NAMC YS-11 1/144

zebra

I'm going to start with the NAMC in 1/144 using the Hasegawa kit:

Hasegawa YS-11

Nice looking kit, not a lot of parts, should go together pretty quickly. A nice touch is that the kit includes ballast for the nose. I bought the kit from a seller on Facebook and was surprised to find two aftermarket decal sheets in the box so I've got a choice of kit decals for the first production aircraft or Avigraphics decals for either Mid Pacific Air or American Eagle. I think it's going to be American Eagle.

looking forward to getting started tomorrow

Julian

• Like 10

Hi Julian,

Every time I see one of these I can't help being reminded of the HS 748 that BKS operated out of Yeadon aka Leeds/Bradford Airport when I was a lad - the similarity is of course superficial, no doubt due to the fact that they used the same engines AFAIK and were designed for the same sort of job - DC3 replacement on short to mediun haul trips.

Should be a nice model and as it's Hasegawa it should be a reasonable build.

Pete

• Thanks 1

welcome along Julian which an interesting build.

I've never seen one of these (to tell the truth even heard of one), but as Pete says it does look a bit like a 748 in a way.

It looks like you scored with those extra decals, should be a very smart looking model when completed.

Good luck with the build.

• Thanks 1

It is very reminiscent of the 748 isn't it? I can't help thinking the 748 is a more attractive aeroplane though. The nose and tail of the YS-11 look a bit bulbous to me.

Made a start today. Fuselage, wings and nacelles have gone together quite nicely. This might not take long!

YS-11 WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

Nice choice Julian,  I thought this subject matter would be right down your alley. 🏆

I a nice simple build to boot. I have a 1/72 3D printed version of a JASDF EW variant I considered for this GB. Might still have a go at it if I get my first build done and have the inclination to do a second model. 

:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

she goes together quickly.

She certainly does - here she is, ready for primer:

YS-11 WIP

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I thought this subject matter would be right down your alley

Absolutely! Is the 1/72 kit the One Man Model one? What's it like?

• Like 3

Paint on - decanted AS-12 for the aluminium and SMS lacquer for the white. Since I took this photo I've tried a couple of the decals - half expecting them to be no good, given they're 14 years old - but no problems, they went on fine. So full steam ahead on the decals.

YS-11 WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 8

good to hear the decals are ok, decals seem often to be the downfall of a lot of builds, seem to remember they were in the Nordic GB.

The scheme looks nice and smart.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well done indeed!!!  Gee so looks really smart in that scheme.

It is quite different to see a Japanese commercial aircraft in a US Airlines scheme, it's usually the other way around, so a great choice for the build.

Well thanks for bring this build along, always great to follow one of your builds, I hope you enjoyed it.

• Thanks 1