Do-17E, A/88, Legion Condor, 1937...RS Models 1/72nd scale OOB

Here's the box art...

52008606186_a5e2835b60_c_d.jpg

A profile...

52007581222_087a80228b_c_d.jpg

From above...

52007581232_a12ba8cb2d_c_d.jpg

Sprue...nice little bit of PE.  Probably for the cockpit.  Might skip it.  I also have an old Airfix kit (light blue plastic) that, if I am able, I will make as the Croat bird.

52008851334_f68f72d94b_c_d.jpg

See you all in a bit!

--John

• Like 10

• John Masters changed the title to Do-17E, A/88, Legion Condor, 1937...RS Models 1/72nd scale OOB
7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Welcome, John! Variety is the spice of a modeler's life too,

Thanks.  It will be interesting.  I will cross my fingers.  The last RS kit I tried to build was one of their P-38 kits and I binned it after a day.  Terrible.  I saved the decals though.  They were ok.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 12:52 PM, Adam Poultney said:

I'll be following this! I have a different box of the same kit to build, if I find the time for it, in this group build

I'll be starting this tonight now that I have bench space.

• Like 2

Hmmm...yes...RS Models.  Short run quality for sure.  I will need to be using filler and adjusting a lot of smaller pieces, probably replacing with scratch some too. 

Last night's labours...

52051319076_44af5f7a60_z_d.jpg

All the pieces required cleaning up and edge sanding, sprue gate removal, etc...I skipped some of the PE. Too small and it won't be seen anyway.

52051350638_d84c57dd91_z_d.jpg

To jump ahead bit.  No mounting pins and very little specific direction as to where and how the interior of the cockpit is supposed fit.  Trial and error. really.  In the end it all went in and a test of the two fuselage halves proved that I did it right.  There was some tough language involved.  I'll prime it this morning and may leave it that cooler with some washes and dry brushing.  It was grey anyway.

52051319066_4f1483d419_z_d.jpg

While all that set up, I jumped ahead to the tail section and the engine nacelles.

For the purposes of painting and decals I will wait until the end to attach the control horns (parts 58).

I did use a drill and open up the holes for the control horns a slight bit however.

52051555269_3edbfd7786_z_d.jpg

And obviously I will not attach the propeller yet.

52051319091_a1d343c302_z_d.jpg

Now, the exhaust pipes.  Hmm...I had to drill out the ports first and a test fit showed that the exhaust pipe pieces are too short.  I will replace them with plastic tube when the time is right.

52051555139_7b0f7025e8_z_d.jpg

52051555174_66e1a5cc95_z_d.jpg

However, the nacelles and the tail section came together reasonably well.  Once again, very little in the way of specific direction from the kit.  More a 'feel your way' as you go and also consult the parts diagram a lot to make sure you have the correct piece!

52050266427_d851e478bb_z_d.jpg

Have my tubes of Milliput and PPP at the ready.

--John

• Like 9

John , you say " No mounting pins and very little specific direction as to where and how the interior of the cockpit is supposed fit "  if there is a cockpit that seems to be disconnected and floating in the air the Do17 family must be close to the top of the list . Trying to organize this kit must be a fun challenge . It looks like the detail supplied in the kit is comprehensive . 

Helps us doing modern state of the art molded kits realize how easy we have it . 

Went to  Porthmadog for a holiday in march and a local told me the Milliput factory was just up the road . Nice to know you will be helping their economy in these tough times :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Nice progress, John! V-P

56 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

John , you say " No mounting pins and very little specific direction as to where and how the interior of the cockpit is supposed fit "  if there is a cockpit that seems to be disconnected and floating in the air the Do17 family must be close to the top of the list . Trying to organize this kit must be a fun challenge . It looks like the detail supplied in the kit is comprehensive . 

Helps us doing modern state of the art molded kits realize how easy we have it . 

Went to  Porthmadog for a holiday in march and a local told me the Milliput factory was just up the road . Nice to know you will be helping their economy in these tough times :)

14 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Impressive progress, John

Thank you @vppelt68

Yes, @Mottlemaster.  I will be using some Milliput for sure.  And, after building such other lovingly engineered kits, these types are a challenge, mostly to my patience!😄

Thank you @81-er.  Component building serves me well in this stead.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely John - hope my RS Ki-100 is better designed/explained but having seen the instructions for the cockpit interior I doubt it - there is at least one bit, probably a gunsight, that makes very little sense as shown!

Pete

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Coming along nicely John - hope my RS Ki-100 is better designed/explained but having seen the instructions for the cockpit interior I doubt it - there is at least one bit, probably a gunsight, that makes very little sense as shown!

These are odd kits for sure.  I'm not keen on the soft plastic actually.  It feels a bit rubbery.  I'm sure it'll build up fine.

• Like 1

The wing sections came together easily but caution to anyone building this kit, or one like it.  The molded control horns are small and fragile. I broke off four without knowing.

52054843193_720359bdf5_z_d.jpg

The broken pieces...I'll replace them with plastic material.  I gave the wheel bays some RLM02

52054843088_6a4c619896_z_d.jpg

The interior is all ready and painted.  I'll put the fuselage halves together when all is dry.  I test fit proved successful.  Alas, naught but the pilot seat will be visible.

52053765847_6250f6b00e_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

Really nice work John.👍

Pointing out what will or will not be visible after the fuselages are glued together is actually very helpful to those of us considering this kit (or the old Airfix one) and wondering how much detail to add or bother with.

🇺🇦

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Pointing out what will or will not be visible after the fuselages are glued together is actually very helpful to those of us considering this kit (or the old Airfix one) and wondering how much detail to add or bother with.

Thank you...I agree.  Wasted energy in some ways unless one's goal is different.  This also reminds me that the P-38 kit they released (a howler of a dog) a few years ago is fine except that the cockpit doesn't fit.  Other issues probably too...but still.  I binned mine and saved the decals.  

• Like 1

Look on the positive side, John, it gives you the opportunity to practice your skills for when you build a model that has a visible cockpit ;)

James

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, 81-er said:

Look on the positive side, John, it gives you the opportunity to practice your skills for when you build a model that has a visible cockpit ;)

Right!

Fuselage together...

52059163424_22264bde72_z_d.jpg

This was difficult.  With no mounting pins I glued it piecemeal with CA, added some Tamiya thin in the inside of the seam...wiggled it around a bit.  Finally got everything to be in line, more or less.  I removed the bulkhead and refitted it later...I'll explain in a bit.

52059163404_0c05d61b95_z_d.jpg

52059411575_4caceecc48_z_d.jpg

A lot of fettling go me to this test-fit point.  Not great.  I did improve the whole thing but had to sand down the top of the bulkhead, file down this piece, that piece...not surprising really given the overall moulding quality of the kit.  It will be more snug but I will still need some Milliput (not PPP) to smooth surfaces and fill gaps.  And CA.  That too.

52059411615_545879345d_z_d.jpg

A tis fit of the tail pieces showed a serious skew to the tail end and also the overall look of the back end of the 'pencil.'

52059442700_3f12e42524_z_d.jpg

Now...the engine nacelles.  Not really sure what to do abut these.  No photos (later) yet but suffice to say they don't really fit at all.  I'll fettle some more. however I may have to make a drastic decision regarding this build.  Egads.  RS Models.  I have the classic old Airfix kit...

--John

• Like 3

Well you do face some 3 dimensional problem solving there John . I do hope you find a fix . Do you think these fit issues are common to all RS models range of Do17 or do you have a particularly poor example ?

Anyway good luck 

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

some nasty fit issues for a new kit.

Yes.  Once again, I am very unhappy with RS.  It seems the legacy of their P-38 lives on!

3 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Well you do face some 3 dimensional problem solving there John . I do hope you find a fix . Do you think these fit issues are common to all RS models range of Do17 or do you have a particularly poor example ?

Anyway good luck 

Thanks @Mottlemaster. I will need some luck!  I have feeling all of their Do-17 kits suffer from the same but you'll have to ask some of the others in who are using this brand.  

• Like 1