1/72 Airfix Lynx HAS.2 - Done

Nice choice Dermo, sadly the Airifx kit is showing it's age. The Hobby Boss kits didn't live up to their expectation. It's time for  some new tool Lynx.

Colin

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, heloman1 said:

Nice choice Dermo, sadly the Airifx kit is showing it's age. The Hobby Boss kits didn't live up to their expectation. It's time for  some new tool Lynx.

Colin

Agree 100% Colin, new tool Lynx would be great!

This kit was second hand so not bagged in original packaging.,

52011002001_87f7472059_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And separated out the internals to start on those..

52011002176_ef1e23350b_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_contents_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

So started on the cabin - light grey then masked up.

52014129539_f317406187_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Flat black with some gaps left to mimic the cargo tie downs. The insulation on the back wall is from textured tape (not that you'll see it).

52014399350_2cc7efdb67_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Main question now is whether to build her pre May 1982 or after the raid of 25 May.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 9

On 4/20/2022 at 6:15 AM, CliffB said:

Have you decided yet? :winkgrin:

Looks like it's the latter @CliffB ! 

52019990605_39abb1225b_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS2.Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Have installed a thin bulkhead from foil and airframe structure below that from card.

52019469401_19f2ae3198_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

It will probably end up looking a bit rubbish...but I wanted to give it a try and tell a story at the same time. 

Cheers,

Der

• Like 8

Thanks all and a bit more scratchbuilding bodging done..

What's left of the nose....plasticard

52029555174_788349848d_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And added to the front along with the windows.

52029816385_e988ed1b20_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will hopefully look better with some paint as well as wires added to flesh out the empty space.

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 7

Thanks all.

Just also to give a shout out to @Ex-FAAWAFU for sharing some great Lynx pics with me - thank you sir.

Black primer.

52044487262_4fbb7c87d7_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then started on what was left of the nose. This is thin brass wire from an old toaster cable that was being recycled. Given that it's 1/72, I'm trying to give an impression of the damage, not match it exactly.

52045528481_63106826af_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The nose area was then sprayed white and the leftover was used in an attempt to add some pre-shade.

52045535861_4bbdb57f67_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_8a by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then a light coat of Tamiya Blue XF-8 which was the closest I had. Once it gets Future and weathering, it wiill be a little darker.

52046040905_f54facf161_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I've yet to add some boxes to the nose to replicate some internals and 'fill out' that space a bit more.

More soon, thanks for looking.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 8

On 4/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, Tony G said:

Coming on really well. 

How that bomb missed the fitted Mk 46 torpedo and just took off the Broadsword Lynx nose, is one of life’s great good luck stories.

Mk.44. 

I was Flight Commander of Broadsword 7 years later.  The repairs were almost - but not quite - invisible; you could still see a discernible dent in the flight deck in certain conditions, and when it was really cold the bombed section melted first (presumably the insulation beneath wasn’t rebuilt to the same standards).

Good luck with finding references for the MAD fit; I’ve been looking for years, with a view to doing a 1/48 attempt at this - there isn’t much out there.

As I think I have said before, I flew this very airframe in my penultimate sortie as a Naval pilot.

[By the way, your “pre May 1982” photo is a different airframe, though obviously very useful as a reference; the patches over the holes in the flight deck mean it must have been taken later than 25 May.]

Definitely got my attention!

• Like 7

On 5/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Mk.44. 

I was Flight Commander of Broadsword 7 years later.  The repairs were almost - but not quite - invisible; you could still see a discernible dent in the flight deck in certain conditions, and when it was really cold the bombed section melted first (presumably the insulation beneath wasn’t rebuilt to the same standards).

Good luck with finding references for the MAD fit; I’ve been looking for years, with a view to doing a 1/48 attempt at this - there isn’t much out there.

As I think I have said before, I flew this very airframe in my penultimate sortie as a Naval pilot.

[By the way, your “pre May 1982” photo is a different airframe, though obviously very useful as a reference; the patches over the holes in the flight deck mean it must have been taken later than 25 May.]

Definitely got my attention!

Great thanks for clearing up on the photos - rookie mistake! :facepalm:

On the MAD fit, did the Dutch fly with something similar? Have seen some pics of their Lynx's with a MAD set-up...🤔

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 11:44 PM, Dermo245 said:

Great thanks for clearing up on the photos - rookie mistake! :facepalm:

On the MAD fit, did the Dutch fly with something similar? Have seen some pics of their Lynx's with a MAD set-up...🤔

I have seen ref of the MAD fit, have a look in the Pinned pages back to the Lynx GB, there may be something there.

If not Message me.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Dermo245 changed the title to 1/72 Airfix Lynx HAS.2 - Done

So with the last bits added, she's done. There should be a torpedo on the starboard pylon but I can't find it on the bench here. :facepalm:

Turned out ok...some of my work is a little heavy-handed in places.

52236961570_b665b028e4_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Done (11)R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Still have to finish a small base of a flight deck for it.

52236748979_00ff523be7_b.jpgAirfix_Lynx_HAS-2_Done (20)R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will post some more pics in the Gallery. Thanks to Crispin for some great photos during the build and for all your comments. And thanks @Enzo Matrix for leading this one.

And my respect to all who served in this conflict.

All the best,
Dermot

• Like 10