The DK site and I see other must have sheets (RAAF 77 Squadron and the RAAF Meteors) and the RAAF & RAF P-39 sheet. I blame you and them for increasing one’s stash, yet again.  Expensive times ahead. 🤑

• Haha 4

Concerning the DK Decals P-39 sheets that are in preparation, I asked them about the release schedule. Their reply: "the sheets should be ready at the end of November/December, they will come out, unless something goes wrong, all at once."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just built my first P-39Q Airacobra last night. I forgot time going, just had a lot of fun building this week. Painted with Hataka lacquers.

spacer.png

Fit is very good, You need to clean paint on some details to put them together (MGs in cockpit, front wheel leg support). I glued rear canopy with an offset to right and had to correct it after dry (Ultra Glue is forgiving). The only assembly problem is swap of main wheels in instruction. Flattened tires didn't match ground so filled them in superglue and painted. 

More, including open doors trick you can find on my blog post link

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Wojtek Bulhak
photo upgrade
  • Like 18

17 minutes ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Just built my first P-39Q Airacobra last night. I forgot time going, just had a lot of fun building this week. Painted with Hataka lacquers.

Finally found out where to post gallery on Britmodeller, more photos here:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

https://www.facebook.com/ArmaHobby/posts/534945945311558

“It was a huge challenge for me to work out the interior of the front of the fuselage to fit all the details that are visible there. An additional difficulty were those, already famous on the Internet, "balls of steel". Thanks to the smart division into parts, it was possible to reproduce many important details such as the engine shaft, the bottom of the cannon with its mounting hardware and ammunition feeders, ammunition boxes for fuselage mounted .50 MGs, the wall between this compartment and the cockpit with niches for rudder pedals, the shelf with front-wheel recess, frame and rear wall of the wheel bay. Everything was detailed with rivets and spars. The upper shelf with a relief imitating the cannon is also a “home” for three steel balls to balance the model.”

• Like 2