UK Red Air Contract

Muzz

I think it is their (Draken) name for the Aero Alca, flown as single seaters.

An interesting (read slightly odd) choice, given that I think the USAF has just decided not to renew and that they shut down some previous work in the UK quite abruptly, according to some ex-staff.

Whether they were unsatisfactory in some way or the USAF has another supplier or process available I don't know.  It may be the USAF wants higher capability than the Draken kit allowed.   I recall reading that another contract they have is/was in jeopardy, in which case this contract will be even more important to them. 

Presumably this is supposed to replace 100 Sqn and provide service for both RAF and Navy.

Great shame - I believe we are now scraping the barrel in terms of numbers and retained expertise. Previously in-house capabilities replaced by commercial contractors. Can they operate to the levels the services themselves produced?  Are they allowed to? -  civil ops being held to different standards.  Hmm.  Discuss ! 

Edited by John B (Sc)

18 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

An interesting (read slightly odd) choice, given that I think the USAF has just decided not to renew and that they shut down some previous work in the UK quite abruptly, according to some ex-staff.

Whether they were unsatisfactory in some way or the USAF has another supplier or process available I don't know.  It may be the USAF wants higher capability than the Draken kit allowed.  

I don't think they've been binned by the USAF completely just the (presumably huge) contract at Nellis AB which isn't being renewed when it ends in June and at the moment their not looking to start a new contract with anyone else.

Eight of these doesn’t seem many. They may well have better serviceability than the T.1s did, but like all aircraft, they’re not immune to serviceability issues.

Also, what range do these have? Based out of Teeside makes it a long way to the Navy’s Thursday War exercises. Or are they exclusive to the RAF?

I’m quite surprised that after training and now aggressor work, transport isn’t being at least partially privatised. And maybe Draken could take on QRA as well if it saves a couple of quid.

8 hours ago, Filler said:

Eight of these doesn’t seem many. They may well have better serviceability than the T.1s did, but like all aircraft, they’re not immune to serviceability issues.

Also, what range do these have? Based out of Teeside makes it a long way to the Navy’s Thursday War exercises. Or are they exclusive to the RAF?

I’m quite surprised that after training and now aggressor work, transport isn’t being at least partially privatised. And maybe Draken could take on QRA as well if it saves a couple of quid.

I wouldn't worry to much not enough gash barges to carry out a thursday war....if you ask me the rot set in when the pusser left PORTLAND 

23 hours ago, Muzz said:

I don't think they've been binned by the USAF completely just the (presumably huge) contract at Nellis AB which isn't being renewed when it ends in June and at the moment their not looking to start a new contract with anyone else.

Maybe private hire isn't the answer?

Keith

19 hours ago, Britman said:

Maybe private hire isn't the answer?

Keith

Maybe they do not want private companies to know 5th gen capabilities in too much detail?

Would make sense especially for Nellis...

• Like 1