Arma Hobby NEW 1:72 P-39Q Airacobra

occa

We are working on another 1/72 novelty that may come instead of Hurricane (<-- from the text I take it they mean their 1/48 kit) in June

^^ taken from their Newsletter ^^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

https://www.armahobby.com/70055-p-39q-airacobra.html?utm_source=armahobbynews&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=P-39&utm_term=P-39-zapowiedz&utm_content=en

big_70055-web-1.jpg?lm=1661351364

http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2022/08/24/p-39-airacobra-model-kit-annoucement/?utm_source=implebot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=P-39&utm_term=P-39-zapowiedz&utm_content=en

big_p39-render-007.jpg?lm=1661350069

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

This time I hope for a real novelty, not just a new tooling for already existing type with 20% improvement and 20% regression against already available kits.

What regression do you mean?

Have you seen a better Hurricane, a better Wildcat or a better Mustang on the 1/72 market?

Cheers

Michael

• Like 7

TS-11 Iskra, PZL P-7 and P-11, Fokker E.V, Hurricane, Yak-1 and P-51B were most welcomed releases bringing great advance over the existing kits on the market.

However, Wildcat and the announced P-51D were not that necessary as they don't provide that much improvement over what is already here.

The Ki-84 is a total mistery to me as I really (unlike the majority here) don't see the need for it, especially if based on J.T.s plans.

You have fancy new technology, great PR with published 3D CADs, eye-catching markings and other treats, but then you have some funny drawbacks like visible 

3D surface treatment and other small glitches better described elsewhere here, which have not been present on previous kits.

I don't want to open a discussion about it, I just simply hope for a subject really needed and not for something already quite well covered.

20 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

something already quite well covered.

Money is made by the release of subjects that are already covered, that's why there're plenty of Mustangs, Bf 109s, Fw 190s, Spitfires and Hurricanes. 

The Hayate I think isn't that known outside the Japanese scale modelling world, so a new tool of it gave Arma the edge in that unknown market. The Hasegawa Hayate was originally tooled in 1967, a long time ago.

Edit: 1987. Thanks Fukuryu!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

The Hayate I think isn't that known outside the Japanese scale modelling world, so a new tool of it gave Arma the edge in that unknown market. The Hasegawa Hayate was originally tooled in 1967, a long time ago.

1987. I now that Gardel said that 20 years are nothing, but still... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guesses:

P-39

MiG-3

P-38F/G/H

Update: Well, well, well! I guessed right for once. I think this is a great choice for Arma; lots of different colour schemes and marking options and there really isn’t a great available kit. The Academy kit has accuracy issues and has been around for 20+ years. There is the RS Models kit but that is more limited run. Obviously, Arma will do the P-39Q and N. It will be interesting to see which other variants they have planned.

Edited by VMA131Marine
Kit was announced
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Hasegawa's Hayate isn't the latest Hayate kit in 1/72nd scale, something also happened in 2008 and 2010.

I know (because I built them) all the previous Hayate models in 1:72. The first was a 1964 Revell with a thick, opening canopy and a side engine hatch. A year later Tamiya came out - much more delicate in details, but still a simple build. Hasegawa set new standards in 1987, and Sword in 2008 only had a better interior and a lot of technological complexities, translating into difficult construction. When you write 2010, you probably mean the Ki-106 from RS - I don't know it, because I don't build prototypes in general.

Also I don't know if the market needed the new Wildcat or the P-51B more. But the Sword FM-2 was extremely nasty in construction, and the AH one sticks together almost by itself. And the finished one looks better, so don't blame it on wasted effort.

Surely you are right that there are many planes that we lack good models more than those released by Arma, for example I suffer from the Great War-era deficiencies - Farmans, Caudrons, DFWs, two-seater Albatrosses, etc. Another field for exploration are Russian machines - UT-2, MiG-3, Yak-7 and 9, LaGG-3. But here the hindering factor is today's political situation, and God only knows when that will change.

A good Breguet XIX, Miles Master, F-84F or F9F-6 Cougar would definitely be useful (try building it using the F9F-8 kit...). But this is where the market decides - it is still able to absorb more Bf109s, Spitfires or Fw190s, and the model manufacturer is not a charity - he tries to live off his business. And the circle is closed.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 10

I guess it depends what they mean by novelty. The fact they say "another novelty" ( which must be referring to the Ki-84 ), they probably mean something that's a bit different from their previous kits. I don't think a Ki-84 was, though it was the first WWII axis aircraft they've done so maybe that's all they mean. Maybe something with four engines or something Italian?

I'd love to see a new IK-3 or Breda 88 kit, but I suspect Arma Hobby won't depart that far from their current kits.

12 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess it depends what they mean by novelty.

Maybe we're reading a bit too much into that 'novelty' thing. Might be a translation quirk, wouldn't be the first time it just means a 'new kit/something new' .  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Maybe we're reading a bit too much into that 'novelty' thing. Might be a translation quirk, wouldn't be the first time it just means a 'new kit/something new' .  

Yes I did wonder about that and that's why I said it depends what they mean by novelty. Though one of the definitions of novelty is "a small and inexpensive toy" 😂

I think 'novelty' may just be referring to a new kit rather than any else. It could easily be a quirk in translation, given how difficult an accurate translation from language into another can be. English, being such a mix of other languages and full of exceptions. Also a lot of people confuse UK English with another language (US English). 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess it depends what they mean by novelty. The fact they say "another novelty" ( which must be referring to the Ki-84 ), they probably mean something that's a bit different from their previous kits. I don't think a Ki-84 was, though it was the first WWII axis aircraft they've done so maybe that's all they mean. Maybe something with four engines or something Italian?

I'd love to see a new IK-3 or Breda 88 kit, but I suspect Arma Hobby won't depart that far from their current kits.

It'd be time someone does a decent Mc.202/205! (Arma are you reading?)

Arma showed time and again what can be achieved if the goal of your work is accuracy. Yes they are not perfect, but what they produce until now is THE best for each choosen subject (the closest match still being the Hurry Mk.I, Arma Vs Airfix). Personally I'm waiting this new kit with open arms

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Whatever they release they will sell( subject wise), but their prices are getting out of hand.

With the price of petrol/oil, engery and shipping costs being a lot higher now, there's porbably nothing they can do about the small increase in their kit prices if they still actually want to make a profit. Look at the fairly recent increase in the price of ICM kits and that was before the current conflict.

• Like 2