Gliding Pt.2 and 3 More handling today and again.

Paul J

Hello. Went for my second flight this afternoon. I called the club this morning with a view of booking another flight and to my surprise they said  today!  So I made my way to the field and checked in to find they were expecting me. My glider today was a Glaser Dirks DG505 Elan Orion G-CKOW. Managed 29 minutes with quite a bit of handling under instruction. All went well too.  Thermals weren't playing that much today but we did get a couple. Its such a nice feeling up there on silent wings. Afterwards, my pilot inst. said many encouraging things  about the trip and I am now almost bitten and debating whether I should take it further stopping short of soloing as I think my condition might prevent that but I am told what I have been doing is plenty good enough and to just enjoy the experience. Trouble is will my wallet hold out. Today it cost me less than an Airfix Vulcan.!
vdrb0M.jpg

Just about taking up slack....Note, todays tug was the Pawnee.
nA70gM.jpg

... airbourne
s50Hmx.jpg

Being hauled up to 3000'.
N69IAl.jpg

d8Lwbx.jpg

Nil2iV.jpg

Thats the field top centre.
zce3mi.jpg

My glider for this trip and instructor.  Note retracting undercart!!!!
NkKTSg.jpg

Cockpit area.
UGMmRD.jpg

Thats about it for now. I'll give it a break for a bit and maybe update things as they happen.  

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

I did a bit of gliding in the early 90s and when the aero tow releases its like you just stop ! Very strange feeling for me. But what a way to spend a sunny afternoon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I did a bit of gliding in the early 90s and when the aero tow releases its like you just stop ! Very strange feeling for me. But what a way to spend a sunny afternoon. 

When I did my Gliding course in 1970 courtesy of the ATC , it was always a winch launch and heights from the launch weren't that great.  The aero tow is new to me. My first experience was on Saturday just gone when I had my first glider flight since 1970.  Thoroughly enjoyable. 

Keep going regularly and you'll quickly progress! I'm gliding at Cranwell on Sunday, although I'll be going up the winch most likely. Most of what I need right now is practicing launches, approach planning and landings so now short flights are better. 

SUNDAY April 24th. 3rd part of my Gliding .

Hi. This part 3 of my Gliding recently. I had another flight today virtually for the entire trip I was in control as P2 other than the take off and landing.  Being as the weather was being a bit fickle, no sooner than I found a thermal, it dropped out . In the ned managed a 25 minute flight. Still pleased with my efforts as was the instructor. Whether I will continue to further this is debatable. But I will still try and get more time dual and soloing is not on the cards for m. I am just going to enjoy it for fun. 

Not so many pics today and no inflight ones as I left the camera behind. But here are some pics I did take from ground level.

6SwIOh.jpg

AQS8WB.jpg

BBankE.jpg

F6SjbE.jpg

LvmzQR.jpg

DMRhu7.jpg

AAjb1C.jpg

G-CJOX ASK-21. My steed for today. This one makes it that I have flown all three two seaters the club owns.

• Paul J changed the title to Gliding Pt.2 and 3 More handling today and again.