Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

42 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I have a suspicion that boxings containing Soviet planes are not big sellers, outside RF that is. When taken into account how big proportion of P-39s were in Soviet service, it is noteworthy how small role they play in the RS Models, Hasegawa and Eduard boxings. And I don't think the main reason in any way ideological, but the Soviet planes were usually quite boring looking, and can't compete with nose art, shark jaws etc.

Sure, they can compete, when they have Red Banner markings, Guards' markings, patriotic slogans, quick recognition markings such as bands on the wings and tail planes, etc. Many Western warplanes were also 'quite boring'.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CarLos said:

I have one to build as a racer, what's wrong about it? - away from the natural limitations of these easy build kits.

I'm no P-39 expert but the canopy looks all sorts of wrong and the nose and spinner looks fat and curvy. There also appears to be virtually no dihereal on the wings, the elevators are shaped very wrong. The curve on the wingtip looKs symmetrical rather than tapering towards the rear. The intake on the spine is curved quite a bit where as it should be quite straight. I can start drawing red lines if you want...

1010_rd.jpg

georgeswork_211129_61a56631b333e.jpg

P39A0310.jpeg

avp39_01.jpg

szh3ayf9hfw61.jpg?auto=webp&s=9c1ca1bb36

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

And I don't think the main reason in any way ideological, but the Soviet planes were usually quite boring looking, and can't compete with nose art, shark jaws etc.

Look again.

There are plenty of striking schemes applied to VVS P-39's

see

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

Much of the research in the link was used for the Eduard 'Bella' dual combo.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/limited-edition/aircraft/1-48/bella-1-48.html

You also have Ex-RAF Airacobras, which retained their RAF colours. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

It’s more red than orange, although it depends on how the sun hits it

b91_1.jpg

100D55DC-0BB0-4437-9FE3-73449B5A922F

You’re right, depending on the ambient light. And the color according to the website is international orange, one of those elusive shades. The reason I said orange. I saw a documentary about the history and building of it. At least there is an FS number if one has space for it!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

I hadn’t thought of P-39, however I have never built a 1/72 kit of it, so I must get one. (Justification is everything to a modeller). It fills a gap in my 1/72 fighters. I am partial to the desert sand “Devastating Devil”. The price of everything is going up, and as a retiree I can no longer afford a squadron, which is unfortunate, with so many interesting schemes.(I have 14 Arma Hurricanes in the queue).

While I can understand them not providing VVS markings at this time, let’s not forget the Soviets, who flew and maintained them as an allied force. Hopefully in the future, when things are a little different, we will see an exclusive VVS boxing, as they utilized the Airacobra rather effectively, with about half of the P-39’s produced.

Thanks Arma

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I'm no P-39 expert but the canopy looks comple wrong and the nose and spinner doesn't look right either. I can start drawing red lines if you want...

1010_rd.jpg

P39A0310.jpeg

Thanks, I'll wait for the Arma one to serve as a model to correct the older kits. It's a fun and rewarding exercise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarLos said:

Thanks, I'll wait for the Arma one to serve as a model to correct the older kits. It's a fun and rewarding exercise.

I'll probably do the same as I've got the Academy kit in the stash.

• Like 2

I kinda like the P-39 but it doesn’t really fit into my main area of interest (aircraft based in East Anglia) apart from the Airacobra Mk I of No. 601 Sqn., which I believe was a P-400.

So, pleased for you guys that wanted one, but I won’t be buying unless one comes up cheap, which I very much doubt. For those who are disappointed with the lack of Soviet markings, I think there is little appetite for things with red stars in the former Warsaw Pact countries (and especially Poland)  right now, and I doubt that will change any time soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKinksFan said:

I have a suspicion that boxings containing Soviet planes are not big sellers, outside RF that is. When taken into account how big proportion of P-39s were in Soviet service, it is noteworthy how small role they play in the RS Models, Hasegawa and Eduard boxings. And I don't think the main reason in any way ideological, but the Soviet planes were usually quite boring looking, and can't compete with nose art, shark jaws etc.

Look at all the beauties here! Hard to chose one.

Edited by Taylor Durbon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I understood they are doing this as a trial - the pre-order is in combination with plastic. I would presume if it proves successful, separate sales might follow.
Shipping of course will be a thing, unless AH decide to release them under the accessories label they used to do for other retailers.

I hope so, those of us who can’t order directly from armahobby are missing out (also on the combos etc) :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

Last winter Arma Hobby prepared new boxing of their 1/72 Hurricanes with red stars markings and I think it was almost ready for producing and selling. However after begenning of russian aggresion on Ukraine they wrote in their blog they had chage plans and this set will be not producing. So I'm not sure if they will producing red stars Cobras too. You can always use aftermarket set if you want make such '"friend".  

Regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

Ok, I admit that some of those Soviet Airacobras are good looking, at least those featuring themes from the animal kingdom. Similarly  those Yak-1Bs (IIRC) that have a Cobra or a Tiger look good. Or the Hurricane with the wolf. But personally I prefer a naked pin up girl or Donald Duck over political and patriotic slogans. It's a matter of taste. Or maybe it's a manifestation of the famous 'russophobia' that I have been hearing about lately.

In any case, there are fortunately all the aftermarket sheet for those who are interested

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Learstang said:

This Sultan Ahmet-Khan was a Crimean Tartar who was an ace and a Hero of the Soviet Union. He ended the war flying a La-7.

Regards,

Jason

If its the cobra with the long snake artwork down the side, Ive got his markings in 1/48. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If its the cobra with the long snake artwork down the side

I have a vague memory that this is one of the 'profile only' schemes...

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2579.msg23269#msg23269

seems it's fiction....

long thread here on VVS P-39's

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1714.0

which gives the research for the profiles, on the page I linked here

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

note the profiles link to a page with the reference photos and pilot and plane history.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Scarcity is indeed a problem I had not considered.

TBH I'm not sure if we can talk about scarcity. P-39s from RS Models premiered in 2012-2013, rerelease was in 2017-2018 and another one box was released in 2020. All in all, eleven boxes were released, probably 500-1000 pieces each.

It seems more likely to me that one is unfamiliar with the company as such, and if someone is unfamiliar with the company, then also has a problem finding a kit.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I recently purchased a RSModels P-39Q specifically for the Canton Islands sand over blue scheme, I already had another of theirs plus a MPM boxing of the Academy one with Guadalcanal shark mouth schemes, but I'm sure I can find an excuse for buying one of these anyway. :)

Steve.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I have a vague memory that this is one of the 'profile only' schemes...

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2579.msg23269#msg23269

seems it's fiction....

long thread here on VVS P-39's

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1714.0

which gives the research for the profiles, on the page I linked here

note the profiles link to a page with the reference photos and pilot and plane history.

HTH

Well I can use the rest of the decals and leave off the snake. I was more curious if the markings besides the snake were correct. 

7 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

TBH I'm not sure if we can talk about scarcity. P-39s from RS Models premiered in 2012-2013, rerelease was in 2017-2018 and another one box was released in 2020. All in all, eleven boxes were released, probably 500-1000 pieces each.

It seems more likely to me that one is unfamiliar with the company as such, and if someone is unfamiliar with the company, then also has a problem finding a kit.

Unfamiliarity is one thing true. However in my case RS models are just un-available to someone like myself. I have a very limited budget and just cannot justify an order from Europe due to shipping costs. If I could id have a number of the RS P-38’s and P-39’s. Let alone a dozen other companies kits. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrB17 said:

While I can understand them not providing VVS markings at this time, let’s not forget the Soviets, who flew and maintained them as an allied force. Hopefully in the future, when things are a little different, we will see an exclusive VVS boxing, as they utilized the Airacobra rather effectively, with about half of the P-39’s produced.

Thanks Arma

Cheers

Jeff

Well, there are options even of that is a concern. E.g. ace Dmitry Glinka, of Kherson or the mentioned Amet-khan Sultan recently honoured on Ukrainian bank notes.

• Like 5