#1 - 1/48th Mitsubishi F-15J - 303rd TFS, 60th Anniversary - finished

trickyrich

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats good to know as I have just secured a set of decals and masks in 1/48 for the Su-27.😁

There goes that "buy" setting on the laptop again!

🇺🇦

I've got a gaming keyboard but the programmable hotkey's are not set for gaming, guess for what then? (just kidding). Let's say they are "not yet" so 🤭)

• Haha 3

Well this is a mixed update, part of me is happy with it the other sort of wises I could bin this build! :blink:

Between the gloss finish and the decals this is hard work! Half my problems is that I just can’t seem to nail a good glossy finish, which is needed with these decals! :wall:

The DXM decals are generally really nice to use, I don’t have a problem with them…..when they are small, large ones are different. They don’t split, break or anything nasty t\like that, but they are quiet thick and you have to use decal setting and softening solution else they won’t conform properly and they won’t show any panel details. 

Plus they are just TOO big, the one on the LH wing was huge! This scheme would have been so much nicer and easier to do with masks, and looked so much better.

Anyway, the finish surface isn’t nice and smooth (my fault hopeless with gloss clear) and the decals look quite patchy (decal solutions, they did eventually snuggled right down), but from a distance she does look impressive.

IMG_7214-L.jpg

IMG_7213-L.jpg

IMG_7216-L.jpg

IMG_7215-L.jpg

I have started the huge task of putting on all the stencilling, I was going to cheat and use the Hasegawa ones but they all pretty much started to breakup when I used them. So I’ll continue on the billions of DXM ones! 

On a rather exciting note SWMBO has worked out how to use the Silhouette Curio Cutting/Printing/everything else machine (though she’s gone crazy labelling everything in the pantry, even the cat is afraid!!), but wow it is super impressive with it’s cutting abilities. It can do super tight cuts with nice sharp points. So have given her the task of converting some of the schemes/decals I have into masks!! In 1/32nd, masks for a “Splinter” MiG-21MF (building that later in the year or early next), for the Viggen of course, and in 1/35th, Mi-24 in the “Tiger Meet” scheme (the one with the orange tail), plus probably any other crazy schemes I can find! If I can scan it I can make a mask!

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to #1 - 1/48th Mitsubishi F-15J - 303rd TFS, 60th Anniversary - decals on....well the big ones!

What you've created looks great regardless of the issues you've suffered with the larger decals Rich :goodjob:  Although I'm now considering using the 72nd scale sheet as a pattern to cut masks based on your experiences.

Now is it only me who thinks that segment at the left wing root looks like a little dog?

• Haha 2

yeah make some masks it'll be much easier!

Yeap I'm sure that is a dog as well! :D It was upside down when I put it on and thought that was a really strange shaped decal....then giggled when I saw it the right way up.....one of the painters must have had a sense of humour or it's a mascot.

doggy-M.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Looking good Rich.

You might not be happy with how the decals look but I really do think they look good, and that is definitely a dog, no doubt about it.

Very good of Mrs. Rich to go out and buy such a useful modelling tool, sounds like you have some good projects planned for it too.

🇺🇦

after seeing and buying some of these new 3D printed exhaust cans (ones being used here as an example) I am really tempted! Now if I could retire or win lotto........ :D

• Haha 2

On 5/10/2022 at 7:42 AM, Col. said:

I can't help feeling it was one of those "Bet you can't..." moments in the paintshop.

Never happens...  :whistle:

• Haha 1

This build looks amazing so far! I really want to make one of these myself, but I've lately baulked at the cost of the DXM sheets where I live. Might be time to revisit that though based on how good your build is looking!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

This build looks amazing so far! I really want to make one of these myself, but I've lately baulked at the cost of the DXM sheets where I live. Might be time to revisit that though based on how good your build is looking!

I don't have any real issues with DXM decals, for the most part they are really nice decals. This is the 3rd or 4th set I've used. Just in this case, with the larger ones they are not for the faint hearted, and you must use decal solutions.

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I don't have any real issues with DXM decals, for the most part they are really nice decals. This is the 3rd or 4th set I've used. Just in this case, with the larger ones they are not for the faint hearted, and you must use decal solutions.

Well in the end I have put a cool F-15 in my cart at Hobbysearch - not the same as this one but another wicked scheme. It's a Hasegawa 1/72 kit but it'll work out cheaper than getting a vanilla F-15 and the DXM set. Some stuff in Australia is so expensive relative to other modeling markets, it seems!

Meanwhile I will enjoy your build!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well ok, not too much to report here as to progress!!

I have slowly been doing the decaling, and there are hundreds!!  Not quite as bad as a Phantom, but bad enough. The DXM decals are generally nice but their tiny ones no so, so progress has been very slow!

Not helped by the fact I’ve lost a lot of Mojo with this build, namely because of the horrible job I did with the clear coat…..basically it’s crap!

I am going to try a coat of Alclad Klear Gloss over her before I give her a wash and final flat coat, this Alclad stuff does seem to go on quite nicely, plus with using Flory Wash there will be no reaction with it either.

IMG_7230-L.jpg

God the surface looks like :poop:

Not too much to go with her, I will finish her intime……. Just so she doesn’t clog up the shelf of Doom!

• Like 10

• trickyrich changed the title to #1 - 1/48th Mitsubishi F-15J - 303rd TFS, 60th Anniversary - tiny update - 29/5

Don't beat yourself up over that clearcoat, the scheme is still awesome and with another layer of gloss and some washing this will look great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Wow it has been ages since I updated this build….and actually done any work on her….have been suffering complete lack of Mojo on this build…..mainly due to the crappy finish with the clear coat!! 

Anything other than gloss and I can nail it with the finish, give me a clear gloss and I may as well be painting with an old 6” paint brush, the finish is that bad. :wall:

Anyway have been persevering and she now 98% done! I just need to finish off the missiles.

From a distance at the right angle, she actually looks ok. While the DXM decals are good, they need heaps of decal softening solution to hunker down nicely as they are so thick. Plus complex curves…….. not fun!!! This ideally should have been a masking job, would have looked a 1000% better!

IMG_7283-L.jpg

IMG_7284-L.jpg

IMG_7285-L.jpg

So what else have I been doing other than building stuff I should for the build….well buying heaps!!! 

Now have:

Another Kitty Hawk 1/35th MH-60L Blackhawk, horrible model, but at ½ retail I couldn’t not buy it. Will build a 160th SOAR MH-60L DAP!!! 

Plus now have a Vintage Planes (now Kinetic) 1/24th P-47D Thunderbolt, that’ll be a RAF SEAC bird.

IMG_7251-L.jpg

Plus the jewel in the modelling crown, the new Zoukie-Mura 1/32nd Bf-109G14!!!!!   🥰 Am hoping to build that one next year, can’t wait!

IMG_7268-L.jpg

Plus been working on the Ukraine Su-27, today was painting day!  She had already be prepped with a wee bit of primer and panel shading (most of which disappeared under the coats, so it was out with the amazing Foxbot masks. I just can't say enough about just how good these masks are, probably the best available anywhere for this type of masking, and just so nice to use!!

From start to finish just 6 hours, completely blown away with the finish and just how little time it took!!

IMG_7281-L.jpg

IMG_7279-L.jpg

IMG_7280-L.jpg

Just a wee bit more to do and the painting is done! Looking forward to clearing this one away, need to be ready for the F-15 STGB!!

Speaking of which, she's a big sucker!!!

IMG_7282-L.jpg

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to #1 - 1/48th Mitsubishi F-15J - 303rd TFS, 60th Anniversary - finally an update plus extras!!!

Somehow I managed to miss this until now.  The Eagle looks great despite the finish issues, which I cant see anyway.

AW

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

your work is always top notch rich. really great. 👍
must resist buying an f-15 for the gb.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dansk said:

your work is always top notch rich. really great. 👍
must resist buying an f-15 for the gb.

you know you want to and there is still plenty of time!!!  :D

• Like 1

I think your F-15 looks insanely cool. I zoomed right in one your photo and the surface looks great to me - it's certainly far better than anything I can do. Stencils do suck and Japanese planes seem to have one on every square inch. Kudos to you for perseverance!

• Thanks 1