References for LSK/NVA

DeepSea

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books/sites/etc which are good modelling references for the LSK (East German Airforce)?  I've a Mig-21 I'd like to build as an East German bird but thinking of others too.

Many thanks in advance

David

Airlife did a book called East German Air Force: Final Flightline by C J Van Gent (1993).  Full colour throughout.  Covers all types down to the little An-14.  A lot of those Airlife colour series can be picked up for next to nothing nowadays.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I agree with Andre, the Final Touchdown book has some good colour photographs of LSK MiG-21s of various marks, as well as a wide range of other types of course

• Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

Hello. Since this topic is for LSK DDR references I would like to know if there were some standards in the dimensions of LSK aircrafts insignias and number digits? Were they dependent from aircraft type or the time era? I want to order the printing of universal decals containing LSK markings and number digits in 1/72 scale and before doing this I've measured several LSK decals from different kits I have in my stash, but it appeared that the decals from different manufacturers even for the common aircraft type (MiG-21 for example) have different dimensions. And the dimensions for various aircraft types are also different: for example insingias from Eduard's MiG-15 kit are 8.3 mm/side, those from KP's Su-17M4 kit are 6.1 mm, R.V.Aircraft's MiG-23 insignias are 7.8 mm. The dimensions of digits are also different: for example Begemot's red digits for MiG-21 are 6.0x1.0 mm, the same digits from Hi-Decal Line are 7.2x1.0 mm. So I can't understand what dimensions should I take.

• Like 1

There is only a reference in the book, Flugzeuge der DDR Volume 1 for the first MiG-15 in 1956.

The insignia was stripped square with 56 to 57 cm on all sides.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Emblem_of_aircraft_of_NVA_(East_Germany).svg#/media/Datei:Emblem_of_aircraft_NVA_(East_Germany)_before_1959.svg

modelldoc

On 4/7/2023 at 5:01 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

I can't help you with the dimensions but LSK/NVA fighter aircraft had red numbers while recconnaissance,bomber,training and transport aircraft had black numbers.

Saluti

Giampiero

I would recommend these NVA decals by TOM Modelbau. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tom-modellbau-72001-nva-luftstreitkraefte-1956-1990--191401

They come with a useful A4 sheet explaining the history of the LSK markings and how they were applied over time. Some of them were actually decals. 😀

On 4/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Take a look at the "DHS-Die Flugzeuge der Luftstreitkräfte der Volksarmee" series of books.There is a book about the Mig-21F-13,about the Mig-21PF/SPS/SPS-K and a volume about the Mig-21U.

Saluti

Giampiero

Some of the DHS books have silly price tags, however some at least are still available from the German distributor, even though oop for quite some time (same applies to F40s).

There were also two small books by Wilfried Kopenhagen published by transpress in the mid/late 80s, "Flugzeuge und Hubschrauber der NVA". I can't vouch for their quality (and being free from propaganda/misinformation), but they used to be cheap as chips - in Germany, that is.

37 minutes ago, old_tonto said:

I would recommend these NVA decals by TOM Modelbau. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tom-modellbau-72001-nva-luftstreitkraefte-1956-1990--191401

They come with a useful A4 sheet explaining the history of the LSK markings and how they were applied over time. Some of them were actually decals. 😀

Do you know of anywhere that still has these?

Cheers

David

On 11/04/2023 at 14:14, old_tonto said:

I've seen these decals, but unfortunately they are not available in my country and on Hannants (where I can buy via some mates).