Do-17E, A/88, Legion Condor, 1937...RS Models 1/72nd scale OOB

Wow, this kit is really challenging. RS kits remind me of some older short run kits (mid to late 1990s) which proved to be quite a challenge to build back then. Shows that they are still a generation behind other short run manufacturers.

One really wonders if this represents an improvement compared to the old Airfix kit (which is still quite nice).

I hope you persevere on this one.

Cheers

Markus

Looks like a horrible kit, so I'm looking forward to trying to build mine! I love a good challenge. I'm starting to think though that an old Airfix one with a couple of aftermarket bits might be the best E/F, the exterior detailing isn't even that bad. For the price you can get old Airfix Do17s at you probably wouldn't even spend any more than on the RS kit even with a bit of aftermarket.

• Like 4

Nice looking kit.  Not my cup of tea, but I recall the Airfix Dornier that seems to be forgotten

about .

I always remember my dad giving the 217 E kit for Christmas way, way back

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looks like Airfix it is then

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'm starting to think though that an old Airfix one with a couple of aftermarket bits might be the best E/F, the exterior detailing isn't even that bad.

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

but I recall the Airfix Dornier that seems to be forgotten

about .

8 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

One really wonders if this represents an improvement compared to the old Airfix kit (which is still quite nice).

The gods have spoken.  This is like the story of the guy who drowned and God had already sent him a radio warning, a rowboat and a helicopter.  It's time fish or cut bait, as they say.

52059604672_82a5ba0aca_z_d.jpg

52060678728_fa14de0c1e_z_d.jpg

52061137205_6866c3cdcf_z_d.jpg

I'll be salvaging the decals from the RS kit which are quite nice.  I also think it's time to go through the stash and pull out all the RS kits I have and put them in a box in storage.  

--John

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Looking at the Airfix  parts above, it looks  to be much better kit. Even from the 1970s!  I recall building one and found it to be rather nice.

The box art was with the earlier original ste with full background action and white bordered lid.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I wonder if you could salvage some of the cockpit parts for the Airfix kit as well as the decals?

Good idea.  A bit of surgery and salvage...

8 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Is that a fresh purchase, or retrieved from the stash?

It was in the stash and meant to be the second of two builds.  Now only a single build planned.  Keep it simple...😄

43 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Looking at the Airfix  parts above, it looks  to be much better kit. Even from the 1970s!  I recall building one and found it to be rather nice.

I think it'll turn out quite nice.

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Sometimes the bad kits just need to be binned. Then we're off to a new start with a better one! V-P

I agree on with accounts!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Wise decision. Some kits are simply not worth one's sanity (only applicable if you consider yourself sane of course 😉). 

I agree.  Sane in some ways, other ways--happily somewhere out in left field.  I'll bin it and start anew when I return from Athens next week.  I'm off-island as of 10:45 this morning...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 7:17 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to see the RS kit was so bad, I do like the Airfix kit and need to find one soon. I have a special interest developing in the Spanish Civil War. 

Yes...me too.  All of those "In Between the Wars"  conflicts are interesting if only for the wide variety of aircraft used, many of which were terribly obsolete or used for purposes other than for what they were originally designed.  

• Like 3

Back home now.  I'll get back to the bench tomorrow and play catch-up with what's happening.  

That is, I'll be scrapping this one and beginning a new thread with the Airfix kit...👌

I might try to salvage something.

• Like 3

On 07/05/2022 at 05:53, John Masters said:

This also reminds me that the P-38 kit they released (a howler of a dog) a few years ago is fine except that the cockpit doesn't fit.  Other issues probably too...but still.  I binned mine and saved the decals.  

I attempted to build that kit for the P-38 STGB a few years ago.  Despite the problems I was determined to complete it but then I accidentally knocked a bottle of liquid cement over it...   :wall:   I salvaged the engine nacelles and grafted them on to an Academy kit.  :lol:  

I am also building the RS Models Do 17E kit in this GB.  I was wondering which markings scheme to do.  As you are doing the Spanish Civil War scheme, I'll go for the pre-war Luftwaffe one. 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I am also building the RS Models Do 17E kit in this GB.  I was wondering which markings scheme to do.  As you are doing the Spanish Civil War scheme, I'll go for the pre-war Luftwaffe one. 

Thanks Enzo.  I'm continuing the SCW Do 17 with the Airfix kit, using the RS Model decals.

This thread is now abandoned...😥