Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 1 Mk.11. "Betty" and Ohka Mk.11

JOCKNEY

A bit of a golden oldie from the 1970's, complete with Hales sticker on the box.

IMG_6338

A little bit of work was done by the previous owner, looking forward to this one 

Cheers Pat

• Like 15

Hi Pat,

that is big! But you do have a very big house, so keep building! You may just have to move all the single malt bottles to the cellar to make some more room.

Joke aside, this is a nice plane, and the Ohka is just a nice cherry on top of the cake.

I will definitely follow that one!

Have fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

Nice one Pat,

I built the Frog re-boxing way back, with no Ohka of course, and may get round to refurbishing it one day, along with the Peggy, Sally, Helen, Mavis and Emily which are all lurking in my roof. They will need a lot of paint! The Hamaki (Cigar) as its crews apparently called it had a big fuselage but it was still a pretty sleek looking plane with excellent speed and range for its day, but with little or no protection for the crew or fuel in the early versions it caught fire far too easily, giving a slightly unfortunate slant on the nickname. Later versions were better with some protection and heavy armament - the 20mm cannon on my old version are more like 50mm - don't know if they are better in your kit as Scalemates say they retooled it in the 1990's? Eduard do a nice set for the Emily which could also be used on this I presume.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Welcome along Pat nice to have you join us, and with a bit of a classic as well.

These mid size twin engine aircraft were quite unusual in there shape compared to American and English designs, but I do like them.

Should be a nice model to build, which version are you going to build?

Good luck with the build, one to follow with interest.

Hi Pat,

I was just going through some old mags looking for an article, and I found that my Betty cost about 27/6 (say £1.38) and my Emily cost all of 32/6 (£1.63) when I bought them in 1970, but when I bought my Mavis 9 years later the price was up to about £5 - makes me feel quite ill when I look at the sort of prices they are going for today - even on King Kit your Betty/Ohka combi is £40 second hand! In the mid 1970's Revell Japan issued a series of useful kit - Ki-21 Sally, Ki-49 Helen for about £2.10, Ki-45 Nick, P1Y Frances and J1N Irving for £1.10 - all pretty nice kits and I still have them. Of course Hasegawa later covered most if not all of them but at a far higher price. I must stop looking at adverts in old mags - it is too depressing! 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Blimey Pete

Its a good job Mrs Jockney doesn't know what my ancient stash members are worth, they would all be listed on evil bay to go towards our next family holiday !

I'd better save the box for @TonyW I still owe him some from the Heller GB !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Blimey Pete

Its a good job Mrs Jockney doesn't know what my ancient stash members are worth, they would all be listed on evil bay to go towards our next family holiday !

Cheers Pat

Tonys Home for Orphan Boxes is always happy to take new additions.

They are shown much love and attention, to help them get over the trauma of separation from their contents.

🥰

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Blimey Pete

Cheers Pat

well you'd better build them quick then huh!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat,

For the record, your kit is a `1971 rebox of the original 1969 moulding of a G4M1 Model II to which they have added an Ohka. I don't know whether it is like the old Frog Spitfire XIV with V1 Flying Bomb and just there for amusement, but that model Betty could not carry an Ohka. In fact they were launched from a modified later G4M2 known as the G4M2e which had ASV radar aerials in the nose and on the fuselage sides as in their boxings of their more recent 1996 moulding, but you probably know that already! The more recent kits to some extent justify their higher price as they are a lot more detailed I guess, and the same would apply to the Emily which they also re-tooled, but not the Mavis as that is still the 1970 tooling. I suspect the Emily you did a year or two back was the same moulding as mine.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

So it is just a seperate kit to go alongside the Betty which is a relief - a bit of a marketing gimmick I guess like the VI in the Frog Spitfire kit!

Pete

• Like 1

Intrigued by the panting instruction for the rocket motor.  How did it get burnt on a one flight Ohka?  Was ground running even possible?

AW

ps autocorrect changed Ohka into zouks!😂

• Haha 3

On 4/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, Andwil said:

Intrigued by the panting instruction for the rocket motor.  How did it get burnt on a one flight Ohka?  Was ground running even possible?

Good point..... great to see you've started this one Pat, you should have it dine in an evening.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, Andwil said:

ps autocorrect changed Ohka into zouks!😂

it's always fun.... even more so when the site's "naughty word remover" jumps into action!! Try typing and posting the word "P****"  as in "the pin p**** had produced a drop of blood"..... into a sentence, what comes out is hilarious!!  :rofl2:

• Like 1

I believe that instead of giving it a normal type code name, the allies decided to call it "Baka" which was supposedly Japanese for "foolish"! The Japanese were rather more poetic, calling it "Cherry Blossom" which in their culture was highly symbolic, supposedly representing the flower of youth falling to their death.

Pete

• Like 1

Apologies for the delay in updating this one

20220503_105219

I'm not sure if this is the correct external colour but I've gone for IJA Light Grey Green

IMG_6372

IMG_6376

If this isn't correct, now would be a good time to tell me :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Hi Pat,

I did think that they might have been left unpainted, but apparently not! A lot of the pics may well be ones found after the end of the war that were still in bare metal but my USAF book on Japanese bombs says grey all over - well at least the warhead, and I presume the airframe would be the same which makes sense as it would match the undersides of the Betty!

Baka

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pete

I'll have to have a rummage through the paints for my "50 shades of grey" sorry couldn't help myself  :giggle:

Then we can decide which if any are suitable,  there isn't much to paint !

Cheers Pat

As I am sure you know both JNAF and JAAF are supposed to have used "greenish grey" but the IJN versions seems a bit less green to me. I seem to remember you like Humbrol paint but I am blowed if I can think of anything appropriate for either service, but the conversion chart suggests 147 to replace the old Humbrol Authentic Japanese Navy grey and 149 for the green.  Plenty off other makes available - I used Gunze on my Judy, but I also have Tamiya.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete

I'm away from home for a few days so sneaked some kits in the car.

These are the grey paints I have with me

I'm thinking the XF-80 Royal light grey or the Revell 36371 Light Grey ?

I'm starting to get my "Orange" nervous twitch back again ! 😅 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

No idea as I cannot actually find FS*6371 on any of my FS595B charts. A conversion table I have shows the nearest Humbrol equivalent to that Revell paint is Hu 196 Light Grey which may be a little light, but worth a try perhaps. Anyway it is your kit so do what YOU want!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

I can sort of imagine the paint, if any was used, would have been anything they had lying around.

Just to make it look nice and neat as really didn't need to last very long....... as touchup jobs who have been a bit difficult to do!  

• Haha 2

So the Ohka is painted, yes now grey  !

And to quote Frank Spencer "Oh Betty" I've started on the G4M1 Betty bomber.

Notes_220519_124503_640

The instructions say a dark green interior so I've been really lazy and let well alone  !

Notes_220519_124456_0e1

The decals are absolutely shocking, even after being submerged in water for 20 minutes I had to use a paint brush to try to persuade the decal to leave the backing paper.

The results were as expected a fractured mess !

However@Stew Dapplehas come to my rescue for the Betty, and I think I can salvage enough of the bits for the Ohka.

Note to self building ancient kits can be great for nostalgic reasons but decals don’t always survive as well as the plastic :banghead:

Cheers Pat

• Like 7