ARVN tank crew figures?

Gary Brantley

I've been looking for a few figures in 1/35 to represent an Army of Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) tank crew on an M41 build.  I have found a set of Republic of Korea tank crewmen.    I'm wondering if those could be pressed into service as ARVN troops?

Here's a look at the ROK crew:

ROK_crew.jpeg

Some mods might be needed on the figures but perhaps these guys might pass as ARVN crew.    Any ideas or suggestions regarding this idea?  Thanks in advance for any help!

• 3 months later...

The only thing that looks out-of-place to me with the South Korean tankers is the helmets - I have a feeling they could be produced locally. Having said that, some Milliput and sanding could sort the shape out pretty easily...

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

ARVN crews used the same style of CVC helmets as US crews of that period. The Korean figures in the Academy set are wearing a later (post-SE Asia war) style of US helmet. From images I've seen, M1 infantry helmets were not uncommon (over headphones) for the turret crews. The ARVN also tended to wear berets quite a lot (French influence).

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, spruecutter96 said:

The only thing that looks out-of-place to me with the South Korean tankers is the helmets - I have a feeling they could be produced locally. Having said that, some Milliput and sanding could sort the shape out pretty easily...

Cheers. 

Chris. 

20 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

ARVN crews used the same style of CVC helmets as US crews of that period. The Korean figures in the Academy set are wearing a later (post-SE Asia war) style of US helmet. From images I've seen, M1 infantry helmets were not uncommon (over headphones) for the turret crews. The ARVN also tended to wear berets quite a lot (French influence).

A retired U.S. Army veteran told me much the same thing regarding those helmets.      I've seen quite a few photos that show ARVN tank commanders in the M1 infantry helmets, and yes @John Tapsell, some wearing berets as well. :D    I believe the ROK guys might work with a little surgery on those heads and maybe the load-bearing suspenders shown in the ad photo.    All of my 1/35 (or 1/32) figures are just too robust to represent the typical ARVN troopie.   Maybe they could use some "weight reduction" surgery too? ;)

I did come across some ARVN figures at a hobby shop in Ho Chi Minh City but I'm hesitant to spend what it would take to get them and shipped here.    Have any of you purchased anything from Vietnamese shops?    

Thanks for the replies and suggestions @old_tonto, @Black Knight, @spruecutter96, and @John Tapsell!    I sure do appreciate it! 🥃