BYMS 2168, Churchill's Pirates.

Well been a bit busy with repairs to conservatory new roof and prep work ready for when the daughter returns from London in the summer she has a new job back up in the North East SEN teacher.

Plus my farther has been in hospital for three weeks and cannot see him because of Covid on the ward three days after he went in with a water infection so looking after my Mother..

An elderly gent came into the model club the other week and asked who built model ships to which about 8 fingers pointed at me he then asked if I could build a kit for him as he has Parkinson's and would not be able to build it correctly after about an hour's chat I agreed to build it for him.

The gent gave me quite a bit of information on his farther full RN service record and some photos of the ship and crew they were tied in with a group of Ghurkha's special operations he told me and he gave me permission to post on BM while I do the build.

The photos show her with the US pennant numbers and colour's so not sure if she would have been repainted he gave me the number of BY2168 so I think she was but not sure If she just wore the G45 light grey scheme the photos I am told are of the ship just outside of Malta Harbour the crew were transported there to and from England to Malta for hand over on HMS Sussex

The gent's farther is in the centre of last photo with the Ghurkhas Gun layer was the description the old fella gave me.

I think this will be an interesting build and I have to finish as soon as I can lucky it is so small looks more like a 700 scale kit.  

I have some links for further information cheers @robgizlu

http://www.wildfire3.com/byms-home-page.html

http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/19idx.htm

IMG-8209.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

What a lovely looking little ship. I do like these little known types.

Hope your dad improves soon, hospitals are not good places to be at present.

Jon

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that beefy, hopefully he'll be out soon. And congratulations for your daughter, my mum worked as a SEN teacher for almost her entire career and found it immensely rewarding.

I'll follow along if that's alright, imagine you'll be finished quite quickly though. Had to double check the scale she's so small compared to what I'm used to seeing! But a very nice backstory to the build, I already know you'll have one very happy 'customer'.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, you have been busy beefy.  Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. 

An interesting story about the minesweepers.  Really adds a special human element  to these little ships.

John

• Thanks 1

Hi Beefy 

Hope that Dad is on the mend.  

Good start - it looks a very neat little kit and I really like the tone of my wood deck which is a bit grungy (yours seems similar)

As to scheme - I'll suggest B20 for lower hull shade and 507c/G45 for superstructure - there is definitely a second upper hull colour which is unusual as these BYMS's go.  G20 would seem an option depending on the year and I don't suppose B30 is out of the question - assuming these were RN colours not US?

What a neat commission :clap2:

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gent's thanks for the well wishes can now go and visit no real change with his confusion yet.

While searching out more info on this little gem found a good photo of what looks like a similar scheme with the Ensign hoisted and RN pennant numbers on the bow

I think the top structure colour looks more white or very faded 507C and the lower hull possibly 507A looks to dark for B20.  🤔

What do you lot recon on this then.

Stay Safe

beefyspacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a weekend away to Scotland and the SCOTNATS in Perth I had a very good chat with @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and he confirmed what I thought about the little sweepers colours 507A hull and 507C/G45 for the upper works thanks Jamie.

Although your sidekick wife has a very persuasive hard sell technique she will not let you leave the stand without buying stuff you really did not need well not yet anyway.  :poke:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway back to this little build need to get my finger out get it back to the gentleman ASAP

A lot of small parts painted and starting to fit out will have to have a look around for one of these for myself

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe and avoid the Pox  🐒

beefy

• Like 11

On 5/25/2022 at 10:19 PM, dnl42 said:

Ooh, nice! :popcorn:

This is a nice kit, I built it to represent my father's ship.

Very nice it is to and some very good reference photos for me to look through Thank You

On 5/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, steve5 said:

quite a haul beefy , that boat is smaller than my hand , 😵 , I'd be terrified touching it , with my 10 thumbs .

BTW is your dad getting better ?

That was not half of what I bought I had 2 years of saving money burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks Steve for asking about Dad he is now in a care home for further assessment they think he has Lewy's body Dementia  :shrug:

Books for reference

spacer.png

And something's a bit more modern

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

That's one big Kitty

Yes bought as a second hand kit but a bit of a surprise when I opened up the box to check it 2 Eduard big etch sets to go with it happy day's love a bargain.

something to look forward to when I retire in 10 months time not that I am counting mind.  :whistle:

spacer.png

Stay safe

beefy

• Like 8

Well small update managed some more deck fittings and the flooring extensions for the 20mm Oerlikon's

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

On 5/31/2022 at 7:16 AM, steve5 said:

I still get sore eyes , just looking at it . 😄

You and me both Steve.  :hypnotised:

With that in mind I have started on the base and have a dust cover for it when completed usual base of scrap board and thin pine strip for the sides and king span foam recycled from a neighbours skip

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cover is a bit taller than I wanted but all the others where to low

And back to the shows now 2 in 2 weeks Perth and Tyneside my local one so some photos of our club display

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

quite a diverse mix on the 12 x 6 foot tables we covered

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7

Small up date getting close to the finish line now base has had a coat of paint over the textured water which when dry will get another coat of clear water and then to add the cotton wool bow waves

And the Name it nameplates have arrived for my current builds great service again from this company.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 9