Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

30 minutes ago, ltdann said:

How about an injection molded F2F-1?

I like that one! IIRC, Arma took over or was already partners with Attack Squadron - didn't AS do a resin F2F-1 some years ago?

John

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

I like that one! IIRC, Arma took over or was already partners with Attack Squadron - didn't AS do a resin F2F-1 some years ago?

John

With only 55 airframes built and the only operator being the US Navy, an F2F seems like a long shot.

we still don’t have a mainstream injection molded F3F in 1/72 and there were over 150 of those produced. Although, there is the superb ex-Accurate Miniatures kit in 1/48 and Monogram did it in 1/32.

How about a modern tooling of the Curtiss SBC-3/4 Helldiver? That, at least, had a significant combat history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking a Spitfire Vb. It would effectively complete the holy trinity of PAF-in-exile fighter types. There's a ton of research available to them in Poland, and Polish authors have been noted experts on the type. Also, an Arma Spitfire Vb would just be swell, so there's that, too.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I'm thinking a Spitfire Vb. It would effectively complete the holy trinity of PAF-in-exile fighter types. There's a ton of research available to them in Poland, and Polish authors have been noted experts on the type. Also, an Arma Spitfire Vb would just be swell, so there's that, too.

And as strange as this may seem, there is no modern accurate mainstream kit of the Spit Vb in 1/72 scale...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

And as strange as this may seem, there is no modern accurate mainstream kit of the Spit Vb in 1/72 scale...

But, given their penchant for doing things in 1/72 and 1/48, it seems almost certain that Eduard will do one along with the Mk.Vc, Mk.I, and Mk.II. 

I would also guess you are not counting the AZ Models kits, which are not quite mainstream IM but are otherwise reasonable representations of the type.

Just now, VMA131Marine said:

But, given their penchant for doing things in 1/72 and 1/48, it seems almost certain that Eduard will do one along with the Mk.Vc, Mk.I, and Mk.II. 

I would also guess you are not counting the AZ Models kits, which are not quite mainstream IM but are otherwise reasonable representations of the type.

Sadly Eduard seems to have lost its spirit of the "1/72 revolution" and it takes them years to bring to market a new 1/72 model like the imminent avia 199

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, steh2o said:

Sadly Eduard seems to have lost its spirit of the "1/72 revolution" and it takes them years to bring to market a new 1/72 model like the imminent avia 199

It’s true! They are not releasing new 1/72 kits as fast as might be desired. I’d really like them to scale down their Camel to 1/72 as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

It’s true! They are not releasing new 1/72 kits as fast as might be desired. I’d really like them to scale down their Camel to 1/72 as well.

That would sell well enough to be worth it economically - however there are certainly other subjects that are more lucrative :(

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Given how they farmed out their 109E to Special Hobby for the 1/72 kit, it might be that they've done the same with Arma, who they also have a very close partnership with, cf. the Arma Hurricane reboxed as a profipack.

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’d go for a F4U-4 or -5. There’s nothing very good out there at present. I have a stack of FAH decals ready for them ;)

Good call! The most easily available kit is the Italeri and it has serious issues because Italeri got confused about the differences between the variants. High Planes did a -5N and a -7, but they are not easy builds.

15 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm not a big fan of the Kovozavody/AZ Spitfire V kits, IMHO they are lacking in several aspects. Yes they are somewhere in between proper mainstream and short runs, but this is to me less of a problem compared to other things.

Regarding Eduard, their Mk.VIII/IX/XVI are the benchmark today when it comes to 1/72 Spitfires and yes it is possible that they will follow their current 1/48 Mk.Vs with a series in 1/72. Don't know when but at some point it may well happen. I'll be very happy that day but of course I wouldn't say no to anyone giving me similarly nice kits before Eduard. Yes I'm one of those that can't have enough Spitfires...

A couple other comments to bits I've read in the thread...

Wildcat: really I can't see the criticism against Arma's Wildcat, is there any other better kit on the market in this scale ? I can't think of any

Hurricane: I may be wrong but I've seen the Arma Hurricane described as overpriced... how ? I paid the ones I have €12 for the basic box, that still gives two decal options. It is roughly the same money I have to pay here for say an Airfix series 2 kit or a Italeri kit of a fighter of similar size and some Airfix and Italeri kits of WW2 single engined fighters cost more... for the detail in the box and the quality of the plastic to me the Hurricanes at €12 are great value for money ! The only kit of a similar aircraft I've paid less in the last year have been a couple of Revell kits, that have always been cheap but are today showing their age in terms of flash, and the recent Revell Spitfire II, that is nowhere near Arma quality and actually is even worse than Revell's own older kits... I know that value for money is a personal thing and the same £10 can be nothing to someone and a lot to someone else and all of that, personally I can say that I'd rather spend €12 for a product like the Arma Hurricane than € for something like the Revell Spitfire II...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

A couple other comments to bits I've read in the thread...

Wildcat: really I can't see the criticism against Arma's Wildcat, is there any other better kit on the market in this scale ? I can't think of any

Hurricane: I may be wrong but I've seen the Arma Hurricane described as overpriced... how ? I paid the ones I have €12 for the basic box, that still gives two decal options.

It has been pointed out before, not all but most of the people complaining about price are in the UK, where it costs more. I just had a look at Hannants, and the cheapest in stock are a penny under £13.00. The Junior Hurricane Mk1 is billed as a re-release not yet available, and that will be £14.80.  So 12 Euros is quite a bit cheaper than what we get.  Okay, Hannants aren't the cheapest, but there are no longer that many mail-order stores within the UK, and as soon as you have to buy from abroad the prices get really silly so that doesn't help.

Personally, I still don't think they're overpriced, yet, because virtually everything else is going up as well, and they are very good kits.

Un-drifting the thread: my main area is WW1 so whatever they come out with probably will not be something I regard as essential, but depending on the exact subject I may get one of whatever anyway if I can, because I like what they make.

Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

It might be another jet? Or a P-47 of some kind. Or even a Curtiss Hawk 75/P-36

Now there's a thought! Of course, a F-84F!!! The backbone of NATO forces that kit manufacturers have forgotten (in 1/72!) :) I was also going to say it is something that thankfully cant be issued in IDFAF markings, but then I remembered the French!! ;) 

Or how about a decent P/F-80?

• Like 5

At least so far, ARMA doesn’t do big. They also don’t get caught in a rut. If it is really novel I would look for something like an MS-406.

If only just novel, then F4F-3. Whatever it is I’ll buy it. For my money ARMA are the best there is right now.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Now there's a thought! Of course, a F-84F!!! The backbone of NATO forces that kit manufacturers have forgotten (in 1/72!) :) I was also going to say it is something that thankfully cant be issued in IDFAF markings, but then I remembered the French!! ;) 

And you can't do an F-84F without do an RF-84F 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 8:08 AM, KRK4m said:

A good Breguet XIX, Miles Master, F-84F or F9F-6 Cougar would definitely be useful ....

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

As you can see, it is also my favourite. In addition, the F-84F is so much easier that we have a museum example in Poland received a few years ago from Belgium.

As for the F-80, the brilliant Platz T-33 kit has recently been released, re-boxed for Europe by Italeri. I think the conversion to the F-80C is not too much for a moderately experienced modeller, and it is only a matter of months before Platz (or Italeri) sees it.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

As you can see, it is also my favourite. In addition, the F-84F is so much easier that we have a museum example in Poland received a few years ago from Belgium.

As for the F-80, the brilliant Platz T-33 kit has recently been released, re-boxed for Europe by Italeri. I think the conversion to the F-80C is not too much for a moderately experienced modeller, and it is only a matter of months before Platz (or Italeri) sees it.

Cheers

Michael

Excellent, and why not! ;) 

Regarding the Platz kit, I asked Platz before about an F-80 but they apparently have no plans for that. :( 

My dream list is , Nieuport 11/16 , Breguet 19, a better Albatros D-III (OEF) or Spitfire MK V.

As for price for the P-51B. Yes on Ebay the price is high for these but getting them direct from Arma is cheaper when buying more. I have ordered 10 so far by getting 5 each time. Including shipping and kit price this ends up being around $23 dollars. Yes shipping seems high because it is Fed ex but you get tracking and it get to me in the US 7 to 10 days . To me a good price but getting just one P-51B kit it will cost more. Sometimes a P-51B fetish pays off when one has to get more than one I guess.

• Like 1