Mig-21PF - The Next Generation

Enzo the Magnificent

Having already entered a first generation Mig-21 in this groupbuild, I thought I should follow it up with a second generation jet.

The Mig-21PF was the first version to carry an onboard radar and this marked the start of the aircraft's evolution into a multi-role fighter.

This will use the Eduard kit. in the markings of a Soviet aircraft taking part in Operation Danube.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to get a move on with documenting this build as the model is all but finished!  :banghead: 

As one would expect from a modern Eduard kit, the interior is nicely detailed and goes together well.  The kit is a Profipak with coloured PE.  However, I just used the instrument panel decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

The wings have seperate ailerons and flaps, which I wasn't expecting in this scale. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The intakes on the rear fuselage are tiny.  As with every other Mig-21 I have evcer built, the caroet monster took one or two of them, so I had to improvise with slivers of plastic card.  Eventually I was in a position to prime it.

spacer.png

The cockpit looks suitably busy.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I usually like to build my aircraft models with open canopies.  However, that doesn't work for some aircraft.  If the canopy is a sliding one (Harrier single seaters) or fairly lightweight (F-4 Phantom) they can be safely left open on the deck without putting undue stress on the canopy hinges.  Some aircraft with heavy canopies (F-15, F-16, F/A-18) have a robust canopy structure and can also be left open on the line.

However, some aircraft are best left with their canopies closed.  BAE Hawks and Harrier t-birds have heavy canopies which open to the side.  Leave them open and it puts a lot of stress on the canopy hinges.  That's why such aircraft are rarely seen with the canopy open while parked up on the line.

I imagine that the early Mig-21s were similar as one rarely sees them parked with the forward opening canopy inthe open position.   So I built this one closed up!

spacer.png

Onward to the fun stuff!

I sprayed the model overall with AK Xtreme Metal AK479 Aluminium.   I believe that early Soviet jets were painted overall in aluminoium paint, rather than being in bare metal.  However, I have seen a number of photographs showing darker panels on the wings, so I opted to represent them.  I find that the AK480 Dark Aluminium provides a massive contrast with the standard aluminiim and just does not look right.  So I made my own mix of 80:20 AK479 and AK480, just enough to provide a nice contrast.  I have used the Dark Aluminium on the tailpipe together with an overspray of Alclad sepia tint.

spacer.png

The Operation Danube recognition bands were masked and painted...

spacer.png

... and the decals applied.

spacer.png

The greeblies have been prepared and are ready for fitment, although I got a bit carried away and fitted the undercarriage. :lol: 

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...