17pdr SP Achilles

My entry for this STGB is the Tamiya 1/35 M10 Achilles.

spacer.png

This is one of those kits which just looks right.  Simply opening the box inspired me. :thumbsup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots of sprues.  Lots of parts!

• Like 5

Hi Enzo. Great to have you here and with what looks like a very good kit. I like Tamiya kits. There's something very reassuring about them. Welcome to the GB.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies everyone.  Once again I have got caught up in the build (and all the others I have in progress) and have neglected the documentation.  Bad Enzo! :nono:

So let's get caught up.  Let me stress that this build has been progressing steadily since the start of the GB - it hasn't suddenly jumped into being!

First step is to build up the lower hull.  Many tank kits have this moulded as one part but this is built up from multiple components.  On other kits this has meant that the lower hull is flimsy and needs a lot of internal bracing.  With this kit, nothing could be further from the truth.  It is an easy build leading to a nice robust hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Each bogie is made up of twelve parts.  Although it sounds like it could be a tricky build, it's not.  Just a bit tedious putting six assemblies together.  But then. that's always going to be the way for a Sherman. :shrug:

Once again I have added some ballast into the hull to give the model a bit of heft.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Let's get some primer on it and watch the detail pop! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many of the pre-Grouping British railway companies used to paint the first locomotive of a class in a grey colour for exactly the same reason.  Once the photographs were taken, the engine would be repainted in the company livery. 

• Like 3

Great to see you have been working on this one Enzo, and it all looks to be progressing rather well! Lovely job. :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yep...   I've done it again!  :fraidnot:   The model is finished and in the build gallery and I have (once again0 severely neglected a build thread.  :sorry:

So let me try and catch up. 

The Achilles was produced by fitting a British 17pdr gun into an American M10 GMC.  My thought process here was that the interior of the vehicle would remain in US olive drab, apart from the British components.  The exterior would be repainted in SCC 15.

I therefore sprayed the interior with Lifecolor UA-220 while the exterior and British components were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-270.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The colour difference is quite apparent in this shot.

spacer.png

Turret assembly was completed and the interior masked off.

spacer.png

The running gear was painted and fitted.  The tracks were painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer.  The rubber blocks were drybrushed with Lifecolor UA-733.

spacer.png

Upper hull and turret fitted.

spacer.png

and decals added.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi Enzo. Well done on getting your build finished and into the Gallery in time!  It looks excellent and the crew figures really bring it to life! Well done.

Thank you for building in this GB. 

And thank you for all your hard work setting up the GBs.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1