VW Kafer 1/16 - Revell

Josep

Hello fellows,

Let me show my current WIP. The VW Kafer, 1/16 from Revell, that I started in december 2021:

spacer.png

This is a little odd project...: I got this model from Wallapop, because it was already started. It was a 20 euros bargain!

As you can see here, the whole model was painted in gloss black (from spray):

spacer.png

The former owner didn't do a great work. The seats were poorly painted also... (surely with a brush):

spacer.png

Some of the mounted parts, were also partly painted, as the steering wheel...

spacer.png

My idea, was to transform this VW Beetle  in and abandoned and rusted car, painted in light green.

First of all, I airbrushed the whole model with Vallejo Nato Brown 71.249, in order to represent the rusted car's parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also used Vallejo 71.042 (Dark Brown), and 71.129 (Light Rust), in order to create more colour variety:

spacer.png

Following step: I tried to fix the engine.

It was already mounted, but painted in a very simple way. After some carefully re-painted work, It looked like this:

BIpo5u5M_o.jpg

spacer.png

The seats were also re-painted, in a cream colour.

spacer.png

And weathered with a wash, to achieve a semi-gloss and worn effect.

spacer.png

After this, I mounted and painted the doors:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following step, -previous to paint in light green the model-, was to apply Vallejo liquid mask in those spots whre I wanted the chipping effect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this are the three colours I used for the light green. In fact, the mix was random...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here in the above pic, you can see clearly the spots on the roof, where the liquid Mask has been applied:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Starting the chipping proces...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The clear parts depicting the windscreen and the rear windows, were missing. So I did them from scratch, cutting a fruit box...the result is quite well 😉

spacer.png

I had to dismantle all the wheels, in order to paint it and weathered. Fortunately, it was easy.

spacer.png

Once the wheels were ready, I put together the body and the chasis. This required some extra glue and time:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And thst it is all for the moment.

This car is almost ready, and I think en few days will be completed.

I'll appreciate your comments.

And thanks for watching!!

• Like 7

Nice work Josep! This version with the twin rear windows is just lovely, in any state, brand new or rusty! You did some nice repair work on the engine there. 

I'm working on a 1/24 version (off the record), it will look different 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Nice work Josep! This version with the twin rear windows is just lovely, in any state, brand new or rusty! You did some nice repair work on the engine there. 

I'm working on a 1/24 version (off the record), it will look different 🙂 

Thanks Jeroen!

Definitely a lovely model...I'd like to see yours, also. I hope you put it in WIP!

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Looks good! :thumbsup:

The battery sat on the right-side floorboard under the rear seat. My '63 had a crude patch where the acid ate through the floor. 

Ohh...

I wish I had one of this old Beetles

4 hours ago, Josep said:

Thanks Jeroen!

Definitely a lovely model...I'd like to see yours, also. I hope you put it in WIP!

No WIP but it will be in RFI in the next couple of weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellows,

Here are some more pics...

In order to paint the bumpers,  windscreen wipers and other chrome parts, I had to remove the chrome layer which came originally from the kit, since it seems totally toylike...😏

I removed it using "Mr. Muscle", a product of Johnson for cleaning ovens. I put all the pieces in a plastic bag, sprayed the product over, and after one hour more or less, all pieces were clean.

After this, I painted with Vallejo Chome 71.064. Over this first layer, I applied other colours in order to achieve a weathered and rusted effect.

spacer.png

I took some pics of the dashboard and interiors, which afterwards barely will be visible:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I left the right door closed, and the left slightly open:

spacer.png

The windscreen wipers, here already painted, and put in their place.

spacer.png

Front bumper with number plate,  jack and wheel spanner, and rear-view mirror, painted and ready to installation:

Of course this is a big scale model, but the level of detail is very good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My idea was to continue  installing the optics, but...

...the previous owner glued on the clear optics, and they have become opaque (like white...).
They are unusable...🙄 

Here, you can see the both optics, with their support.

spacer.png

I tried to cleaning them, but I couldn't achieve any good.

So, as a last chance, I decided to ask for two new parts to Revell customer service. They answered to me, that I would receive the two optics in three working weekf, at NO COST.

And that's all for the moment guys...The model is almost done, bout waiting for the optics...

Thanks for watching!

• Like 4

Hello BM fellows,

Hopefully, Revell was so kind to send me the  optics, in just one week. Good!

And when I opened the box,  besides the optics, I received all the clear parts. A small box, with a big surprise...and, as I explained in the previous post, at no cost.

Thank you, Revell!! 👋👋

spacer.png

Here, a pic of the new optic.

Before the installation, I used some of the clear parts, in order to simulate the lamps...

spacer.png

in this close up,  you can see the result, after puttig both optics in their place:

spacer.png

Inside the bonnet, I added a cloth, made from paper and airbrushed in dark red, with some drops of black.

Handy to using in case the spare wheel needed change...

spacer.png

And here the final reveal:

spacer.png

I hope you enjoyed it.

I'll put some more images in RFI

Your comments will be welcomed, and thanks for watching! 

• Like 2