Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

53 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I think that the new Arma kits are too expensive. Twenty quid for a single engined WW2 fighter? Jog on!

But! But! Photo etch! (hate it) Canopy masks! (fair enough, *if* they’re Kabuki tape. Vinyl is worse than useless and I resent paying for it and I’m still paying for the PE I won’t use.) We’re always made to wait for the junior editions and they always seem harder to find. Ant it would still cost me over twenty quid to get it to my door, even with the best discounts. Nah, I’m out.  

I get all that. One of the reasons I didn't pick up the Arma P-15B despite initially being excited about the release. The price killed it for me. I opted for the Academy kit instead and got four of them for the same money as one Arma kit. Not fussed about photo etch either, and I totally agree on the canopy masks. I can't get on with vinyl. Has to be Kabuki for me. In the end, I loved the Academy P-51B. Just picked up some Peewit canopy masks and a Yahu instrument panel and I was happy. Having said that, I did finish my first Arma kit recently. A Hurricane IIc. There's no denying they are beautiful kits. Probably one of the best I've ever built. Just wish I could afford more.

Steve

• occa changed the title to Arma Hobby are working on 'another 1/72 novelty that may come ... in (?) '
51 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Buy the simpler versions without the photo etch and masks.  There may be a more limited transfer sheet but since when has that bothered modellers?

But they’re still twenty quid delivered for the latest kits, *if* you can find one.

The Hurricanes and Wildcats are still a bit cheaper, but for how much longer, I don’t know. I think the Hurricane IIb is more expensive than the other Hurris, but I believe that’s down to the extra wing parts. I don’t know for sure as I don’t have one. 

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I think that the new Arma kits are too expensive. Twenty quid for a single engined WW2 fighter? Jog on!

But! But! Photo etch! (hate it) Canopy masks! (fair enough, *if* they’re Kabuki tape. Vinyl is worse than useless and I resent paying for it and I’m still paying for the PE I won’t use.) We’re always made to wait for the junior editions and they always seem harder to find. Ant it would still cost me over twenty quid to get it to my door, even with the best discounts. Nah, I’m out.  

Unfortunately comparative to a lot of kits now, look at the price of the Airfix 1/48th Buccaneer, or their 1/72nd Phantom which is nearly the same price as the far superior Fine Molds kit. I'm wondering what Arma's 1/48th scale Hurricane is going to cost.

Of course they make you wait for the basic kits, it makes marketing sense, though I do get fed up waiting for them sometimes.

Arma do use Kabuki tape for their masks, but there was one kit, I think the first boxing of the P-51B that used vinyl because they could not get any Kabuki ones made at that time unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I get that, and that is a very good reason not to care.  Arma will be spendy.  Just like IBG, Flyhawk, some Eduard.  That is just the market they are in.  For me, i'll pay the Tamiya, Arma, etc. price as that is exactly the kind of kit i enjoy to build (great surface detail, great engineering).  I like that it comes with masks too (i can take or leave the PE).  But that is not your bag.  Not a problem, got it.

• Like 4

Are we on page 15 yet? Haha 

I have been thinking too hard about this surprise, my brain hurts, patiently waiting for the email.

I am thinking and hoping Spitfire XIV  or V, but I am starting to wonder about a small twin ie. P-38, there aren’t any jaw dropping kits of that out there either.

Regarding prices, I try to make a list and order multiple items to amortize the Shipping costs, which are becoming unreasonably high, through no fault of the kit market. It all comes down to “OIL” the necessary evil. 

However, I would like to see Arma offer their “overtrees” separately, in the same way as Eduard. It must be profitable, because Eduard have been doing this for a long time now. It’s my only complaint about Arma.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

I am calling a 1/72 I have a few spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I would have a thought a P-36 unlikely with Clear Prop! doing the family and it would only be worth tooling for a TR9 if you are going to do other Mk's of Spit as well. I'd love to see a Mk.IV so they might as well do a mk.I to V 😀

• Like 1

Never ending wish list, ay?

Hope, that everyone will be surprised and glad of their choice of subject.

In the meantime - start on something in that pile of kits, you've in the corner/cupboard/attic 😜

Z

• Like 2

The reason for the P-51B being more than the Hurricane etc. is Boeing needs their license fee for Arma P-51B kit. The Acadamy kit is cheaper and if one adds aftermarket item is it that much cheaper? The nice thing about the Arma P-51B kit is that you can buy it or not. I built the Acadamy kit and Arma kit and had more problems with the Acadamy kit.

I like cockpits that look like the real aircraft so I will build the Arma kit. This pretty much is a too each their own thing.

What I hope is coming out here soon? I have couple of thoughts but most likely it will be a good kit whatever it is.

I do some model Railroading but the last five tears I don't buy much as a Nscale readymade Boxcar is the same price as one Arma P-51B kit . 

I still have a feeling it is going to be a French aircraft.

• Like 3

I will definitely fail, but if I were @Wojtek Bulhak or @GrzeM, I would have released a model of an aircraft that is missing in everybody's collection.

An American single-engined WWII military aircraft, manufactured in the number of over 10,000 (some say even almost 15,000), which in addition is associated with names such as Norma Jeane (later Marilyn Monroe) and Captain Ronald Reagan.

Moreover such a model even in 1:24 would be smaller than the 1:72 Hurricane, and in 1: 144 it would be the size of the 1:700 TBF Avenger.

For years I have been wondering why no one has figured it out yet ...

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I will definitely fail, but if I were @Wojtek Bulhak or @GrzeM, I would have released a model of an aircraft that is missing in everybody's collection.

An American single-engined WWII military aircraft, manufactured in the number of over 10,000 (some say even almost 15,000), which in addition is associated with names such as Norma Jeane (later Marilyn Monroe) and Captain Ronald Reagan.

Moreover such a model even in 1:24 would be smaller than the 1:72 Hurricane, and in 1: 144 it would be the size of the 1:700 TBF Avenger.

For years I have been wondering why no one has figured it out yet ...

Cheers

Michael

Are you talking about the Radioplane RP-4 Drone?  Don't think there's much of a demand for that.  (yes, I realize you were probably being sarcastic)  What I'm hoping for is a P-39 Airacobra.  Pretty significant type without a modern up-to-date example in plastic.   I know what Arma said about future releases not necessarily being tied to Polish heritage, but it's pretty significant in that regard too.  Here's to hoping....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rickpeck said:

The reason for the P-51B being more than the Hurricane etc. is Boeing needs their license fee for Arma P-51B kit. The Acadamy kit is cheaper and if one adds aftermarket item is it that much cheaper? The nice thing about the Arma P-51B kit is that you can buy it or not. I built the Acadamy kit and Arma kit and had more problems with the Acadamy kit.

I like cockpits that look like the real aircraft so I will build the Arma kit. This pretty much is a too each their own thing.

What I hope is coming out here soon? I have couple of thoughts but most likely it will be a good kit whatever it is.

I do some model Railroading but the last five tears I don't buy much as a Nscale readymade Boxcar is the same price as one Arma P-51B kit . 

I still have a feeling it is going to be a French aircraft.

Do you actually know what the percentage of the kit price is paying for the Boeing license? I suspect it's not a lot as the P-51B and F4F, which both have licensing only seem to be £1 more than the Ki-84 and the latest Hurricane boxings.

23 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Do you actually know what the percentage of the kit price is paying for the Boeing license? I suspect it's not a lot as the P-51B and F4F, which both have licensing only seem to be £1 more than the Ki-84 and the latest Hurricane boxings.

Sorry Tbolt I do not know how much Boeing gets for each model.

• Like 1

For anyone familiar with the Rick and Morty cartoons, this is starting to look alot like the Mr. Meeseek episode.

1/72 models speculation threads (and Mr. Meeseks) are created to serve one particular purpose and then disappear. They are not meant to live for this long!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvj8SwmKO7U

And yes, I agree with the smart gentleman from above who said IAR-80.

• Haha 2