Width of yellow bands on Lightning T4s?

David Womby

I have been digging in every book I have and looking online.  Does anybody know?  They look like 36" on wings and fuselage to me.

Also, did the wing bands extend over the top and bottom of the flaps?

Thanks.

David

I have just looked at the Modeldecal sheet 70 instructions which has a 74 Sqn T4 on it and strangely does not mention the width of the yellow stripes. It tells you the colour and that they do not extend over the flaps, but unusually for Dick Ward instructons not the width.

• Thanks 1

Yes.  I have that sheet and was surprised  Dick Ward hadn't specified that.    Looking at pics and drawings, I am now thinking 36" for the fuselage but calculating 27-30" for the wings.

David 

23 hours ago, David Womby said:

I have been digging in every book I have and looking online.  Does anybody know?  They look like 36" on wings and fuselage to me.

Also, did the wing bands extend over the top and bottom of the flaps?

Thanks.

David

David, I am not 100% sure where I scanned this from, but it may assist you.  The final surface finish design for a particular aircraft was the responsibility of the aircraft design team to guidelines specified by the Air Ministry/MoD and dependant on its ultimate role.

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

David, I am not 100% sure where I scanned this from, but it may assist you.  The final surface finish design for a particular aircraft was the responsibility of the aircraft design team to guidelines specified by the Air Ministry/MoD and dependant on its ultimate role.

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis 

Thanks, Dennis.  Based on this, I would expect the Lightning wing bands to be measured in whole feet too - probably 2ft.  Looks like I'll have to mock up a 2ft and 3ft set and see which looks right.

David

34 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Thanks, Dennis.  Based on this, I would expect the Lightning wing bands to be measured in whole feet too - probably 2ft.  Looks like I'll have to mock up a 2ft and 3ft set and see which looks right.

David

David, Fuselage and wing bands were normally, but not always, the same width.  In MD sheet 47, Dick Ward gave the nose roundel diameter on the Lightning as 36 inches.  Based on that and the photos attached, I would say that the width of the bands of both, wing and fuselage, would be the same, i.e. 36 inches.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

PS - Multi engined aircraft in the training role, Ansons and Lincolns appear, in general, not to have carried the bands on the wings although a few rarities, mostly Lancasters, appear to have,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

David, Fuselage and wing bands were normally, but not always, the same width.  In MD sheet 47, Dick Ward gave the nose roundel diameter on the Lightning as 36 inches.  Based on that and the photos attached, I would say that the width of the bands of both, wing and fuselage, would be the same, i.e. 36 inches.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

PS - Multi engined aircraft in the training role, Ansons and Lincolns appear, in general, not to have carried the bands on the wings although a few rarities, mostly Lancasters, appear to have,

Dennis there's a rare pic you can see on eBay right now (be quick, - the sale ends today) that shows the view more clearly from above.   It's here: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403593074907?hash=item5df80598db:g:z4IAAOSwYmliLNzA

It looks to me like the wing bands are narrower than the fuselage one, at least on that one.  What do you think?

David

I am having a real challenge deciding the width of these yellow wing bands on the early trainer scheme.  So I mocked up 2ft on port and 3ft on starboard (I know the yellow shouldn't extend over the flaps).  I think 2ft wins.  Does anybody have the official paint guide for the T4?

spacer.png[/img

spacer.png

spacer.png

David