Auster Autocar goes to the Antipodes

Another light aircraft build for me to run in parallel with my ongoing Percival Vega Gull (active, not neglected!)

A little Auster which was flown solo on an epic two month journey from the UK to Australia, in the wake of the 1969 BP Air Race.  The race marked the 50th anniversary of the first Australians to make that long distance flight in under 30 days, in a Vickers Vimy in 1919.  The Auster was not a competitor, but carried a load of commemorative mail generating funds for the RAF Museum & to cover trip costs.  Importantly for me, it sported a faux race number 50 - which makes it a fine subject to build for display at our club’s 50th anniversary show at the end of this year.

Postage_1

Postage_2

This machine was a civil build 1955 4x seat J5P Autocar, but the nearest available kit at my preferred scale is the 1/48 Sword 1940’s military build 2x seat Auster MkIII.

52007303782_ff522a0220_z.jpg

So there is conversion work to be done!  In short: the wings can be used as is, but the fuselage will be substantially revised.

Work is underway in earnest, will post first WIP progress soon ..

Edited by greggles.w
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Cyberduck said:

What scale was the Lincoln/Kader kit from the days of black & white TV?

.. according to Scalemates it’s 1:41, which seems a bit odd, & this box art is more caricature than likeness ..

52009654960_eff5c9837a_z.jpg

.. however I’m sure others will have a made a good go of it.

My kit was a chance good-price find bundled in with another purchase .. from Japan.

17 hours ago, ianwau said:

Following!  Love a good civil Auster!

Thanks Ian, here's a little on the history for you & others interested, while I wait for chemicals to cure ...

Here's the machine in the UK, at Kidlington 1966 registered G-AOHF (prior to that D-EFOR & EI-AJH) a few years before the big trip.  You can just make out the optional glider-towing kit co-fixed with the tailwheel:

History_1 - Auster_J-5P_Autocar_G-AOHF_Kidlington_10.66

Here it is mid-adventure, with the faux race-number 50, being refuelled toward the end of the epic flight, 1969.  Speaking of fuel - note the addition of the Auster long-range conformal belly tank:

History_2 - VH-EDF 0011

Here it is at its new home in Tamworth Australia, the following year, looking no worse-for-wear despite the long journey!

History_3 - G-AOHF Auster J5P Tamworth NSW 25-9-70 N K Daw

Here another year later sporting new Australian registration VH-EDF:

History_4 - VH-EDF 0005

And finally, here it is at present, owned & under restoration by Bruce Ramsay, shown reunited here with 80+yr old owner-pilot on that big trip back in '69, Richard Rudd:

History_5 - VH-EDF 0007

Edited by greggles.w
  • Like 11

OK, so this time a 'work in progress' post which will actually post some evidence of work in progress!

The Auster family is extensive &, frankly, a little incestuous, with many variants evolving & cross-pollinating design features in differing configurations.  Autocrat, Autocar, Aiglet, & Alpine, Arrow, Atom & Alpha .. Ad infinitum!  I like the honesty from this expert researcher: a "possible" family tree! (noting even this seems limited to post-war non-military variants)

Family Tree

.. ours is a J5P, a fair way down the breeding trail from the MkIII of the kit.  From what I can best determine, the bulk of the change is in the fuselage, which increased capacity over time from two to three & then four occupants by this model.  Interestingly, it seems this evolution was built upon the essentially the same tubular steel frame ...

Fuselage_1

... around which a timber secondary-frame was added to bulk up the volume, like so:

Fuselage_2

... as seen here down the inside: metal frame (= Sword MkIII Auster kit fuselage cross-section) + timber sub-frame (= scratchbuild Autocar fuselage cross-section):

Fuselage_3

So I started with joining the kit supplied rear bulkhead, floor & fuselage halves (curiously two toned, free-floating in the bag .. scavenged from two production runs?) & just like the real thing I'm starting to build around this a frame for the larger shape ..

Fuselage_4

Concentrating on the portion behind the cockpit cabin first.  The widened fuselage of the Autocar 4x seat cabin was tapered off just forward of the tailplanes, avoiding need for these to be redesigned.  Therefore I decided I next needed the tailplanes in place .. but robustly so, given the handling ahead, hence I elected to embed a brass rod ...

Fuselage_5

Fuselage_6

Next the vertical tail & rudder.  These were a larger redesigned unit shared with the Aiglet & a few other models.  Top drawing here is MKIII, bottom is the Autocar (not precisely scale-matched, more to show differing profile) ...

Fuselage_7

Interestingly the thing consists of a narrow tubular perimeter frame, light gauge channels within & a fabric skin.  Nil aerofoil profile in plan.  It scales out at 0.5mm thick!

Fuselage_9

Here's the fixed 0.5mm sheet tail with a brass leading edge to hold the shape & again in the hope it makes it forgiving of mis-handling as construction continues ...

Fuselage_8

And so that is where I'm up to ...

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh wow that's beautiful!

I was interested to see how you were going to tackle the 'wide body' of the Autocar and this looks perfect.  Well done indeed!

Thanks Anthony, it must be said the rear portion is one level of challenge - it's the glazed cabin ahead that will be the true test!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:05 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I was interested to see how you were going to tackle the 'wide body' of the Autocar

... & was interested by how Auster tackled it!  Quite resourceful, layering timber over the base steel tube frame (sorry to muddy the waters a bit Anthony, not exclusively 'the steel aeroplane' as per your icon! ... does that icon suggest an interest? an Auster pilot or owner yourself?).

Here's another Australian resident machine - VH-PSM a J5G (same-same as my J5P, just different engine .. I believe!) - under restoration, beautifully showing the timber turtle-deck over refreshed & refinished metalwork:

Fuselage_10

.. and this structure remains discernible through the taut fabric skin, as shown with this lovely Netherlands-registered machine ... 

Fuselage_12

Fuselage_11

SO, time to bash together a cardboard jig & fix some paper guidelines ...

Fuselage_13

.. to allow for me to place these ...

Fuselage_14

.. slow work, one each side of spine ... wait to cure ... another each side of spine a few hours later ..

• Like 13

I'm watching with interest- I knew Richard Rudd. He was a tug pilot at my local gliding club and I did a small amount of work on the restoration of his J.5F Aiglet Trainer VH-BYX.

I had no idea about his earlier history with Austers though.

• Like 1

This looks like an interesting build, plenty of history behind it. I remember but only vagally building the Kader kit as a teenager. I'm quite interested to se the Sword kit. I may look at it for a late AOP version Army Air Corp ship.

Colin

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, greggles.w said:

does that icon suggest an interest? an Auster pilot or owner yourself?).

Great update and I love your way of approaching the conversion!  Really well done and thought out.

Yes I am rebuilding Auster T.7 WE552 back to flight.  I am about ready to cover the fuselage except I am waiting on an aircraft interior expert to do the little there is to do in a military Auster.  She's a full stock military rebuild with all original equipment and valve radio gear (non functioning).  I have a facebook page I done update very often, just type in AusterWE552

Cheers Anthony

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, Zephyr said:

I'm watching with interest- I knew Richard Rudd. He was a tug pilot at my local gliding club and I did a small amount of work on the restoration of his J.5F Aiglet Trainer VH-BYX.

I had no idea about his earlier history with Austers though.

Thanks Zephyr, & how great to have a real life connection to the adventurer himself!  This Auster came with the optional factory glider towing kit .. I wonder if it was put to use at your club?

On 4/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, heloman1 said:

I'm quite interested to se the Sword kit. I may look at it for a late AOP version Army Air Corp ship.

Hi Colin, it’s a pretty cheap & cheerful kit. The most challenging bit is the fact that the intersection of fuselage & wings is a meeting at a vacformed glazed canopy .. not sure how easy that would be .. but helpfully the kit includes a spare of that critical part.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:16 PM, Malc2 said:

Good stuff, another interesting addition to the racing fleet!

M.

Thanks Malc, nice to have your company again!

On 4/23/2022 at 9:26 PM, ianwau said:

great reference material shared!!

I’ve been greatly helped by the enthusiasts in a ‘down under’ Auster FB group, who’ve shared photos, drawings, articles.  Seems they’ve generously shared with me, so I ought to do the same!

On 4/24/2022 at 5:59 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I have a facebook page I done update very often, just type in AusterWE552

I have! I liked & am following!  Good to see it looks a promising, orderly & fine restoration .. not some stalled barn burial.  Well done!

On 4/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, Ed Russell said:

I like the just-like-a-real-one approach. Following with interest!

Thanks Ed, we shall see if it pays off ..!!

So, to progress:

Styrene ‘stringers’ have been laid over the top & both sides, starting to bulk out the form, discernibly so if I let my eyes go a little out of focus ..

52034042395_ed8ed32f16_b.jpg

From here several need to be feathered onward back past that last exo-bulkhead. Then all to be capped with a brass ‘ridge-capping’ of sorts ..

52034042425_9044f00144_b.jpg

I’ve started fixing these onto the short intermediate ones immediately behind the rear cabin bulkhead .. each given a turn-down end detail as with the rounded ends of the real timber stringer ends..

52033521826_c51654fdd3_b.jpg

My thinking is that the brass should: hold a stiffer straight edge; be sturdy to tool against when filling the voids (with? epoxy?) & again when sanding; and give a colour contrast to shout out when enough sanding has been done!

52034042420_797d20d965_b.jpg

That’s my limit for concentration this evening .. it’s quite the whalebone & brass corset!

Edited by greggles.w
Manual correct of autocorrect (sigh!)
  • Like 8

Love this thread. Good subject and great story. And original - can't see many kit makers rushing to produce it in kit form anytime soon. Great work!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Greg! A long time ago I went through an "Auster phase" and scratch-built a 5-foot span Auster III for R/C... everything was much easier at that size! This should come up nicely, and it's a great story to celebrate!

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:25 AM, Fastcat said:

Love this thread. Good subject and great story. And original - can't see many kit makers rushing to produce it in kit form anytime soon. Great work!

Dave

Thanks Dave, & nice to have your company again!

On 4/28/2022 at 8:26 AM, Derek_B said:

Lovely work Greg! A long time ago I went through an "Auster phase" and scratch-built a 5-foot span Auster III for R/C...

Serious effort that Derek, still airworthy?  Would be happy to see pictures here is you had them to hand ..

No build update right now, but I did want to share this video.  As posted on F'Book by Latrobe Valley Airframes and Welding Pty Ltd, who are currently restoring VH-PSM - the one which I posted still image of above showing the timber turtledeck framing.  This video shows further progress, professionally executed, but also demonstrates the diminutive fine-gauge metal frame!

• Like 3

Thanks Dave, & nice to have your company again!

Hi Greggles,

Truth is - I never really left! Just been lurking for a while without posting. Haven't built anything for a while since moving but now I've worked out how easy it is, I've recently posted a few old builds over on the car section RFI, a Morgan 3 Wheeler, 300 SLR and a Ducati.

Like the Auster because it's such an unassuming little aircraft. And the first aircraft I ever had a joyride in.

Dave

1 hour ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Greggles,

Truth is - I never really left! Just been lurking for a while without posting.

Sometimes that’s all we can manage! I will rummage around and take a look at your builds. You’re quite right re this Auster, quite unassuming .. yet fascinating!  Would have made for a great introduction to the big sky for you!

Thought I’d share my little process for preparing these brass stringers.

First, a line on tape, then tape is laid sticky-side up over ruler. I cut near-enough lengths of wire, then line them up at the various requisite lengths, all measured from line to right, with excess to left…

Fuselage_19

… with those held parallel by the tape I transfer to this PE folding tool (prior to now, as yet never used!) and that line on the tape is aligned with the folding edge …

Fuselage_20

… then bulk fold them all the same guesstimate amount …

Fuselage_21

… & finally snip them off at consistent length just past the fold using massively oversized cutters …

Fuselage_22

… the resulting parts kept orderly & at readiness on the tape!

Here are some of those longer ones going in place … I've been typing this intermittently as a way to get myself to leave them alone while the glue dries ...

Fuselage_23

• Like 7

This is great work. Forgive me if I have misinterpreted, but from the photos I thought you were going to skin over the frame, but read the reference to filling the void. (Can't do quotes yet).

If you are filling the void, so the brass will be top surface in places, be slightly aware that it could give you a big tonal variation in the paint coat if sprayed, even over good primer.

I tnink it is to do with the metal holding a different temperature to the surrounding plastic. 

I am now even more embarassed by the thumb twins efforts at the cockpit framing on the ASK. Looked ok from a mile away then I photographed it. No way thats getting posted!

Matt

6 minutes ago, Farmer matt said:

If you are filling the void, so the brass will be top surface in places, be slightly aware that it could give you a big tonal variation in the paint coat if sprayed, even over good primer.

I tnink it is to do with the metal holding a different temperature to the surrounding plastic. 

.. fascinating, & helpful, thank you!  You are correct; the brass has been selected precisely to be visible (just) as a guide of sorts to signal I have reached the required form when filling & sanding. At least that’s the idea - this all a first for me, all a bit speculative!  But now with your warning I think I shall allow myself a few extra generous coats of primer ..

11 minutes ago, Farmer matt said:

Looked ok from a mile away then I photographed it. No way thats getting posted!

.. oh that merely means pull back and re-photograph!  😉

• Like 2