Compressor Problem?

fishplanebeer

I currently have a rather old Badger BA1000 compressor which has worked OK until now but I think it may have a problem so just want to check.

I'm using an Iwata Eclipse with the 0.35mm nozzle and the highest indicated air pressure it will deliver is around 16 psi which seems a tad low even allowing for the fact that the gauge cannot be relied upon to be bang on accurate anyway. When I attempt to spray the maximum coverage it will deliver at its indicated maximum 16 psi is around 0.25 inch/6mm wide which seems quite narrow and suggests a much lower psi is actually being delivered.

Also when spraying into the palm of my hand the pressure just doesn't feel as strong as before so I'm thinking it is losing its compressive power and may need to be replaced but just want to check before I have to splash out.

Regards

Colin.

They're simple enough. Pull the head off the cylinder and do some investigating, it may just need a clean out of the reed valves (assuming that the motor's in good nick and is turning at the correct speed). Worst case is new piston and rings, which may be more effort than its worth. But investigating costs nothing. 

Typically with a 0.35mm nozzle what sort of air pressure should the compressor (any compressor) be able to deliver, accepting the fact that the gauge itself may not be bang on accurate?

I usually spray at around 18-20 psi for general coverage with a paint to thinner ratio of 3:1 or 2:1 depending upon the colour (the latter for yellow and white) and that has worked fine until now but perhaps the fact that the compressor fell off its shelf and landed on the floor may have affected things somewhat?

I'm happy to shell out for a new one as at the moment it is impossible to spray the white undersides of my Hellcat and the project is now stalled.

Regards

Colin.

4 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Typically with a 0.35mm nozzle what sort of air pressure should the compressor (any compressor) be able to deliver, accepting the fact that the gauge itself may not be bang on accurate?

Hi Colin,

I can spray at quite low pressures (8 psi - if you can also believe my gauge) with little difficulty through my 0.35 Eclipse. Just one thing to check. I had a similar problem and found I had a fur ball in the nozzle. It is amazing how these airbrushes will still operate with crud in them. Removed it by gently pushing a 0.25 copper wire up the nozzle. Problem solved. 

Ray