Hasegawa Nissan Fairlady 240ZG 1/24

Chimpion

Hope you don't mind if I join in with this :

spacer.png

It was a Christmas present in 2020 from my "Fairlady". It'll be interesting to see it alongside a Lotus Europa, Lamborghini Miura and Ferraro 250 GTO in the cabinet.

• Like 7

Here are the contents (sorry about the shadow in the first picture) :

spacer.png

spacer.png

One challenge might be getting the right paint - there is a Tamiya spray can in the box art colour, but it seems to be hard to get hold of.

The paint number 92 is an interesting one - I think I'll resist the temptation to comment further.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

welcome along to the GB and with a really lovely choice.

I think this has to be one of the most iconic cars every released from Japan. She was so lovely with fantastic lines (not 100% sure about the guard extensions on this model) and she still looks great today.... and frightened expensive to boot!!

It looks to be a nice straightforward model too, colour choice is always hard, will be interesting to see what you go with.

Good luck with the build, another great one to follow.

• 2 months later...

Well even for my normally slow build rate this is embarrassing. The good news is that I've started making some progress at last. The bad news is that I've got hardly any chance of finishing on time now. The decals for the dials were a right pain. The dials are recessed so far that the decals sit on top of any water or setting solution that gets underneath them and float to the wrong rotation and position as soon as they're touched. On the plus side, the dials are so recessed that no one will ever see them.

Not my finest start to a model, and to be honest something of a Mojo killer. Hopefully things will get a bit easier from here on....

spacer.png

• Like 4

Keep going! It's such a cool car. 

Years ago I owned an MG B and the gearbox died in a Supersprint event (my first and last) and the mechanic offered to replace it with a Datsun 240Z gearbox (240Z is what we call this Fairlady here). I paid a pretty penny for it but it was about the same as replacement MGB box and it totally transformed that car from something you had to nurse around into something you could give a proper flogging. In the end the car died of old age but the gearbox was still rock solid. 

Keep going!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will keep posting, but with only a week to go before my holiday and an overnight business trip before then I know I won't meet the deadline. I'll continue to report on progress here as if it were a normal WIP.

That's ok if you can't make it, not everyone manages to.

The threads remain open so feel free to post updates, there'll be plenty who will want to follow the build. So please finish her as they were and still are awesome looking cars!! 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is hopefully my last update for the next two weeks, and barring an extension to the GB this means I'm missing the deadline as I feared. I say hopefully, as we're due to set off on holiday tomorrow, but I just found out this morning that someone I met on a business trip this week has tested positive for Covid. I'm still clear at the moment, but if I post further progress in the next few days it means I had to delay the holiday departure.

I've made progress on the chassis and floorpan. I followed the instructions and sprayed the engine bay before realizing that none of it will be visible, so I didn't bother with another coat to even out the colour. The black on the inside needs another coat, but the underside is pretty much ready for the gearbox and drivetrain. You can see the silver gearbox waiting alongside - I'll give it a quick wash to bring out the detail before glueing it in place. Those parts which I have assembled (radiator, pedals, etc.) fitted with no issues.

I've also added the nose to the body and am trying to decide whether to add the wheel arches before painting, spraying the body (Tamiya spray can), then brush painting the arches (either enamel or acrylic), or to paint the arches separately then glue them to the painted body (with the risk of damaging the paint or struggling to get good adhesion). Any advice would be welcome!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hopefully we'll get to see some progress on this one....and maybe in the gallery???

Unfortunately there won't be any more progress for another week as I'm away on holiday. Sorry I didn't make the deadline,, but I will continue to post updates in this thread.