Which Beaufort?

Stressy

For what it's worth I would stick with the one you have.

It's not particularly 'green' to just ditch a kit because a new one comes along.

I'm sure you will make a good job of the Special Hobby one.

I have neither kit so cannot comment on their merits or otherwise.

• Like 1

This is a review of the Airfix kit:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096018-bristol-beaufort-mki-a04021-172/&do=findComment&comment=4129975

There's this for the Special Hobby kit:

http://kits.kitreview.com/beaufortmkiireviewgp_1.htm

I have had the Special Hobby kit for several years and which I've nearly started several times but never quite collected the right amount of enthusiasm. I bought the Airfix kit and fully intend to build both eventually. Probably.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stressy said:

Now the Airfix kit is well established,  should I buy one and ditch my Special Hobby one  - or stick with what I have?

Which SH Beaufort have you got? If it's the Mk Ia/II or DAP Mk.VIII, hang on to it. The Airfix kit is a Mk I.

• Like 1

I have a SH Beaufort Mk.I and the Airfix kit. 

For me, the Airfix kit looks better. The bomb-bay area is mush more accurate looking. SH just has a long slot on the fuselage bottom with a couple long doors as an alternative.

The SH engine cowlings don't look all that great to me either. With Airfix, you get two flap options, with or without that little half circle bit. With SH, those are cast resin bots that you would have to try and glue onto the flap area.

View the SH kit here:  https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Bristol-Beaufort-Mk.I.html

Airfix kit here: https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Bristol-Beaufort-Mk.I-40270908.html

Chris

I tried the SH Mk VIII a few years ago and it beat me, ending up partially completed on the shelf of doom.  Last year I took the Airfix Mk 1, added the High Planes DAP Mk V/VI conversion, Eduard Interior & Bomb Bay and then used my decals and PE from the SH to get a DAP Mk VIII.  I was very pleased with the result.  I agree the Airfix is a cracker and is an enjoyable build.  

Edited by Drop Bear

14 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

What about accuracy? Airfix vs SH?

/Finn

It will be long to say, but most Special Hobby / MPM kit in 1/72 are hard to construct with a lot of use of puty and so on.

Ecxept perhaps there serie of P 40 and Bf 109 E (how are in fact made in colaboration with Eduard).

Alain

41 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

It will be long to say, but most Special Hobby / MPM kit in 1/72 are hard to construct with a lot of use of puty and so on.

Ecxept perhaps there serie of P 40 and Bf 109 E (how are in fact made in colaboration with Eduard).

Alain

Thanks. Not a big surprise, but the build that @Ed Russell linked to shows that it's buildable. I have the both kits and will probably do both as the kit version, dismissing the fact that I'm am very fond of kit-bashing.

/Finn

13 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Look here for inspiration to finish it

Believe it or not, I had been following just that thread!  I realised it was well beyond my skill set at the time and, sad to say it fell from the shelf of doom into the bin of no return...........

After my last post I realised I forgot to note Uncle Les, who also produces a very nice DAP Mk VIII conversion too.  At the time he provided me with a pair of nose guns.

You'll love the Airfix Kit.....

23 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

You'll love the Airfix Kit.....

I have several Airfix with a plan for each. I am just waiting on the HPM Mk VIII conversion for one of them. It will not stop me from building the SH one though. I think, between @Navy Bird and myself we have worked out most of the pitfalls.

• Like 1

The Special Hobby one sounds like the more fun build.... but then I do have a strange idea of what fun in scale modelling is. Short run kits are high on the list of things I enjoy building

I have the Airfix one though because I also like more accurate models, and it's just what the model shop had

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2