B-52H at RAF Lakenheath.....

..... Well sort of!

DSC_9647.jpg

I went to Lakenheath today with a couple of good friends, hoping to catch some F-15C action in the last couple of weeks of their tenure in the UK. Unfortunately, no C-models put in an appearance, but we were delighted to see this!

DSC_9505.jpg

Setting the scene!

DSC_9519.jpg

DSC_9537.jpg

DSC_9690.jpg

Federal Aviation Administration (Flight Inspection Services) Bombardier Challenger 605 "N89" believed to be testing the ILS.

DSC_9746.jpg

DSC_9847.jpg

Surprise visitor!

DSC_9886.jpg

Another surprise visitor!

DSC_9910.jpg

DSC_9961.jpg

DSC_9970.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

I want to try to catch some C-models before they leave at the end of this month, so another trip is on the cards!

Some nice variety, despite the lack of -Cs!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Brilliant pics, the F-35's look almost ethereal with the contrails and their sheen. Wonderful pictures. 

Thanks very much, Parabat. The F-35 is growing on me - very slowly!

18 minutes ago, JohnT said:

fantastic photos and thanks for sharing

Thanks very much, John. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

but we were delighted to see this!

She crossed us here in West Sussex on her way to southern France. Her companion was stuck in Fairford, only departing an hour or two later. Your machine headed directly south over Brighton, returning late afternoon via Bournemouth. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She crossed us here in West Sussex on her way to southern France. Her companion was stuck in Fairford, only departing an hour or two later. Your machine headed directly south over Brighton, returning late afternoon via Bournemouth. 

Martin

Thanks for the information, Martin. I must confess that I wasn't aware that the B-52s were back at Fairford. 

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Amazing photos yet again- thank you for posting.

Colin

Thanks for the kind words, Colin. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them!

59 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks for the information, Martin. I must confess that I wasn't aware that the B-52s were back at Fairford. 

They arrived on the 17th February and are active most days. They have been all over Europe since then and yesterday the first departed, headed NE and turned over Lakenheath, taking a direct route to SPT (just off Brighton). She went on to the training area in Aquitaine. Her companion went tech and once she got going she headed south via Bournemouth and eventually went to the mid Mediterranean.  By the way, the Polish Herc was doing the daily equipment run between Lakenheath and Lask. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

They arrived on the 17th February and are active most days. They have been all over Europe since then and yesterday the first departed, headed NE and turned over Lakenheath, taking a direct route to SPT (just off Brighton). She went on to the training area in Aquitaine. Her companion went tech and once she got going she headed south via Bournemouth and eventually went to the mid Mediterranean.  By the way, the Polish Herc was doing the daily equipment run between Lakenheath and Lask. 

Thanks for the additional information, Martin. 

Did the daily equipment run by the Polish C-130 start before February this year?🤔

4 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Did the daily equipment run by the Polish C-130 start before February this year?🤔

No. I'm not sure when. In theory they support LN F-15s out there. 

• Thanks 1

@Alpha Delta 210

First time I have seen an LN F-35 with pylons - well caught.

Fighter Control reported a few days ago that the C's had flown their last operational missions, which suggests it'll just be the homeward flight some time (either for the ANG or the boneyard.) It would be worth keeping an eye on Fighter Control as most of the guesses on there are education ones! There's also information on the B-52s on an almost daily basis.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

@Alpha Delta 210

First time I have seen an LN F-35 with pylons - well caught.

Fighter Control reported a few days ago that the C's had flown their last operational missions, which suggests it'll just be the homeward flight some time (either for the ANG or the boneyard.) It would be worth keeping an eye on Fighter Control as most of the guesses on there are education ones! There's also information on the B-52s on an almost daily basis.

Hello Ian.

We were surprised to see the F-35 with the pylons, so I was happy with the "new", but disappointed not to catch the "old"! I guess that I left it too late! I have been on-base a couple of times, so have got plenty of images of the Cs, but it would have been nice to get a few shots before they are gone for good.

Thanks for the Fighter Control tip - I am a member, but for some reason, I rarely visit the forum.

Great pics, thanks for posting. It seems almost unreal that the F-15Cs are departing for good, after so many years. I'm not a huge fan of the F-35 aesthetically (especially the B-model), but then again it was hard to accept the change from F-4s to F-15s too, back in the day. And the end of the F-111s at UH. But progress is progress, and one can't deny that even the F-15s are starting to look dated compared to F-35s and F-22s. Still, with the B-52s getting new engines we can expect to see them around for the next 175 years or so.

Justin

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Great pictures as ever AD! Nice to see the B-52 overhead and a Chinook too. Add in the F35As with pylons and it looked like a nice day out. A shame about the lack of F-15C action though.

Thanks for the kind words, Latinbear. Yesterday was my first time at the fence (anywhere) as I'm not known for my patience! I would have given up and gone home before lunch if it hadn't been for the company of my friends!

4 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Great pics, thanks for posting. It seems almost unreal that the F-15Cs are departing for good, after so many years. I'm not a huge fan of the F-35 aesthetically (especially the B-model), but then again it was hard to accept the change from F-4s to F-15s too, back in the day. And the end of the F-111s at UH. But progress is progress, and one can't deny that even the F-15s are starting to look dated compared to F-35s and F-22s. Still, with the B-52s getting new engines we can expect to see them around for the next 175 years or so.

Justin

Hi Justin.  I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures.  I fully agree with your sentiments regarding the Lightning II. It just doesn't look "right" to me! 

Sad to see the C-models leave our shores, but as you say, progress is progress. 😉

59 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I fully agree with your sentiments regarding the Lightning II. It just doesn't look "right" to me! 

To help people like us, you'd think that the USAF would have the decency to paint them in European 1 Lizard pattern or something. Grey just doesn't cut it!

J

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Great pictures mate! I've been to Lakenheath twice now. Definitely need to upgrade my lens!

Thanks very much Dave. I'm pleased you liked the pictures. I was helped by the weather!

15 minutes ago, Bedders said:

To help people like us, you'd think that the USAF would have the decency to paint them in European 1 Lizard pattern or something. Grey just doesn't cut it!

J

Absolutely agree! Who's going to start the online petition?🤣

Another lovely series of shots Leigh!  The F-35 topsides are especially impressive. Shame about the lack of C types for you but the trip looked well worthwhile regardless.

Mark

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Another lovely series of shots Leigh!  The F-35 topsides are especially impressive. Shame about the lack of C types for you but the trip looked well worthwhile regardless.

Mark

Hi Mark. I hope you're well. Thanks very much! I love the effect of the sunlight on the F-35's skin. 

I was hoping for similar Eagle topsides, but I think that ship has sailed!

I might give it another go next Monday because the forecast looks good. 

1 minute ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Mark. I hope you're well. Thanks very much! I love the effect of the sunlight on the F-35's skin. 

I was hoping for similar Eagle topsides, but I think that ship has sailed!

I might give it another go next Monday because the forecast looks good. 

Leigh, I think I read that Lakenheath will only be flying 'mission essential' on Monday as it is the UK Easter Monday Bank Holiday. So although not a US holiday, the USAF endeavour to be good neighbours.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Leigh, I think I read that Lakenheath will only be flying 'mission essential' on Monday as it is the UK Easter Monday Bank Holiday. So although not a US holiday, the USAF endeavour to be good neighbours.  

Goodness me, so it is Mark! Thanks for the reminder!

6 hours ago, Bedders said:

J

There's always the Whif route!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1