Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

Nice. A P-39! I know they won't release one with any Soviet markings, but I already have Soviet markings, so it looks like I'll soon have my third Soviet 'Kobra'.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

What’s wrong with the RS one that makes no one want to build it? Asking since I picked one up at a sale.

I would not be surprised if quite a few people did not know of its existence. I bought one myself a couple of years ago and will make it at some point, it's waiting its turn.

I don't want to open that can of worms, so this is my personal opinion only - a P-39Q without Soviet markings at 25 euro is a hard pass for me. It's a beautiful plane and I wouldn't mind adding a PTO P-39D/L in USAAF markings but the Q's combat career was mostly with the Red Air Force, and at that steep price I am not buying extra decal sheets for a single build... Sadly, because I expect it to be a great kit.

Anyway. Any idea if the new P-51 boxing has new decals or the same ones from the Expert kit?

And while I'm at it asking questions, any idea if Arma are stopping production on the Yak-1b? Previously they even sold overtrees but I don't see either them or the basic boxing anymore, just the Expert one. 

• Like 5

I'm sure it'll be a great  kit but I'm no fan of the P39. I have to  say I'm  disappointed. But it's an excellent addition for those who like the type. 

No Soviet markings I note. Surprising given it's service. That probably explains the delay. Arma probably scrapped the original decal options.

Excellent choice. Hoping it leads to some further variants as well. Keep 'em coming Arma, us 1/72ers are forever grateful.

Edit: Reread the blog release again and already confirmed for a P-39D, P-400 and a Mk.I release. So I'm a happy camper. Just need some VVS options.

Edited by Yes_Man
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I would not be surprised if quite a few people did not know of its existence. I bought one myself a couple of years ago and will make it at some point, it's waiting its turn.

Scarcity is indeed a problem I had not considered.

1 hour ago, Torbjorn said:

What’s wrong with the RS one that makes no one want to build it? Asking since I picked one up at a sale.

Laid onto plans from Mushroom Yellow Series No.6106, RS kit fits quite well (miles ahead of the Academy shape-wise, as the fuselage is not 'squashed' in profile)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry for a bit of an OT!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Anyway. Any idea if the new P-51 boxing has new decals or the same ones from the Expert kit?

Your options

P-51B-15-NA Mustang, No. 43-248423/B6-S, “Old Crow”, pilot: Cpt. Clarence “Bud” Anderson, 363rd Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, June-July 1944.

P-51B-7-NA Mustang, No. 43-6964/C3-G, “The Mighty Midget”, pilot: 1st. Lt. James H. Clark, 382nd Fighter Squadron, 363rd Fighter Group, Maupertus, France, July 1944

P-51B-10-NA Mustang, No. 42-106473/G4-N , “Geronimo”, pilot: Cpt. John Pugh, 362nd Fighter Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, June 1944.

P-51B-15-NA Mustang, No. 42-106872/PE-T, “Patty Ann II”, pilot: John F. Thornell jr., 328th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group,

Schemes (and therefore decal options) will be published on the website shortly I guess.

Why else design a new box/art?

And while I'm at it asking questions, any idea if Arma are stopping production on the Yak-1b? Previously they even sold overtrees but I don't see either them or the basic boxing anymore, just the Expert one. 

Production runs are done in batches. If there are enough in stock, and projected sales are not fast then what you see in the store is what you get.

• Thanks 1

Strange that they are bothering to improve the design of some parts for 3D printing and the only way to get them is on preorder, I would have thought they could also sell well separately. I guess they will save them for a later, special edition boxing.

I don't want to open that can of worms, so this is my personal opinion only - a P-39Q without Soviet markings at 25 euro is a hard pass for me. It's a beautiful plane and I wouldn't mind adding a PTO P-39D/L in USAAF markings but the Q's combat career was mostly with the Red Air Force, and at that steep price I am not buying extra decal sheets for a single build... Sadly, because I expect it to be a great kit.

I look at it this way - it probably means we will get a Soviet only boxing with 3 or 4 markings.

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

and the only way to get them is on preorder

I understood they are doing this as a trial - the pre-order is in combination with plastic. I would presume if it proves successful, separate sales might follow.
Shipping of course will be a thing, unless AH decide to release them under the accessories label they used to do for other retailers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I understood they are doing this as a trial - the pre-order is in combination with plastic. I would presume if it proves successful, separate sales might follow.
Shipping of course will be a thing, unless AH decide to release them under the accessories label they used to do for other retailers.

It says not available separately, so I would guess a later, limited edition boxing if it all goes well.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 17:28, Tbolt said:

So, uncross the fingers, I’m disappointed , but I suppose an accurate P-39 is wanted by many !

Wulfman

I have a suspicion that boxings containing Soviet planes are not big sellers, outside RF that is. When taken into account how big proportion of P-39s were in Soviet service, it is noteworthy how small role they play in the RS Models, Hasegawa and Eduard boxings. And I don't think the main reason in any way ideological, but the Soviet planes were usually quite boring looking, and can't compete with nose art, shark jaws etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Who's good with US aviation history? North american and Lockheed were both south california area no? As for SF none spring to mind.

Bell was Buffalo, New York

Boeing - Seattle, Washington

Consolidated Vultee (Convair) was Texas

Douglas Aircraft - Long Beach, CA

Martin - Baltimore, Maryland 

Brewster was Long Island City, New York

Curtiss Aircraft was Buffalo, New York

Eastern Aircraft (GM) was Detroit

McDonnell Aircraft was St.Louis, Missouri

Grumman was Bethpage, NY on Long Island

Northrop was Los Angeles, California 

Piper Aircraft - Lock Haven, Pennsylvania 

Beech Aircraft - Wichita, Kansas

Cessna Aircraft - Wichita, Kansas

Vought-Sikorsky - Stratford, Connecticut 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

How big would a 1/72 Golden Gate Bridge be?  Maybe it is 1/144?

About 90 feet long by 3.5 feet tall! I don’t know if there’s an FS# for Golden Gate Orange.

I do love the box art though.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I have a suspicion that boxings containing Soviet planes are not big sellers, outside RF that is. When taken into account how big proportion of P-39s were in Soviet service, it is noteworthy how small role they play in the RS Models, Hasegawa and Eduard boxings. And I don't think the main reason in any way ideological, but the Soviet planes were usually quite boring looking, and can't compete with nose art, shark jaws etc.

It’s not like there aren’t plenty of aftermarket decals for VVS aircraft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

About 90 feet long by 3.5 feet tall! I don’t know if there’s an FS# for Golden Gate Orange.

I do love the box art though.

Cheers

Jeff

It’s more red than orange, although it depends on how the sun hits it

b91_1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

And the Hobby Boss one looks so bad I don't even class it as a P-39 😂

I have one to build as a racer, what's wrong about it? - away from the natural limitations of these easy build kits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarLos said:

I have one to build as a racer, what's wrong about it? - away from the natural limitations of these easy build kits.

I was wondering the same thing. I have one I'm ready to apply decals for to do Sultan Ahmet-Khan's aircraft. It looks like a P-39 to me.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1