Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

In fact P-39 is probably the trickiest airplane in terms of weight placement. My Academy one very un-firmly stands on its front wheel. You do not have any options to put lead behind the cockpit etc. 

So metal loads and dedicated slots for putting it is a superb decision.

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Those Frog kits are very fondly remembered,

Absolutely :). I used to hang around my regular model shop and simply gaze in wonder at the “exotic” colour schemes they offered, while the alternative - Airfix - stuck to its RAF/FAA/Luftwaffe/USAAF offerings. I loved the Frog kits :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

In fact P-39 is probably the trickiest airplane in terms of weight placement. My Academy one very un-firmly stands on its front wheel. You do not have any options to put lead behind the cockpit etc. 

So metal loads and dedicated slots for putting it is a superb decision.

I have two MPM re-boxes of the Academy P-39. Now that I pre-ordered two of the Arma kits, I'm about to start building these out of the way. The instructions say 7g, is it so that you can't fit enough stuff in the nose? I've got Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity, but it's not as heavy as I would wish. 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 04:08, ruudster said:

Pre-ordered the P-39Q and the new P-51B/C boxing.  Now i wait, again...

Good morning

I am a weak man I preordered them too ( 47 euros post charges included ..).

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 10:58 PM, rickpeck said:

The extra 'armor' on the nose and engine panels were odd and reason I didn't buy anymore

RS used pictures of the relevant panels popped open as a reference. I had to take pictures of my fingers under the panels to convince them - I was measuring up a real one. It's actually pretty easy to put some tape around the panels and sand them down. In most other respects the RS kit is pretty good, certainly better in shape than every 1/72 predecessor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

RS used pictures of the relevant panels popped open as a reference. I had to take pictures of my fingers under the panels to convince them - I was measuring up a real one. It's actually pretty easy to put some tape around the panels and sand them down. In most other respects the RS kit is pretty good, certainly better in shape than every 1/72 predecessor.

Not that I'm an expert on Airacobra, but wasn't this cannon cover overlapped (and chamfered)?

On 29/08/2022 at 11:24, TheKinksFan said:

I have two MPM re-boxes of the Academy P-39. Now that I pre-ordered two of the Arma kits, I'm about to start building these out of the way. The instructions say 7g, is it so that you can't fit enough stuff in the nose? I've got Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity, but it's not as heavy as I would wish. 

I remember pushing quite a load of pieces of lead into narrow area between wheel bay and fuselage top side and one lead weight was arranged behind the spinner. And my Cobra falls on its tail if you accidentally shake a shelf. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I am a weak man I preordered them too ( 47 euros post charges included ..).

Best Regards

Patrice

To make you feel better: for me it would end up at 110 euros charges included. I passed :(

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

To make you feel better: for me it would end up at 110 euros charges included. I passed :(

Good afternoon Torbjorn

Incredible Is it really that expensive to send 2 kits from Poland to Norway ? but I understand that You passed ...

Best Regards

Patrice

On 28/08/2022 at 16:47, Trenton guy said:

Ah, that long age Seahawk !!!  Nose weight but no wheel wells. You can’t have everything. Those Frog kits are very fondly remembered, even if they did cost 2 1/2 times what an Airfix series 1 did.

Not only the Sea Hawk, but IMMSMW a Hunter, Canberra ,Venom , Sabre, Meteor and Javelin, all with u/c but as you say no wheel wells !

Wulfman

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Not only the Sea Hawk, but IMMSMW a Hunter, Canberra ,Venom , Sabre, Meteor and Javelin, all with u/c but as you say no wheel wells !

Wulfman

And a Scimitar, sort of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Shipping prices have increased quite a bit and in many cases exceed the cost of the kit, killing sales I’m sure. I received a handful of 1/72 Spitfires from Hannant’s, 2 Airfix, 2 Eduard and 1 AZ. I can fit the contents of both Airfix Spitfires and the AZ Spitfire in to one Eduard box! Oversized boxes are a marketing thing, when retail shops were plenty (Wow look how big the box is!) Revell uses this tactic, but the boxes are flimsy, end opening, and the contents get slammed around in shipping, causing unnecessary damage and in many cases bumps the shipping costs up. Arma’s boxes are end opening like Revell but the trees fit snugly in the box.
I wonder what the percentage on retail shelves is as opposed to online ordering. These things are making a big difference now.

Cheers

Jeff

Hmm...  it differs wildly though, those shipping costs.

My last AH order:

70040 F-6C Mustang™ Expert Set! + 70038a P-51 B/C Mustang (overtrees)   €30.76

EDUCX620 P-51B/C masks 1/72 !€5.61

Value of shopping cart: €36.37
Cost of delivery: €8.48

:shrug:

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks @Tbolt The kit looks to be incredible and you can make any Airacobra from D to Q and P-400 with the contents. 3 different propellers, different exhaust types, different weapons, this is setting the bar once again.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

Wow! Thanks @Tbolt The kit looks to be incredible and you can make any Airacobra from D to Q and P-400 with the contents. 3 different propellers, different exhaust types, different weapons, this is setting the bar once again.

Cheers

Jeff

Yes looks impressive. I just wish some one would release some more decals for P-39's now. You listening Exito? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

Hmm...  it differs wildly though, those shipping costs.

That’s exactly what I do now, by putting together an order like that, you deferred the shipping costs. However you are in Europe and I am in Canada, I am finding it hard to get shipping under €25. If I were to order one P-39, the shipping is €25! My 5 spitfires and goodies from Hannant’s cost €26 shipping, the goods were about €150 plus no VAT, however Canada Post are nabbing me with taxes now and I had to pay $29 Cdn. on top of that.

Cheers

Jeff

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

however Canada Post are nabbing me with taxes now

Oh that's standard when I get stuff from outside the EU.  I take it into account when ordering stuff, be it from Japan, Korea, Australia, US or the UK.

So... maybe I should instate a smuggling line for our non-EU friends wanting a P-39? :P

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I can fit the contents of both Airfix Spitfires and the AZ Spitfire in to one Eduard box! Oversized boxes are a marketing thing, when retail shops were plenty

The size of the boxes is closely related to the size of the moulds and the standard of packing into the bulk cartons. No one increases the size of boxes without a specific reason. In the case of Eduard, the sprues barely fit into the old boxes and the size was increased a few years ago to avoid damage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

The size of the boxes is closely related to the size of the moulds

I did notice that there was no play with the Eduard trees, they fit snugly against the sides. Their tree runners are spread wide so there’s not much problem with stacking, and rubbing. However a lot of other companies moulds have smaller tree runners in one mould, making them fit in a smaller box. Revell on the other hand…a frequent complaint I see on BM are the oversized Revell flimsy boxes.

Space is at a premium in my little room, so I remove components from the trees and put in ziplock bags. Then into a plastic bin, it saves space and my wife’s eyes don’t bug out when she only sees the bins instead of a huge stack of boxes 😉 

Cheers

Jeff

Eduard's Spits usually fit 2 in a box, easily. 

Btw: same goes for most Arma Hobby kits, the runners they use are stackable (the little weird looking plugs).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Silly me for asking a stupid question, but didn't the late P-39Q’s come with 4 blade props ? If so I wonder if that will be catered to by Aftermarket or in a later boxing ? 

"The propeller in the model comes in three variants that changed lightly with the versions. So we have included a Curtiss propeller with a diameter of 10 feet and 5 inches and the exact size propeller from Aeroproduct. The kit also has a larger 11 ‘7’ ‘Aeroporoduct propeller. I did not decide to add the 4-blade propeller that appeared in the last P-39Q units."

This acording to Marcin Ciepierski in the link posted by @Tbolt above.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Silly me for asking a stupid question, but didn't the late P-39Q’s come with 4 blade props ? If so I wonder if that will be catered to by Aftermarket or in a later boxing ? 

Yes, I think about 200 Q’s had a 4 blade Aero Products propeller, So I think that may be an aftermarket thing. It might have been considered by Arma, but with such a small number having them, opted out.

It was Q-21 to Q-25, so maybe more than 200

Cheers
Jeff

Edited by MrB17
Additional info
  • Like 1