Did 23 Squadron have a Lightning T4?

David Womby

34 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

There's a photo of a T.5 XS417/Z in Richard Ward's book with the information it joined the unit in February '66 from the OCU. Can't find anything about a 23 squadron T.4.

Thanks, yes, I've seen that pic.  The Warpaint by Alan W Hall lists XM973/Z as being with 23 from 1964-65 but I have only found pics of that one with 226OCU, 111 and 19.

David

When 23Sqn reformed on Lightnings they initially had one T4, XM973. I have never seen any photos of it either and can't find a date for it leaving 23Sqn but suspect it left as soon as a T5 became available. I have seen photos of several T5s loaned to 23sqn from the OCU and still wearing the bright OCU markings and I do have the dates somewhere in my notes (wherever I have put them! I think they arrived just before one of the Battle of Britain airshows IIRC so Sept 196X?). As 23Sqn only operated the F3/F6 I should imagine they would have wanted to get the more appropriate T5 on their books as soon as was possible.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Me too, John, and she's a T5.  Thanks anyway.

David

I did try to find a photo of the T.4 mentioned above, I do have photos of her but non with 23 Sqn. If I was to take a punt on colours I'd go with the top two photos.

John

• Thanks 1

EE Lightning  by Stewart Scott Vol 1 page 258 has a photo of a T4 in 23 Sqn marks, captioned as the rarely photographed XM973. The serial is not visible, but you can make out the top bar of the Z. It has Sqn bars either side of the rounded, white spine and fin, swept fin flash at the leading edge of the fin, and the large ‘bird’ emblem on the fin.

There are references to it in the text in both Vol1 and Vol 2.

Definitely the T4 with the rounded fin top.

Peter

Edited by dambuster
Corrected serial
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dambuster said:

EE Lightning  by Stewart Scott Vol 1 page 258 has a photo of a T4 in 23 Sqn marks, captioned as the rarely photographed XM273. The serial is not visible, but you can make out the top bar of the Z. It has Sqn bars either side of the rounded, white spine and fin, swept fin flash at the leading edge of the fin, and the large ‘bird’ emblem on the fin.

Peter

Woohoo!   Thank you, Peter.

David

2 hours ago, dambuster said:

EE Lightning  by Stewart Scott Vol 1 page 258 has a photo of a T4 in 23 Sqn marks, captioned as the rarely photographed XM273. The serial is not visible, but you can make out the top bar of the Z. It has Sqn bars either side of the rounded, white spine and fin, swept fin flash at the leading edge of the fin, and the large ‘bird’ emblem on the fin.

Peter

Peter

Can you see if she has yellow bars on the wings and fuselage?   Is she carrying Firestreaks?

Thanks

David

On 4/13/2022 at 9:25 AM, Duncan B said:

When 23Sqn reformed on Lightnings they initially had one T4, XM973. I have never seen any photos of it either and can't find a date for it leaving 23Sqn but suspect it left as soon as a T5 became available. I have seen photos of several T5s loaned to 23sqn from the OCU and still wearing the bright OCU markings and I do have the dates somewhere in my notes (wherever I have put them! I think they arrived just before one of the Battle of Britain airshows IIRC so Sept 196X?). As 23Sqn only operated the F3/F6 I should imagine they would have wanted to get the more appropriate T5 on their books as soon as was possible.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

According to Scott the T4 joined on 8 Sep 64,  went to 60 MU for mods in Nov 64,  returning 31 Dec 64. It transferred to 226 OCU  on 31 Jan 66.  XS417 is given as joining 23 on 20 Dec 65, with 42.50 hrs.

Peter

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:08 PM, dambuster said:

Hi Duncan,

According to Scott the T4 joined on 8 Sep 64,  went to 60 MU for mods in Nov 64,  returning 31 Dec 64. It transferred to 226 OCU  on 31 Jan 66.  XS417 is given as joining 23 on 20 Dec 65, with 42.50 hrs.

Peter

Hi Peter, so it was on their books for a couple of years then, surprising that there aren't more photos of it floating around. I know someone who was a very keen spotter (and keen Lightning modeller) at Leuchars around then (or possibly just a little bit later) so will see if he has any photos of it.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...