"Spotty Jag" - Italeri 1/72 Jaguar GR.3

spacer.png

Here's my attempt at the 1/72 special livery Italeri "Big Cat" kit. Also used for some photographic practise, hence the variety of shot styles (sadly a memory card failed, so I've lost a chunk of the 'plain' model shots, and haven't the patience to go back and redo them all!). Mostly built OOB but an aftermarket seat, Eduard etch airbrakes/brake pipes/nose probes/nosegear door, and the ladder is from Flightpath. I scratchbuilt the removable intake FOD covers and the fuselage beacon, and also modified the main gear quite a bit to better represent the complicated cylinder arrangement. I also cut and re-set the flaps/ailerons/slats to try to better represent the usual 'droop' when the aircraft systems are shut down.

Hataka acrylic grey paint, then those rather tricky decals over half the airframe. Loads of setting solution required! Italeri Jag kits don't have the best rep but I'm fairly pleased with this one. Thanks for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a quick look at the evolution of the main undercarriage legs, in case anyone's interested: I've been frustrated that no kits (or 1/72 aftermarket parts) seem to have the correct look for the really complex multiple cylinders and rods on the real thing. The first view is the kit leg with the Eduard etch brake lines attached, at which point I decided to try improving a bit...the incorrect thin cylinder/pipe was removed, then various bits of plastic tube, filler and copper wire were added before painting and oil weathering (plus a couple of tiny bits of decal for the placards). Hard to make out much detail at that scale (each leg is only about 1" or less).

spacer.png

Edited by The Shearwater
extra info
  • Like 72
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Brilliant, great model, great paint job, great dio, great photos!! By now l guess you realise l think that’s a great job!

Couldn't have put it better myself! :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Brilliant, great model, great paint job, great dio, great photos!! By now l guess you realise l think that’s a great job!

Thank you, I do realise and it’s very kind of you!

1 hour ago, echen said:

Couldn't have put it better myself! :goodjob:

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Stunning model and excellent photography!

Thank you, the one is good practise for the other (plus I can hide the faults with low lighting! 🤣)

33 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Terrific job on the model. Outstanding pics.

Thanks!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Just 👏 👏 🙌 bravo

Encore ? What next?  :D

Cant decide if the modeller beats the photographer or vice versa. Very smart either way, very smart. 

Thank you so much! Next might well be Phantom / Eurofighter / Jag T2 / early Harrier shaped, definitely in 1/72, and probably photographed in a similar fashion!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

That's a tricky kit with those decals and you have done a great job  but am afraid that photography is just stunning

Just needs a bit of jet noise in the back ground !!  👏

Noise... and also the smell of kerosene! Not sure if my wife would be quite so patient if I started added those though...

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Magnificent! What a fabulous build and diorama 👍👍

Thank you kindly 👍. That Noy’s Miniatures hangar is a great backdrop.

7 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Superb Jaguar and great photos! Excellent work

That’s very kind, thanks 👍

18 hours ago, JamesP said:

Blimey Charlie. The excellent photography really shows this model to it full potential.

Thank you very much! Two hobbies for the price of one 👍 (well the price of two, but don’t tell the wife...)

Edited by The Shearwater