Seafire XV SR632

Good morning.  As a child of the 1960s, it is mandatory that I have a Spitfire / Seafire obsession.  Based upon an image I found on the web, backed up with support and advice on this august site (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108053-seafire-spinner-colour-i-cant-believe-im-asking-this), I have modelled this airframe from 805 Squadron FAA.  It is the Special Hobby 1/48 kit which was a delight to put together and makes an interesting contrast with other versions of Spitfire / Seafire.

A full album of images (I love taking the 'official' portrait when the model is complete) can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzKHTx

The prototype:

Seafire_XV_5H-O_806.jpg

And the model:

52005903568_e98802ea5f_b.jpg

52005840426_e32e403fa2_b.jpg

52006361920_4e7037f287_b.jpg

Contrast with DP845, the Mk. IV / XX / XII prototype.  The XV was a developed and navalised version of the XII.

52004822937_3dc3efac1a_b.jpg

52006097334_ac1e5da8f4_b.jpg

And the well-stained underside:

52006362235_df035b0a29_b.jpg

Happy Easter!

Neil

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

Lovely work @neilfergylee. What paint did you use, and did you lighten the colours? I've built two, and for the one in TSS I used Polly Scale acrylics. I think the colours came out a little darker than I expected, though the satin coat may have darkened them.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 04:02, Wlad said:

Lovely work @neilfergylee. What paint did you use, and did you lighten the colours? I've built two, and for the one in TSS I used Polly Scale acrylics. I think the colours came out a little darker than I expected, though the satin coat may have darkened them.

Cheers,

Wlad

Thanks @Wlad!  I used the inevitable Halfords primer to begin-with, with a white undercoat for the undersurfaces.  From there, I used MRP for the three main colours, followed by Alclad Aqua gloss prior to decals and finished it with Xtracrylix matt varnish to finish it off.  I think some of the lightening might have been the strong natural light on the morning I took the pictures but I have to say that MRP is an absolute delight to apply.

Cheers,

Neil