51st Sq. Atsugi AB, J.M.S.D.F., MV-22B Osprey, 1/72nd scale, Hasagawa...

John Masters

I rarely shell out the big bucks for a single kit but I had to for this one.  I had seen it built a while ago here on BM and thought, "This I must have..."  

I guess what it cost on the auction site was actually in scale with its actual construction and operating costs and all the hassle Bell-Boeing went through to get this thing off the ground (pun intended.)  Expensive to build, expensive to fly, and for some reason all but blackballed from the start.  Sounds like bad blood from Sikorsky...or inter-departmental bickering from the Pentagon...but I digress...

I mean, really...isn't this the coolest looking thing you've ever seen?  

52007532417_f10be06c21_z_d.jpg

Profile...

52009071945_bdb38d167b_z_d.jpg

Sprue...

52008557136_c7663bf707_z_d.jpg

52008802924_720663357d_z_d.jpg

Decals...

52009071895_c90fea1a7f_z_d.jpg

Extra goodies...

52007532357_cf3148ea12_z_d.jpg

Like a big, fat, grey shark.  

I'll start in on this when I can.  Probably after Orthodox Easter (April 23-25)--when I get back from the conference in Cyprus.

I am hoping this will actually build up rather quickly.  I have a fair stack of other Japanese items I would like to also build, plus, the Dornier GB begins next weekend...

--John

• Like 14

welcome along John and with a really nice choice, I was hoping to see one of these ij the build.

The old Osprey does seem to have picked up a bit of a reputation, but that aside it really is an impressive aircraft.

Looks to be a nice model from the sprue shots, and those AM retracted blades will help greatly to reduce the shelf acreage she will take up.

Good luck with the build, it'll be an interesting one to follow.

9 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Check the set, all mine where right handed!

Thanks I will.  I was thinking of having one set deployed, the other retracted, for appearances, so it might be alright.

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along John and with a really nice choice, I was hoping to see one of these ij the build.

The old Osprey does seem to have picked up a bit of a reputation, but that aside it really is an impressive aircraft.

Looks to be a nice model from the sprue shots, and those AM retracted blades will help greatly to reduce the shelf acreage she will take up.

Good luck with the build, it'll be an interesting one to follow.

Thanks Rich.  It's a unique aircraft for sure.

10 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Great choice John! Looking forward to this, especially with folded blades

Thanks!  Me too!  

• 3 weeks later...

And we're off...

Last night I jumped into this.  

52053934595_e529cdc67b_o_d.jpg

Not too difficult, actually, and the kit starts off with the big components.  What seems difficult are the instructions.  They just seem to be poorly organized on the page, so a thorough red through is necessary.  There are quite a few little instructions buried in the mix.  

Parts assembled and cleaned up.  I used a Medium Sea Grey rattle can spray (the instructions say FS36231, so pretty close) for the interior.  Only the cockpit area will be seen, so not much to paint.

52052401012_eb16d138fe_z_d.jpg

Painted and before the decals...

52053934550_1c021e404c_z_d.jpg

And after the IP decals.  Not too keen on this decal sheet.  Although detailed and in perfect register it suffers from the physics of 'SaTh', i.e. Small and Thick.  The larger decals will adhere nicely and perhaps even settle into some panel lines.  The smaller decals (IP, stencils, etc...) will not have the surface area necessary for adhesion and will have to be coated in varnish to allow them to stay put.  Just my hypothesis.  

52053934590_a851c8745a_z_d.jpg

The parts verily click into place!  Nicely engineered kit.  Mounting pins are small and there is no flash.  Just be careful removing the pieces from the sprue so you don't damage them.  Nice plastic too.  Crisp.

52053449336_6f39b42706_z_d.jpg

Wing and tail pieces went together without any issue.

52053449356_bbcfa8faae_z_d.jpg

And that is where I left it last night.  More to come later!  This is not a difficult kit by any stretch.  

Famous last words!

--John

• Like 10

Nice choice, Will it be box scheme or one of the Japanese 3tone schemes ?  

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10101657

This ⬆️ scheme always makes me think of WW2 corsairs and hellcats. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-02129-mv-22b-osprey-jgsdf--682170

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Will it be box scheme or one of the Japanese 3tone schemes ?  

I'm not sure if I can do build anything but the box scheme.  The registration has to match and I 'm not facile with Japanese!  😄

I like the grey on grey anyway.  Like a big fat shark.

Practically a snap fit...

52054811646_f6cf12c09c_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

Great to see this one underway John, I have been looking forward to this build.

Hmm  I don't know but all Hasegawa decals seem to be the same, they can be a right pain at times.

Nice to see though it fits together nicely, she looks big. I wonder what a 1/48th or 1/35th scale beast would be like.....I'd probably need a bigger shelf! :D

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice to see though it fits together nicely, she looks big. I wonder what a 1/48th or 1/35th scale beast would be like.....I'd probably need a bigger shelf! :D

..and lots of aftermarket ;)

• Haha 1

I've had hit and miss results w/ Hasegawa decals.  Not typically an adhesion issue, but sometimes they take a lot of persuasion to nestle down into the panel lines (particularly w/ the Egg Planes), kinda like Tamiya decals.  Sometimes they go down w/ minimal issues...surprisingly the Diana twins worked really well.  A little extra work w/ some softener was required on the tail decals, but that was to be expected with the large surface area.

Dear John

When I opened my box of Black Dog folded rotors I found out all the blades were the same. In reality the rotors are handed, left and right handed and they rotate in opposite directions. I got no joy with a corrected ste from Black Dog. Hope yours are correct.

regards Toby

• Sad 2

Now that I'm home I make some headway on this one this weekend.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

When I opened my box of Black Dog folded rotors I found out all the blades were the same. In reality the rotors are handed, left and right handed and they rotate in opposite directions. I got no joy with a corrected ste from Black Dog. Hope yours are correct.

This is not the first time I've heard this.  I make scarp the resin.  Thanks Tony.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to progress on this one John.  Incidentally, while I was up in Darwin on holidays last month I got to see a couple of USMC Ospreys taking off while visiting the Darwin Aviation  Museum which borders the airport/RAAF base.  Weird doesn't begin to describe them!  They certainty get moving quickly once fully converted to horizontal flight though. 

AW

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, Andwil said:

Looking forward to progress on this one John.  Incidentally, while I was up in Darwin on holidays last month I got to see a couple of USMC Ospreys taking off while visiting the Darwin Aviation  Museum which borders the airport/RAAF base.  Weird doesn't begin to describe them!  They certainty get moving quickly once fully converted to horizontal flight though. 

Thanks AW.  I was able to move along a bit on this one.  The hardest part so far has been deciphering the plans.  It's like someone just dumped a big pile of instructions on the paper and swirled them around.  I'm building this one piecemeal and going it all comes together.

Motors, with some construction that allows the to be articulated...

52194703038_403e5cc8c8_c_d.jpg

52194947544_6607ea04bf_c_d.jpg

52195175495_cf4dfe0a0c_c_d.jpg

Getting the landing gear ready...

52193678042_a448d690a6_c_d.jpg

Lots of little things that stick out. Once their on I have to be careful how and where I set it down.  Nice detail thought and the fit is excellent.  I'll go around with some PPP before I prime it.

52194703023_098ff4bff0_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6