Cessna A-37B Dragonfly 8th SOS Academy 1/72eme

Hello Fellow Modelers!

Here is my last build for my Vietnam Air War saga: the A-37B Dragonfly. Obviously I chose the very nice Academy kit, which is OK from a proportion and dimensions perspective. I was surprised as it not an easy build, as this bird is quite small at that scale. I put some aftermarket PE and to add a final touch, I opened the gun bay. 

Conversely to Hasegawa, a good choice of ordnance is provided, thanks Academy! 

Camouflage and markings reflects a Dragonfly based at Bien Hoa, with a typical SEA pattern with some weathering. Internet gave me a nice B&W photo of a/c #335 with a red nose, but unfortunately I was unable to find any depiction of the squadron patch painted on the right side. This is my only omission on this kit, from a marking PoV.

Here are the Pix: 

The real Dragonfly:

spacer.png

Mine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the little Dio: the idea comes from this blurry photo of the Bien Hoa ramp:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As a conclusion, not an easy kit because of its size, but it can be built OOB and the result will be convincing. Hope you will enjoy mine! 

• Like 33

12 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nicely done. There's one in a museum in Saigon, but it's outside so not in very good condition.

Ian

Hello  Ian! thank you for your answer, I went to the Saigon/HoChiMin museum as well, all aircraft are in appalling conditions, with fake colors and markings but one can understand that they didn't want to put some money to restore them...sad...

• Like 1