1:32nd scale RAF BE2c

Hi all,
My build of the Fokker D.VI is nearing completion.
Therefore I thought I'd have a crack at one of the 'Lukgraph' model in my stash.
I'm going to have a crack at the resin and 3D printed 1:32nd scale RAF BE2c model.

The subject aircraft has been changed - see the current aircraft further down in this thread.

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger
aircraft changed
  • Like 3

Hi all,
First up will be the engine.
As you can see the complete engine is 3D printed, with probably only ignition leads to add.
So in theory just separating the five parts from their supports, removing any residual support tags and sanding away any obvious layer striations.
We'll see ;)

Mike

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi all,
The engine is completed as far as possible.
I've added the ignition leads and support rails, even though in reality the leads passed through the internal engine firewall.
As expected, painting a complete 3D printed engine wasn't that easy.
Sanding any print layer striations is not really possible on such detail.
I've not fitted the exhaust manifolds yet as I want to align them correctly to the exhaust stack pipes and fuselage later in the build,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Hi all,
Preparation of the fuselage and basic cockpit.
The fuselage halves were sand to remove resin artifacts from the mating edges.
Plastic 0.8 mm thick strips were secured to one fuselage half to aid with fuselage alignment during assembly (no locating pegs or holes).
The 3D printed cockpit side frames and bulkheads were assembled, including sanding the top curved edges so fir the contour of the fuselage when joined.
The actual aircraft had 'windows' in the fuselage to allow daylight to illuminate the instrument panels.
The two instrument panels were secured to the cockpit frames to align with the windows.
These are moulded as solid, to be painted silver and covered with acetate sheet.
Instead, I've cut out the three windows to match the supplied photo-etch window frames, which will have just the acetate sheet inserts,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi all,
After checking how the pilots seat was fitted in the BE2c, I believe the kit supplied photo-etch seat cradle is based on the 'Vintage Aviator' reproduction aircraft.
However the actual Wicker seat seems to have been mounted on a plinth which was attached to the cockpit side frame and cross member and braced by wires at its front corners.
There I've represented this using 0.5 mm thick plastic card and 0.8 mm diameter plastic rod.
The following photographs shown the modification as well as the dry fitting of the assembly with the 'Barracuda' resin pilot and observer seats.
Note that in general, the observers seat had a higher back rest than that of the pilot.

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi all,
I've been given further reference information on the pilots seat fit.
It seems the later BE2c operational aircraft, fitted with the RAF 1a engine etc, had an armoured seat cradle.
Earlier BE2c aircraft, fitted with the Renault engine etc, had the earlier Wicker seats fitted.

As the 'LukGraph' model has the later RAF 1a engine etc, the armoured seat would be correct.
Given this information, I can now either modify my 'modification' or remove it and fit the cradle,

Mike

Hi all,
The cockpit assembly is finished.
Note that I changed the scratch built pilot seat support frame as the kit armoured seat 'cradle' is correct for this version of the BE2c.

Built OOB apart from:

The kit supplied 3D printed seats replaced with BarracudaCast’ British wicker AGS seats (BR32234).
Instrument decals replaced with ‘Airscale’ Generic WW1 instruments (AS32 WW1).
Added a observers half firewall as protection from the engine.
Ckpit bracing is 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and blackened 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tubes.
Kit photo-etch seat belts/straps replaced with ‘HGW’ seat belts for the RE8 (HGW132027).

The forward engine support frames and fuel tank are still to be fitted,

Mike

PS: I forgot to add a fuel contents indicator tube onto the pilots instrument panel.
Added now using 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube, partially dipped in 'Tamiya' Clear Yellow (X24).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 9

Hi all,
Change of plan.
I've decided to model a different BE2c squadron aircraft.

No.13 Squadron:
No.13 Squadron RFC was formed on the 10th of January 1915, equipped with twelve newly built RAF BE2c aircraft and was dispatched as a Corps reconnaissance unit to France in October 1915.
The squadron served at Savy in France during 1916. Later the Squadron was also equipped with RAF BE2d and BE2e versions.
The role of reconnaissance was maintained until the armistice. In April 1917 the squadron was re-equipped with the R.E.8. 

BE2c Serial No.2635
RAF BE2c, Serial No:2635 was built by Ruston-Proctor and was delivered to the newly formed squadron as factory fresh.
The aircraft were finished overall in Clear Doped Linen (CDL) with white wheel covers and battle ship grey painted nose panels and cowls.
The wheel covers were painted as roundels, which was at the pilots preference.
On the 23rd of April 1916, a squadron making was allocated , which consisted of a narrow black horizontal stripe, which was applied to the sides of the fuselage and spanned between the front of the pilots cockpit and the leading edge of the tail plane.
This marking was retained when the aircraft were replaced with the R.E.8.
This particular aircraft has a Type C camera mounting rack on the fuselage starboard side.
The aircraft was also fitted with racks for carrying 112lb ‘Cooper’ bombs.
A Lewis machine gun was fitted for the observers and a second for the pilot. Ammunition drums were carried in racks mounted on the sides of the fuselage.
It’s unclear whether BE2c Serial No.2635 was lost in action or retired and struck off charge. 

Mike

spacer.png

Hi all,
The fuselage is now closed up.
The join between the two halves (CA adhesive) needed some filling and sanding.
I airbrushed grey primer over the fuselage which shows up any joint or seam gaps etc.
Then re-filled and re-primed and sanded until a smooth joint was achieved.

After test fitting, I'll be leaving the engine out until towards the end of the build as it makes it easier for painting and applying decals etc. 

Mike

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi all,
One area of the fuselage may need to be addressed.
The underside of the nose is too square in shape and should be more rounded.
This can be seen on the following photographs, the last of which is the reproduction BE2c at the 'Vintage Aviator Ltd'.

The kit nose looks more like that of the R.E.8.

Whether this can be rectified remains to be seen,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

NOSE OF AN R.E.8

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sandbagger said:

Hi all,
One area of the fuselage may need to be addressed.
The underside of the nose is too square in shape and should be more rounded.

Very disappointing considering the cost of this kit...I may not spend my hard earned on this after all. 

Mike

I would imagine the issue with the shape of the area under the engine could be resolved with an aftermarket single piece resin part or similar approach. Not required in an ideal world but fixable I would have thought

All of your reference photo’s have slightly different lower cowlings. Is it possible the one Lukgraph used for a reference had the square cowl? Different suppliers possibly?, and as usual, never trust a restored one or a replica. A period photo of the one you are building is the only way to know for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

I would imagine the issue with the shape of the area under the engine could be resolved with an aftermarket single piece resin part or similar approach. Not required in an ideal world but fixable I would have thought

Hi John,

This aircraft model in this scale has not been produced before.

As such there is no aftermarket available for it,

Mike

3 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

All of your reference photo’s have slightly different lower cowlings. Is it possible the one Lukgraph used for a reference had the square cowl? Different suppliers possibly?, and as usual, never trust a restored one or a replica. A period photo of the one you are building is the only way to know for sure. 

Some photographs of original aircraft. 

noses1.jpg

noses2.jpg

The model will be a No.13 Squadron BE2c.

This is the No.13 Squadron line-up prior to flying to France, 12th of October 1915.

spacer.png

Edited by Sandbagger

1 hour ago, Sandbagger said:

Hi John,

This aircraft model in this scale has not been produced before.

As such there is no aftermarket available for it,

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes I know its not been kitted before in this scale.  I have been hoping for one for about ten years now.  The nose profile on the model does look more like that of the RE8  Its disappointing that the model's "chin" isn't right but what I was thinking was it looks like a fairly easy job for one of the AM companies to make a new "chin" in resin and a cut line just at that large diagonal seam would be a good place to make a joint I would think.  Lets hope someone reads this and does the necessary !

48 minutes ago, Sandbagger said:

Hi all,

With careful sanding (to avoid breaking through the corners) the kit nose can be re-profiled,

Mike

Well done that Man !  Give him a 48 hour pass.

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Hi Mike

Yes I know its not been kitted before in this scale.  I have been hoping for one for about ten years now.  The nose profile on the model does look more like that of the RE8  Its disappointing that the model's "chin" isn't right but what I was thinking was it looks like a fairly easy job for one of the AM companies to make a new "chin" in resin and a cut line just at that large diagonal seam would be a good place to make a joint I would think.  Lets hope someone reads this and does the necessary !

Hi John,

You make a valid point.

This is the only model in this scale and it's a resin model.

I suspect the uptake of the kit by modelers would not be as high as say a 'Wingnut Wings' would have been, as its resin and fewer would take on a resin kit.

Also the cost of the kit could prove prohibitive for some.

Based on that I don't think after markets will jump on correcting this one area of the model.

Besides, if you're careful in sanding the nose, it's a relatively easy fix,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all,
More corrections required.

The kit instructions indicate that the left and right tailplane's should be attached to the rear sides of the fuselage, using two rods.
The illustration shows the inboard ends of the tailplane's being 90 degrees to their leading edges and noticeably clear of the fuselage sides along their entire length.
However, it seems that in reality, the inboard ends of the tailplane's were angled to follow the sides of the fuselage and the only noticeable gap was at the rear, where the fuselage tapered to its end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, the plywood rear decking is tapered to align with the linen covering over the fuselage stringers.
I think 'Lukgraph' assumed that as wood, it wasn't profiled, but fitted horizontal.
Unfortunately it can't, like the nose profile, be sanded, as the fuselage skin is too thin and would be open up.
A more obvious, but not as easily rectified, error on the kit.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all,
Tailplane's:
I cut the inboard ends of both tailplane's to match the fuselage sides.
This only needed a small amount of trimming so doesn't alter the span of the tailplane's much.
The fuselage was drilled through with 0.8 mm diameter holes at the tailplane location points.
Two lengths of 0.8 mm diameter Brass rod were secured through the fuselage using thin CA adhesive.
Both tailplanes were drilled with 0.8 mm diameter holes to match the added rods.
The tailplane's were test fitted to ensure they were horizontal to the fuselage and at 90 degrees to the fuselage centre line.

Now the fuselage (possibly),

Mike

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi all,
I'm moving my hosting server for the forum build logs photographs to another server.
In the meantime, all of the build log photographs in the forum will not show.
I'll post once I get them back online with the new server.

My web site (link in signature) is OK,

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger