51st Sq. Atsugi AB, J.M.S.D.F., MV-22B Osprey, 1/72nd scale, Hasagawa...

John Masters

With two done, I'll dig back into this tonight.  The problem is that I have to back to Athens tomorrow morning for work and won't be returning until Friday night.  That give me tonight and then ten days after words to do all that needs to be done.  I shall persevere.  My goals about building another Japanese model are quashed, however.  This takes priority.  Thankfully the Canadian, F-5 and F-15 GB don't end until October...

• Like 2

Let's get the props together.  The instructions make it more difficult than it is...

52238288831_b1b4a4096e_z_d.jpg

Et voila!  Left and right...right and left...

52238288816_8c17f4fae2_z_d.jpg

Landing gear is ready...

52238574259_1f0e7ef4d5_z_d.jpg

With the windscreen masked and attached, a quick inventory shows that I am in better shape than I believed.  

52238574239_20b09b8a2f_o_d.jpg

I think tonight I will prime all the parts that need priming.  When I return from the Big Olive I can start in on painting and final assembly.  

--John

• Like 7

On 7/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, trickyrich said:

and try and keep out of the model shops!!! :D

As luck would have it, I received a text just yesterday that Fasma Models here in Athens finally received the Trumpeter Chinook kit I put on my wish list a year and a half ago.  I went to pick it up and resist the urge to buy anything else I though I needed...😁

I want to build the Chinook that the Greek Army has been using during the pandemic to shuttle people from remote areas of Greece (islands mostly) to the hospitals and clinics on the mainland.  It has been flying back and forth over my house since June 2020.  And sometimes landing on my island too.  It's actually kind of sad.  Some of the people don't return, so to speak. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, John Masters said:

Trumpeter Chinook kit

I hope your kit is better than the one I am part way through building.  You will notice the way the kit is packed in the box, which is actually quite good with the fuselage halves held in place at the ends of the tray with cardboard inserts.  Problem with mine is that I suspect the  kit was packed before it had cooled sufficiently resulting in warping of one fuselage half which no amount of bending in hot water will rectify. I got it together with a fair amount of brute force but there remained a horrible step on the underside and a few follow on fit issues to deal with.  If I hadn’t invested a lot of time detailing the interior with scratched seats etc it would have gone on the bin.  I’ll finish it, but the underside will be not for looking at!

Sorry for thread drift.

AW

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Sorry for thread drift.

No need to apologize.  I began the drift 😉...Thanks for the tips.  I'll look at the kit in more detail when I return home.  Crossed fingers mine was cooled enough before packing!  

Back from Athens and I jumped right in with primer.  As usual this revealed a few small areas that need some filling.  Not too dramatic.  I primed the props black since they will be black anyway.  AK white and black.  Nice stuff.

52249495798_19fd83c107_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Paint.  Hmmm...I am not sure about the upper darker grey.  The underside is very light but I'm not sure about the the topside for now.  I can always spray it again.

52250660493_7e918ccd78_c_d.jpg

The profile looks darker than the actual images I have seen on line...so I used these.

52250933604_8faf34b19d_c_d.jpg

I've painted the top.  Should it be darker?  I think maybe...Primer Grey maybe, like the F-18 Hornet...

52249674437_7fb722f625_c_d.jpg

What think you all?

--John

• Like 2

Looking at images of JMSDF Ospreys, I’d go a bit darker on the upper grey, with maybe a hint of blue in it.  The underside is a very pale grey.  The colour you have at the moment is perhaps midway between the two. HTH.

AW

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

I’d go a bit darker on the upper grey, with maybe a hint of blue in it.  The underside is a very pale grey.  The colour you have at the moment is perhaps midway between the two. HTH.

Thanks AW.  I'll do that.

Looking very much like a beached whale, the pale white underbelly of the V-22 kist and dries.  USAF Light Ghost Grey was barely visible over the white primer.  Tomorrow I'll go around with a hairy brush and hand paint the little bits that are black, silver, red, etc...

52251986039_4cd301c7fd_c_d.jpg

The engine nacelles show a more definitive tonal difference...

52251700586_1543b28eef_c_d.jpg

And, btw...how hall I paint the interior sections of the nacelles?  I'll be posing the rotors at a jaunty angle and the aircraft in flight so I want that to look right.  There are no instructions in the kit so I was thinking a very dark smoky wash to bring out the detail? 

What say you?

--John

• Like 3

Gee she looks really nice with some paint on John!

I was looking up the possible colours for her as well, looking at lots of picture, and to my eyes it looks very close to the USMC ones, FS.35237/36326320/36375 which is the standard colours for Navy/Marine aircraft. Interestingly the colours listed for yours FS.26440/36495. Though with all these greys it's very hard to tell the difference or which is which from photos   The JGSDF craft are something different again, the colour differences on those birds is very noticeable, plus I like the camo version too!

I found these picture that may or may not help with the inside colour around the nacelles, it doesn't appear to be white that's for sure.

JMSDF MV-22

https://www.defense.gov/Multimedia/Photos/igphoto/2001518297/

Anyway, looking forward to seeing her completed!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks @trickyrich.  I was thinking along the same lines for the different grey--basically USMC/USN low-viz tones.  Very modern for a modern aircraft.  Regarding the the inside of the nacelles...thanks.  Those images tell me I can do a little detailing on the moulded components and then a slight wash.  Perfect.  It'll make big difference.

• Like 1

Some decal work yesterday and a little painting too...sorry...didn't photograph that last bit.

I applied the decals to the nacelles...and also gave them a bit of a dark wash where it counts.  I've since given them a matte coating to protect the decals, et al...

52254175525_b31e8a8a60_c_d.jpg

The propellers have a multitude of decals, but first the painting of the silver edges...

52254175530_53d9387fe8_c_d.jpg

52254175540_1300ef16fb_c_d.jpg

52255109558_b43ecce06d_c_d.jpg

Sometime today I will give them a satin varnish since they seem to be a bit shiny in photos.  The painting I accomplished was all the little pointy bits on the aircraft--radar, radio, running lights, etc...I'll do some more decals tonight.  

--John

• Like 5

Let's get some decals on and start singing a lullaby for this one, shall we?

52258408328_614fe734d7_c_d.jpg

Nice decals.  Even the very small ones.  Thin.  I snipped the larger decals into sections for ease of application.

52257422767_fd94389952_c_d.jpg

The look of the Hinomaru makes me wonder why I don't have more Japanese subjects on the shelf.

52258675114_6e6ba22e41_c_d.jpg

The underside only called for two...

52257422747_ac18c35a1a_c_d.jpg

And all done!  That was satisfying.

52257422762_269aa0cf61_c_d.jpg

I'll let that dry thoroughly.  Tonight I'll give it some matte spray.  I'll attach the motors and rotors.  I'll attach the landing gear.  It'll be in the gallery by noon tomorrow folks...

--John

• Like 4

gosh she turned out super nice John, well done!!!!  :thumbsup:

I like this one a lot, awesome job.

Thanks for joining here and bringing an amazing model as well, was great to have you along as usual and I hope you enjoyed the build.