First Armour Build - Tamiya T34/76 1/35 scale

T34 1/35

So after my grandsons decided that my fledgling 1/72 aircraft builds passed inspection and then went into a 'unauthorised' dogfight with expected results...I thought I would give building some armour a go. 

Really enjoyed this kit, went together nicely and I'm pleased with my efforts for a first timer 

T34 1/35

Painted in Vallejo acrylics with a bit of oil paint weathering and a Flory Models Wash overcoat of Dark Dirt through the airbrush and some chippping with a aluminium pencil. 

T34 1/35

Still a lot to learn, but that is the fun bit, track sag, rust effects, mud....oh my word. 

T34 1/35

Thanks for looking and any comments more than welcome, I learn through listening to experience/skillset. 

Andy 

• Like 28

Your first armour build looks good sir. 

This one looks like it rolled right out of the factory. 

Maybe for your next build you could try some more color modulation by, for example, doing a dot filter with oilpaint. This will give more depth to the vehicle. 

There are some very good tutorials online and with a tank like this one it could really lift up the vehicle.

I like it, looks good. I always try to include a figure - the supplied commander for example - just to give a sense of scale. I know figures aren’t everyone’s thing - certainly not mine - but I think they add to it.

14 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Your first armour build looks good sir. 

This one looks like it rolled right out of the factory. 

Maybe for your next build you could try some more color modulation by, for example, doing a dot filter with oilpaint. This will give more depth to the vehicle. 

There are some very good tutorials online and with a tank like this one it could really lift up the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply, I tried a dot filter using a blend of white & yellow oil paints which seemed to work, but then became less obvious when sprayed with the Flory Wash. 

Maybe a case of less is more? 

HI Andy,

A good start with the AFVs at 1/35. A very appropriate model for guinea pigs, and if it turns out to your liking, it's very cool, I also have one of these, but from Zvezda, as first models made when I returned to the hobby, and also like you, I tried many new things with the...I even did a "reboot" once it was finished and a bit later, which luckily I think, IHMO, improved it...
As mate @Maddoxx77 comments, these techniques would be very useful for the model, although it is true that they are not entirely easy if you are just starting out, but in your case, the T34, being a single color, can look monotonous ...
Also, the photos are an important part of showing others our finish, for better or worse, so if they are dark, the result cannot be done justice....
Now I have precisely published something similar, a KV-85, which is one of the last things I did a while ago, and I think you can appreciate what I'm telling you.
I hope to see more models of yours soon in the forum.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

T34 new T34 new T34 new T34 new

So, after some advice and tips (thankyou all) I had a little play with some oil paint shading. 

I found that a single dot of oil wouldn't blend in too well, maybe as a result of the dried Flory wash I had previously applied. I diluted the oil with thinners and applied it liberally, let it dry, then 'buffed' with a dry paintbrush. 

I then finished off with a bit of Tamiya weathering powder. 

The photos were taken in a better light than the originals and hopefully the weathering shows a little better. 

Andy 

• Like 2

That looks good. Subtle but effective weathering. The lack of over the top rust and chipping is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. 👍 

• Like 1