Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

18 hours ago, Mike said:

Actually no.  People just need to stop bringing it up every time something too expensive in their opinion comes up in discussion.  Imagine us poor Mods having to read all that :poop:

I've had a quick read through this, and it's a load of twaddle.  Do the complainers about the price of kits also press their noses up against the glass of a Porsche dealer and complain that the 911 is too expensive and should be the same price as a... I was gonna say Skoda, but they're quite good now, but you get the gist.  If it's too expensive in your not-so-humble-opinion, just move along.  Don't stand there whining that it's not fair and that so-and-so's XXXXXXX of 1966 vintage is only tuppence, and all kits should be that price.  Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

TL:DR version: Off topic, stop whining. :dull:

As someone who also suffers from ill heath, I am dismayed by your lack of empathy and understanding. I think it’s pretty disgusting, to be honest. 
If we are to be allowed just one school of thought on Britmodeller, I think it’s time for me to bow out. Please cancel my account. I’m done. 

• Like 2

Yeah well, I can't see how the state of your health corresponds to the price of a model kit.

All the best to you, but you really cannot put one against the other.

As for the price of Arma kits. Its what you make of it.

Yes, the Arma kits are expensive, and the Revell kits are cheap, but I know which one I will buy and build.

While you (or others) might not want to buy their models, the fact that their models are very popular on scalemates shows that people are buying them, which means Arma has made a right decision in going for quality over quantity.

I personally hope they will expand into 1/48 scale, but so far their one and only 1/48 scale kit (a PZL 11c) was thourougly blasted on various forums despite being leagues ahead of the previous offering. Something I never understood as I found it terrific.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

As someone who also suffers from ill heath, I am dismayed by your lack of empathy and understanding. I think it’s pretty disgusting, to be honest. 
If we are to be allowed just one school of thought on Britmodeller, I think it’s time for me to bow out. Please cancel my account. I’m done. 

As someone who is also in poor health, I don't see what that has to do with a kit being unaffordable.  You cut your cloth accordingly, and don't expect every company to reduce their prices so you can afford it.  Speaking personally, I'd much rather have less of something that's good, rather than more of something that's mediocre at best.

Is it too much to ask for people to stop polluting almost EVERY thread about a new kit with "it's too expensive for me - give it to me for less, regardless of whether you make any profit or not" then you're out of touch with reality and thinking purely selfishly.  Have you read any of our reviews on the ARMA kits lately?  They provide you with more in the box along with quality modern toolings, so it costs more.  It's a case of "pay more get more".  I don't see the problem. :shrug:

If that doesn't seem reasonable, then off you toddle. :dull:

• Like 18

There does seem to be a fair amount of variation in the comments I read on this forum, and certainly not all in agreement with me at times.  However, that's life, isn't it?  The best thing is to shrug it off and carry on.  I do enjoy responses from those intelligent clear-thinking folk who are in agreement with me (or at least can produce lucid - if not always convincing - evidence why not).  Those who can't are obviously just badly informed and/or wrong-headed.  You can't let such people run your life.  (Unless they are in the government, of course.)  And I stress that this doesn't address the majority of the board who are quite happily doing something different altogether...

Dropping out just because there are people who don't agree with me would deprive me of much of the value to be found here.  It might however provide more time for modelling.  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Dropping out just because there are people who don't agree with me would deprive me of much of the value to be found here.  It might however provide more time for modelling.  Decisions, decisions.

We'd miss you Graham. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I like discussion about every new kit. I think everyone can say his opinion. Also about the value and price. But I really don´t understand why there are so big complaints about "expensive" new Arma Hobby. Let´s answer your self a little check-list like I am just doing bellow:

1. How many kits I have in my stash?  200+

2. Is better P-39 in 1/72  available ? No

3. Is cheaper P-39 in 1/72 available? YES (Academy)

4. Do I need good P-39 kit ? YES

Result: I will buy Arma Hobby P-39. In case I have no money for it, I can sell or build instead some of the 200+ kits in my stash 😀  Anyway, for those who would not accept the price, there is still option to buy cheap Academy kit 🤠

Well, to be honest, Arma is the only company which understood needs of modelers who want to build models. Of course there are still a big potential to improve their stuff ( e.g. sink marks on P-51 etc..). But at the end I am glad that I will have more expensive Arma Hobby instead of Eduard with their cheap and ugly decals 😉

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2022 at 20:28, VMA131Marine said:

The Arma Hobby 1/72 P-39 is cheaper on Hannants site than the new 1/72 Xtrakit SRA/1. Is the SRA overpriced? Which is better value? It’s entirely subjective.

I've got the SR.A1: it's a lovely kit, and comes with PE, canopy masks, 3D-printed decals for the instrument panels and seat belts plus some lovely finely-engraved panel lines. It's also quite big,. I'd recommend it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I agree that complaining about the price of a kit is pointless, I do feel a bit sad that a regular contributor to the BM community has felt the need to leave as a result. 

Often we're our own worst enemy. Any chance of a reconciliation?

• Like 3

I think the Mods have better things to do than go running after people when they throw a tantrum. Maybe we should just stick to the subject and concentrate on arguing about whether the kit should have a 5-bladed propeller or not?

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd recommend it!

I already bought the WHIF version 😂

I have the Planet Models kit to do as the real prototype.

This has been mentioned tangentially before, but it’s possible to empirically determine if Arma kits are overpriced. 
A/ Retailers have lots of stock and it’s heavily discounted - I have not seen this

B/ Manufacturer has to discount product to move it - Arma has offered special bundles, but they haven’t had any clearance sales that I am aware of

C/ Manufacturer ceases trading because sales are insufficient to pay its bills - this is difficult to determine until after the fact, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

Some of Arma’s kits may cost more than some people are willing to pay, but when is that not true. Certain kits (Starfix) could be free and still be overpriced.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

If we are to be allowed just one school of thought on Britmodeller

That is simply not true. One of the good things is the different opinions about all kinds of things. Repeated multiple repetitions of "it's too expensive" time after time does not really add anything to a discussion.

I personally really like to see errors and omissions pointed out in kits. They are very worthwhile if a fix is suggested - not so much if they are just an opinion or an observation.

Some threads do get overheated but usually are brought back to reality.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I also suffer from ill health, and am disabled. I have a minimal budget to buy at any given time, so I understand your point of view I really do. Though it doesn't help a thread to constantly say that a kit is too expensive. These threads are for discussing the P-39 kits not economics. You of course are allowed your opinion. However why constantly try to refocus the discussion towards economics, it doesn't add anything to the discussion only detracts. As other’s have said if you're not able too or cant buy the kit then let it pass by ? Its not right to  change the subject matter. It just comes across as a distraction that could eventually evolve into an argument. In the end let me say don't leave the Forum. Just understand that there is a time and a place for that kind of discussion, a modeling forum just isn't it 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I think the Mods have better things to do than go running after people when they throw a tantrum. 

I agree, and wasn't suggesting it. I was just voicing concern that he got repeatedly agitated about something most of us can deal with, and a hope that he reconsiders his decision. It's a great little community here and worth being part of. 🙂

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I also suffer from ill health, and am disabled. I have a minimal budget to buy at any given time, so I understand your point of view I really do. Though it doesn't help a thread to constantly say that a kit is too expensive. These threads are for discussing the P-39 kits not economics. You of course are allowed your opinion. However why constantly try to refocus the discussion towards economics, it doesn't add anything to the discussion only detracts. As other’s have said if you're not able too or cant buy the kit then let it pass by ? Its not right to  change the subject matter. It just comes across as a distraction that could eventually evolve into an argument. In the end let me say don't leave the Forum. Just understand that there is a time and a place for that kind of discussion, a modeling forum just isn't it 

It’s not ”constantly”, it’s rather several posters writing it once each. That people bring up the price is a sign of two things:

1) the kit is very desireable by many (yay!)

2) the price is above many people’s budget 

Without 1) you wouldn’t see these posts, so they are a sign Arma could get more sales if they could get the price down. Not so for other even more expensive but niche kits. Now, I doubt they can reduce the price, since costs have been increasing due to several reasons, the war being just one of them. I think it’s time for everyone to brace themselves for higher prices and (stop reading here if you already suffer from the stash hoarding syndrome) consider stocking up in advance. People should really take note that this is a ”luxury” set or whatever you want to call it, there will certainly be cheaper sets with less addons in the future. Buying the corresponding PE and masks and resin/3D AM on top of a basic kit will likely set you back even more!

I wouldn’t complain on anyone for commenting on the price though, I find that as valid a comment as disliking decal choices or some detail or another. I myself complained once on the ballooned price of shipping (to Norway) which prevents  direct shopping, got an explanation for it and that’s that. Everyone with the same issue will now be able to read it, rather than Arma getting bothered by several mails on the same topic. Sometimes it helps to vent.

That said, this is a general discussion and should better be located in a thread of its own rather than here. It’s not just not this particular kit that many will have to pass due to price. Maybe in the chat? Does this forum have the ability to remove posts and put them in a new thread?

edit: for clarification

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

I would never insult anyone for commenting on the price though, I find that as valid a comment as disliking decal choices

I wasn't trying to insult anyone ? I was trying to point out others have issues (medical) but choose not to complain about the cost of a new kit. If my post reads as an insult I apologize to everyone, as that definitely was never the intent. I agree General Chat may be another place to have a general discussion about prices and costs etc. My whole point was I think its a distraction to write an entry into a thread discussing economics and costs. Particularly when its about a specific subject and not about economics.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I wasn't trying to insult anyone ? I was trying to point out others have issues (medical) but choose not to complain about the cost of a new kit. If my post reads as an insult I apologize to everyone

Sorry, that’s not what I meant, and I did not think your post could anywhere near be interpreted as an insult. I quoted you, but it was a general comment :) 

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Thanks 1

I've a lot of sympathy with those finding the rise in kit prices painful, and largely agree with them.  However, there are only so many times it needs to be said in any thread (or indeed in any forum?), and modellers can express their agreement with the original poster by *liking" it without wasting a posting or testing the patience of others.  The same applies to those who look at a model and comment "Wow!" (or equivalent) on it without making any actual constructive comment at all.  By all means "like" the model, or even send a pm to the modeller if you really really like it, but gratuitous inflation of the site does no-one any good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a number have said, it looks like we'll have to get used to higher prices. Yes we may find that some kits are out of our price range but thankfully there are plenty still which won't be. And if you have one of those "I'll never build them all" stashes then maybe you will after all. I must admit I don't, but then there's always scratch-building to keep me busy if it gets too bad.

Could we get back to the P-39 now? I must admit I didn't think I was interested, but I might get one now! All this talk has made me thirsty.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Could we get back to the P-39 now? I must admit I didn't think I was interested, but I might get one now! All this talk has made me thirsty.

Amen to that! When I open a thread titled, "Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra" (like this one), I'm expecting a discussion of the kit itself. Based on that, I'll make my own decision about whether or not the asking price is reasonable.

John

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

It’s not ”constantly”, it’s rather several posters writing it once each. That people bring up the price is a sign of two things:

It crops up pretty much constantly in almost every new thread about a kit, mainly 1:72 and often the same core people, but not exclusively.  It gets wearing after a time.  We get it.  Things are expensive, they're getting MORE expensive, but do we need to retread the same old ground every time?

Complaining about the price without considering what you're getting for that price is also a poorly considered complaint. :shrug:

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I do hope so.

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Amen to that! When I open a thread titled, "Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra" (like this one), I'm expecting a discussion of the kit itself. Based on that, I'll make my own decision about whether or not the asking price is reasonable.

Quite.  Our reviews never mention price for that very reason, and the fact that it varies from vendor to vendor.

Back on topic.

• Like 10

I am looking forward to getting this one at some stage (sooner rather than later I hope!). I have always liked the Airacobra, ever since I made an Airfix one when I was knee-high to a cricket way back in the 1960's. There is something about the way it looks that hooked that 8-year-old's imagination. I strongly suspect that this Arma kit will be a little bit better than that one, and that it will not be built in a Saturday afternoon, like my original was.

Ray

• Like 1

I'm not a huge P-39 fan.  I built the Testors (rebox of ? kit) back in my youth.  But i love what Arma is doing and want to support them.  I needed (did i?) to get the new P-51B/C boxing anyways...  Their P-39 just looks like it will be a fun build and great to show the detail they put into the molds.  Still thinking about getting Eduard's S-199 also, but PE MLG bay walls...

Not sure which option i'll choose either.  A few good ones included.

• Like 2