Figure uniform paint set advice.

Doggy

Hi all.

I build a lot of Tamiya tanks but up until now I've not bothered with the figures, mainly down to not having the paint available. 

So now I want to start painting the tank crews, US, German, Russian mainly and I was thinking it would be much easier just to buy a set, something like the vallejo panzer aces sets. 

Something like this https://www.emodels.co.uk/vallejo-panzer-aces-color-set-70128.html

http://www.norton.co.uk/70126-panzer-aces-no-3-8-model-colour-acrilic-paint-set-p8498

I was looking at the mig ammo site but I couldn't see tank crew sets, it was mainly infantry. Is there any other options out there for tank crew sets?

I could use the Tamiya colour call outs but the Tamiya doesn't brush well.

Thanks in advance.

A number of companies have figure specific painting sets, such as Lifecolor, AMMO, Vallejo and so forth.  Pick one you think will be the best for your use and go with it.  I've used Lifecolor and AMMO, and can recommend those, but I've not used the others, so I'll keep my gob shut :)

• Like 1

These are fantastic sets as a starter in figure painting. £21 for 8 paints is reasonable at £2.50 each and you get a decent range of colours in the link you’ve attached to paint your crew. I particularly like the Vallejo sets and have bought a few in the past. These will be enough to get you started with, definitely. And you’ll probably end up mixing colours between them any way.

When you get further along, you’ll see you use more of some colours than others so these sets become less useful. Some of those colours you’ll probably not use much.

I started off with Tamiya paints. I think we all do! But for painting figures, they’re too gunky. You can’t go wrong with Vallejo for figures.

Don’t forget to post photos of your figures!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/04/2022 at 15:01, Doggy said:

Tamiya doesn't brush well.

Myth,  just not thinned correctly.

Needs to be thinned with a small amount of water and ideally flow improver, at a push try washing up liquid, just something that breaks surface tension of water,  Get a small syringe,   I use de-ionised water (it was sold for ironing in supermarkets) ,  or use distilled water. 

you want 95-98% water and the rest flow improver.

add a few drops of Tamiya  to a palette,  add water mix a drop at a time,  this stops it drying so fast, which is the main problem as it causes the next brush stroke to lift the paint.   

If using for large areas, use a small flat brush.   Done like this Tamiya brushes really well.   You can use Tamiya with Vallejo like this,  Tamiya makes a better base coat as it's stick to plastic a bit better.

The above works for Vallejo as well.  

Vallejo do a great range of colours, but are often too intense for figure work.   

I like shading with oil paint thinned in lighter fuel, and then drybrush the base colours to highlight.   

This maybe of use as it shows these techniques. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072084-132-airfix-paratrooper-officer/

HTH