1/72 Horten H.XVIII A by Model Collect / Rocket Models (part of the Fist of War series)

Flying Pancake

From their Twitter/Facebook:

2022年春のサプライズ!!

#モデルコレクト 大型新製品

1/72 Horten H.XVIII A Amnerikabomber

※全幅40㎝越えの巨大キット

※コックピット及び期待上面ターレット内部再現

※キャノピーは開閉部分を別パーツ化

※ランディングギアは開閉選択式

※エンジン内部を部分再現

※開閉選択式ウェポンベイ再現

https://twitter.com/rocket_models/status/1513455340431749125

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

I look forward to this model materialising, as I believe the old Sharkit offering had a very bad fit between the outer wings and the centre section - its no longer available anyway.

The H.XVIIIA is of course a Luft 46 project and no original drawings exist, other than some artists impressions, so this is a reconstruction from those and known dimensions.

Although the design is very elegant, it would never have been built as the Hortens formal design submission was the improbable looking H.XVIIIB with its huge spatted undercarriage and engines mounted either side of them.   The designations A and B as far as I know, do not exist in any original documents.

Contrary to the Hortens statements and those of other writers, Goering did not authorise construction  and the H.XVIII was regarded purely as a design study. Myhras claims that a complete set of design drawings were completed is likewise unsupported  and in reality they could not have been completed in the time available anyway.

The story of the development of the H.XVIII A/B as told by the Hortens and recounted by Myhra, does not stand up to scrutiny as the timeline does not fit the few known facts. I am sure there are elements of truth there but the real story has yet to be uncovered.

The model suggests an impressive array of external bombs and missiles. From my studies of the Hortens, I would question this.  All Horten types had low directional stability and could yaw/crab unless constantly flown accurately, which is tiring.  The additional external bombload MIGHT have been destabilising, if it was located forward of the CG and I wonder what would happen if the loads were dropped in pairs - would a bomb on one wing only, create a problematic assymetric yaw ?    I am not an aerodynamicist and would welcome any informed comments.

Please note that the superb and accurate drawings of the Ho,229 V3 and V3 by Arthur Bentley, show both bombs and drop tanks - but these are speculative and are NOT shown in any of the original construction drawings.. 

Paul

• Like 5

It has a better look than the B Model and in my point of view I won't install all these external stores... But I wonder when the kit will be available as Modelcollect announces some kits for years !

Whoop whoop! :) It never happened, but it's kinda cool, so who cares? ^_^

Before the nay-sayers arrive, might I advise them to 🎵 walk on by 🎵 and let the people that are happy about it have some fun :yes:

• Like 5

Mike - don't get me wrong - I do believe in whatever lights your candle.

However I do think there is a line between Luft46 - i.e. late Luftwaffe projects that were on the drawing board and other things that were pure fantasy.

Some modellers assume that just because a model is available, the subject existed as a design - such as the fantasy Horten crescent shaped wing with ramjets at each tip.

Violet Club - I completely agree that the B model with spatted undercarriage is horrible - but the design was real and an original 3 view exists to prove it. Documents also show it was this variant that was submitted in competition with the Ju.287 and Me.P.1107/II.    It appears that the Hortens were told that the engines were not to be  placed internally - yet those of the P1107/II were internal.    Its intriguing that the official assessment of the design couldn't really fault it but right concluded there might be significant unknowns and that it would take a lot of development.

The Hortens were then told to cooperate with Junkers.  This MIGHT have resulted in the EF130 design but there is no documentation to confirm.

There is nothing to support the Hortens claims that Junkers added a large fin.  Horten drawings of such a design are usually reproduced with the data panal cropped off - in fact its a postwar design.  Horten claims that they were ordered to start construction in the huge bunker at Kahla have not ( as far as I know) been verified and does not fit in with the little surviving documentation.  Many of the Hortens statements must be seen in the light of them being expert spin doctors who were trying to get emplyment in the postwar years.

Anyhow - hope the kit materialises sooner rather than later.

Paul

• Like 3

I completely agree !

I also remain skeptical about the ability to even build the H.XVIII in the Kahla bunker because it was so big - even when broken down into three components. 

It certainly couldn't be carried up to the mountain top runway on the lift because it was too big (and heavy ?)  and the idea of taking it up in parts and then assembling it, is laughable.

Paul

• Like 1

Robertone,

I have never been able to establish where the designation H.XVIII B-1 originated.

Although the aircraft looks impressive, the drawing is dated 1946 - its definitely postwar.

In my opinion, the date on the drawing might have been faked by the Hortens and its probab;ly much. probably later - if you look at the engine installations, they look like they have been copied from late 40's or early 50's American jet bombers.

Tough news hearing that this model may take some time to materialise.

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

£103.................. thats going to hurt.   Probably reasonable considering its size and limited  (?) sales.

Even at that price I would welcome the H.XVIII B(sic)  that was the final project variant submitted to the design competition.

Manufacturers please note - there are still no kits of H.I,   H.II,   H.IIId/e,   H.VI,   H.V (except the ultra rare one by Fruitbat)   and surpririsngly not the well known H.VIII flying wind tunnel.

Paul

Just looked on Hannants site and this model isn't even listed as a Future Release. 

Then I noticed that although the model can be ordered from Hobbylink, its a December release - aiming to get some money in early to smooth the cashflow or to judge the amount of interest ?

Can I safely assume that Hannants will stock it when its available  ?   Alternatively, if ordered from Hobbylink I assume its high postage plus import duty ????

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Just to say that HLJ did confirm to me that they are VAT registered with HMRC and all my purchases since the new laws has not incurred any extra cost. You can always contact them to confirm.

Regards

Robert

• 3 months later...

I have just spotted the model for sale on Ebay at £144   !

For those with the space, it would make an interesting comparison with the Northrop bombers.

This was never a really serious design - more of a publicity stunt to get attention within the RLM with its impressive perpective drawings.

Even as a longtime Horten researcher, I shall stick to 1/144 for this one, so that I have the space to display it with a 1/144  He.177, Ju287, Me262 and Ho229 so that you can get a feeling for the vast size of the H.XVIII.

Hopefully this might encourage someone to produce the 'b'  (not the postwar B-1)  but what about the H.VIII which was actually under construction or the H.V which has only been kitted in tiny numbers by Fruitbat Produtions decades ago.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...