Mig 21F-13 Fishbed C

Enzo the Magnificent

It may seem that I am late to the party, but - as usual - I've been a bit of a wallflower.  I started my builds at the start of the GB.  I have a nasty habit of not documenting them properly, which isn't a good look for the Groupbuild moderator... :fraidnot: 

So I need to catch up with this one as it is nearly complete.

I have a fascination with early versions of things.  It is very interesting to explore how they first came in to being before they evolved into what we know today.  The Mig 21 is a perfect example.  When it originally came in to service, it was seen as a major threat to NATO.  A delta-winged supersonic interceptor which had the potential to outclass anythng that the West could put up agaiunst it.

Well, that was all a bit of a panic.  The early versions of the Mig 21 were little more than supersonic Hawker Hunter equivakents!  True, they carried missiles, but they had no onboard radar and had a very short range.   The design did mature into a versatile and capable multi-role fighter but that does not mean that the eraly versions were not interesting - just not quite as scary as was thought at the time.

This model will be the 1/72 Revell model build straight from the box.  This has been in The Stash for a long time so it deserves to see the light of day. 

spacer.png

It's a nice straightfprward kit, although it is moulded in horrid silver plastic.  :puke:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It may seem that I am late to the party, but - as usual - I've been a bit of a wallflower.  I started my builds at the start of the GB.  I have a nasty habit of not documenting them properly, which isn't a good look for the Groupbuild moderator... :fraidnot: 

Its ok Enzo we understand you have multiple Zoo’s and a boat load of wrangling wild model builders into line. We truly Thank you for all your hard work, besides you're here now thats what counts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

a boat load of wrangling wild model builders into line.

Actually, that's not as difficult as it sounds.  But shhhh...! 🤫  Don't tell anyone.  :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a very early Mig-21 so the interior is in grey rather than that weird blue/green colour.

spacer.png

I thought my days of producing tail sitters were behind me, but then I built the Airfix Vampire!  Now, I tend to overcompensate with nose ballast...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Probably the best looking version of the Mig-21 if not the most capable.

Off to a cracking start too, have you decided which scheme to build it as yet?

As for nose weight I always err on the side of caution as it is always better to have more than need than less than you want, a bit like models really.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated this build and wih the end of the GB at the weekend, I should really get to it.

I'm also very conscious of the fact that the narrative will not be much different from that in my Mig-21PFM build - even down to losing the tiny intake parts!

So maybe I'll just post some photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Primed with my usual grey plastic car primer and then sprayed overall with AK Xtreme Metal AK479 Aluminium. The slightly darker panels were a 80:20 mix of AK479 and AK480 Dark Aluminium.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stickers on!  :fool: 

spacer.png

Greeblies prepared and ready for fitment.

spacer.png

• Like 7