Alclad ll paints: where are they now?

Denford

Does anybody know what has happened to Alclad ll paints?

Not the ‘Metallic’ and ‘CandyColours’ (still readily available) but their ‘ordinary’ MlL-SPEC range of Airbrush Ready paints.  Coded ALCE followed by 3 digits.  Named colours (coded as appropriate) such as ‘RLM65 Hellblau’, in 30 ml screw-top bottles.  These were listed (somewhat randomly) and could be bought separately though there were a few ‘composite’ sets with 3 bottles e.g., USN WWll.

Air Brush ready, the first I ever used, and I’ll never thin again if I can avoid it!  Quick drying, solvent based not acrylic, easily cleaned using a quick spray with Nail Polish remover: much cheaper than any proprietary cleaner! The bottle declares ‘Made in England – Patent Pending’

They had a terrestial address in Norfolk and were selling from their stand at Telford.  They were aware of the need for certain late-war Luftwaffe colours so I felt no need to mention FAA Slate Grey

Tracking down via the address on the bottle gives ‘Domain over used or seller ran out of rescources’.

Where are they (and their stock) now?

If I recall correctly, the MIL-SPEC range is enamel. It's possible they have fallen foul of the same regulations as the humbrol enamels

Alclad2.com was working for me earlier and lists a range of UK stockists

HTH

/P

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dunno where they are now, but I dug mine out yesterday and most of them had gone off.  How does a lacquer paint go off? :hmmm:

That’s why I was going to order some more. The ones that have gone bad were very old though, certainly over ten years old. 

Alclad II still in operation as far as I know. I ordered a few bottles from online supplier about a month ago. But you can find them on the Mig-Ammo site . I don't know if they bought them or share licensing. my bottles still say the Alclad is home based in Tennessee.

4 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

That’s why I was going to order some more. The ones that have gone bad were very old though, certainly over ten years old. 

Mine weren't new, but some of them were... recent.  I've got some Xtracrylix that's as old as my return to modelling, and some Mr Color that's as old and has gone through a trip back to the UK from NZ.  Still work just dandy. :hmmm:

To those who have been good enough to reply it is the coloured paints in which I am interested.  Metallic 'shades' are still (!) widely available, but not the 'bog standard' colours eg PRU blue, RLM 65 Hellblau.

Also what has happened to the UK supplier who had a 'base' in Norfolk but has now disappeared into cyberspace.

Alclad are still listed as having a stand at Telford (where I could ask) , but that's a long way off....

22 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

My understanding was, as long as it's stored appropriately (ie avoiding temperature extremes) and the lid has a tight seal, both enamels and lacquers should last for decades. I've used 1970s and 1980s tins of Humbrol enamel successfully a number of times in recent years.

Edited by -Ian-

Alclad paint is produced by 2 businesses, one based in the USA and the other in the UK.  They have a historic connection but have operated separately for several years.

The UK business which is still based in Norfolk is about to be re-branded as H R Hobbies, I spoke to Robert, the "R "of H R Hobbies a couple of days ago and the paint will continue in production as before but under the H R Hobbies brand name.  They expect their new website to be up and running in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

If you want an airbrush ready acrylic lacquer I recommend SMS paints made in Australia. They come in both acrylic lacquer and water based acrylics. Full range of accurate colours I believe they are available from Hannants and other UK outlets.

www.scalemodeller.com.au

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I noticed that the HR Hobbies website is up and running now. The paints look like they come in new bottles. Anyway, the website is www.hrhobbies.co.uk if you’re interested. 

There's some confusion between Alclad and HR Hobbies, which I'm not sure about.  Could be some upset there, but I'm not sure.  I'll go off and re-read the email I got the other day :hmmm:

There's a dispute over the ownership of the brand name, so I think HR Hobbies are using their own brand name.  Whether there's different stuff in the bottles or not, I don't know, but the Airbrush company sell HR Hobbies products here.  Not sure where you'd get Alclad from now though.

• 2 weeks later...

None of this is what I was really seeking - see original posting.

Metallic colours are widely available.  It's the 'ordinary' colours I was after.  If there is a dispute over the 'ownership' of the name this would explain why they can only be found by 'remaindering' from existing stocks.

To define my objective, met by Alclad ll, but who else?

- Ready to spray

- Prefer Acrylic.

- Aircraft colours

- Colours MUST be referenced by 'system' eg FS number, RLM, BS etc.  Yes, I know there are some that don't use these eg Japanese, Israeli in which case this MUST be used as part of the identification.  Likewise some 'unique' identifications such as PRU Blue, Aotake.  Too often paints are merely identified as Mid Tan, Light Grey.

Yes: I know the Xtracolour/Xtracrylic do this but they aren't ready to spray.  Likewise some manufacturers sometimes and inconsistently add, say, and FS number.  Often this isn't listed on the description and can't easily be seen on the picture of the bottle:  Almost as if they were embarassed to show it!

As a Post Script, I do like the little glass ball that Alclad often include to help mixing.  Not obligatory as I have now a small stock of them.

1 hour ago, Denford said:

None of this is what I was really seeking - see original posting.

Metallic colours are widely available.  It's the 'ordinary' colours I was after.  If there is a dispute over the 'ownership' of the name this would explain why they can only be found by 'remaindering' from existing stocks.

To define my objective, met by Alclad ll, but who else?

- Ready to spray

- Prefer Acrylic.

- Aircraft colours

- Colours MUST be referenced by 'system' eg FS number, RLM, BS etc.  Yes, I know there are some that don't use these eg Japanese, Israeli in which case this MUST be used as part of the identification.  Likewise some 'unique' identifications such as PRU Blue, Aotake.  Too often paints are merely identified as Mid Tan, Light Grey.

Yes: I know the Xtracolour/Xtracrylic do this but they aren't ready to spray.  Likewise some manufacturers sometimes and inconsistently add, say, and FS number.  Often this isn't listed on the description and can't easily be seen on the picture of the bottle:  Almost as if they were embarassed to show it!

As a Post Script, I do like the little glass ball that Alclad often include to help mixing.  Not obligatory as I have now a small stock of them.

Did you actually go to the HR Hobbies website? I just checked and the Mil Spec paints are listed, which, iirc, is exactly what you were asking for.

I dunno, you try to help people….:shrug:

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Did you actually go to the HR Hobbies website? I just checked and the Mil Spec paints are listed, which, iirc, is exactly what you were asking for.

I dunno, you try to help people….:shrug:

I did indeed.

The Website (via Google Search) shows just 'Hobbies' and of Alclad there is no trace.  Based near Norwich so presumably the correct one.

Mil Spec (nothing to link it to Alclad) gives just 2 subjects!

- AK interactive Slime and Grime..

- AK interactive Metal Burnishing Fluid

Hence my posting!

Thank you for this.

Don't think I would have ever found it otherwise!  There's no (to me) self evident connection \  link to Alclad II as was.

Always thought they were Acrylic, rather than Enamel, though don't really mind.

Incidentally I use Nail Varnish remover to clean my airbrush and leave the nozzle assembly in it till required.

Will be curious to see if the bottles are the same size.  At Telford I was, very generously, donated a rack which still has quite a few vacant spaces in it.

Denford,

No problem.

Alclad started in the UK in the 1990s but after a few years one of the owners moved to the USA and started a second production line there. The 2 businesses have operated independently ever since but there seems to have been some dispute between them recently. The UK business has now removed all references to Alclad from their website and the products which is probably why you couldn't find any link to Alclad.

I spoke to one of the owners of HR Hobbies recently and the paints are made to the same specification as always it's just the brand name that's changed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...