Eastern Express 1/144 Bombardier Q400 - Flybe

Bombardier Q400 - 1/144 Eastern Express

'Flybe' decals by Nazca

q400-2.jpg

I had wanted to add a Flybe Q400 to my airliner collection for quite a while, as one of those in the subset of 'aircraft I have flown on'  I was working in Compiegne north of Paris in 2010-11 and regularly flew from Manchester to Paris CDG on these. I always liked Flybe, the cabin crew were always very pleasant, and the flights always ran on time. It was a shame when they went bust in 2020, although they are now starting up again.

I managed to get this kit from the brother of Jeff 'Pinky coffeeboat' who sadly passed away two years ago in April. I never met Jeff but we shared an interest in airliner modelling and often commented on each other builds in this very forum.

It came with the markings for the purple scheme, but I really wanted to do the earlier white and pale blue scheme. Fortunately Nazca do a laser printed sheet, which I duly ordered.  If you are looking down on us Jeff, I hope you approve of what I did with your kit.

q400-1.jpg

q400-3.jpg

q400-4.jpg

q400-5.jpg

q400-7.jpg

q400-8.jpg

q400-9.jpg

I painted up some 'N' gauge railway figures as aircrew, and fitted them in the cockpit. It beats even photo realistic window decals!

q400-6.jpg

q400-10.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll dedicate this thread to the memory of Jeff 'Pinky coffeeboat'. Blue skies matey!

Cheers

John

• Like 38

Wonderful build John

The Flybe livery looks very smart.

I bet it must have been tricky to get the blue parts painted symetrically on such a rather small model.

Very well done

I looked at this kit many times on ebay,now definitely one more for my wishlist😉

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

That's a real beauty John and I'm sure Pinky Coffeboat would be delighted with the result.

I'm afraid my experience of Flybe was rather less positive than yours but that didn't stop me being sorry when they folded. I wonder if any of the rumours about a possible re-start will come true?

Dave G 🇺🇦

• Like 2

That's a lovely rendition of a very important aircraft of recent times. I just wish the kit wasn't so expensive given that there are so many colour schemes applicable to the Q400. As of today Flybe are operational again.

Keith

• Like 1

That's a beautiful build!

It's always touching to read when builds are personal.

I did fly in CR from BHX to ABZ on a work trip.  It was a good flight!

Although I had a caning headache on the return flight on CZ, and those engines did not help!

• Like 2

Excellent build John, like you I've spent many hours in these out of Manchester to various destinations - generally a good experience, sad to see them go under.

Minor comment - its far too clean for a Flybe machine!!

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

On 14/04/2022 at 14:46, Alex1978 said:

I looked at this kit many times on ebay, now definitely one more for my wishlist😉

It is a very nice kit Alex, worth getting if you can find one at a good price.

On 14/04/2022 at 17:11, Skodadriver said:

I'm afraid my experience of Flybe was rather less positive than yours but that didn't stop me being sorry when they folded.

I guess I'm just easily pleased Dave! They were certainly good compared to my experience with Skyways Sweden (Fokker 50). Lost my ticket & luggage, Rose Kleb employed as cabin crew, etc. They went bust shortly after my hideous flights with them.

On 14/04/2022 at 20:57, Britman said:

I just wish the kit wasn't so expensive

Me too Keith, Eastern Express have a weird pricing policy.

On 14/04/2022 at 21:07, neilg said:

That's a beautiful build!

It's always touching to read when builds are personal.

I did fly in CR from BHX to ABZ on a work trip.  It was a good flight!

Although I had a caning headache on the return flight on CZ, and those engines did not help!

It was a bit of a boneshaker on startup wasn't Neil!

On 15/04/2022 at 13:58, Widow 65 said:

John, already PM'd you, but once again thank you so much for sharing this and dedicating to my brother.  A lovely touch.

Many thanks Nick, I'm glad you like it, and I'm sorry I never got to meet Jeff.

Thanks everyone,

John