Samurai warrior

I am really, reeeely out of my confort zone with this one! :yikes:  

This is a resin bust of a Samurai warrior.  Figures are not my strong point so I'm deliberately challenging myself.  The kit was bought from evilbay and I think the company is simply some bloke in China casting these in his garage. 

spacer.png

The goodies in the bag.

spacer.png

As you can see, this chap is definitely a Samurai because he has two swords.

And to give you some idea of scale.

spacer.png

This is scaring me.  :door: 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

As you can see, this chap is definitely a Samurai because he has two swords.

Hi Enzo,

Guess that would be a Katana and a Wakizashi then - Osprey Elite 23 on Samurai might be of interest to you.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Yes!  :thumbsup:

I'm actually leaning towards buggering up a figure in a futile attempt myself.  Actually accidently jumped the gun...but the kit comes w/ 2 so I'll hold off on the other for a few more days.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

A very nice figure, Enzo and an interesting subject ..... for those who dare (not me, as painting 1/48 plane's kits is sometimes already straining my moderate skills).

Taking a seat and wishing you fun and good luck.

• Like 1

welcome along Seiteki Taishōgun* Enzo!    :worthy:

With a figurine or bust...and it's resin to!!! :yahoo:

What a great choice and brave one too, it does look to be very nicely cast from the photos the detailing is excellent.

Will be interesting to follow this build, so good luck with it.

* "Commander-in-chief Subjugator of the barbarians/Britmodeller GB's"

22 hours ago, helios16v said:

Yes!  :thumbsup:

I'm actually leaning towards buggering up a figure in a futile attempt myself.  Actually accidently jumped the gun...but the kit comes w/ 2 so I'll hold off on the other for a few more days.  :whistle:

Mmm but have you told them what it will be of!!  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Mmm but have you told them what it will be of!!  :wicked:

Boots.  It's all about the boots!  :lol:

Actually I may have "accidentally" ordered something that could qualify for this GB...though I'll need to get a bit of a basic skill set established for figures so I don't make a waste of it.  A couple of these little plastic kits will hopefully give me the practice I need to tackle it.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Boots.  It's all about the boots!  :lol:

Actually I may have "accidentally" ordered something that could qualify for this GB...though I'll need to get a bit of a basic skill set established for figures so I don't make a waste of it.  A couple of these little plastic kits will hopefully give me the practice I need to tackle it.

"Accidentally"!!!!   :rofl2: 

Did your finger just "accidentally" hit the "buy now" button!! :D That's like me saying I "accidentally" bought some AM stuff for one of my builds! :D Which reminds me I have to go shopping again!

• Haha 3

I spent an hour or so this morning removing the casting plugs from the major components.  Then I sprayed the head and torso component with my usual grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

I decided to grasp the nettle right away and deal with the most difficult part first.

I sprayed the head with Lifecolor UA-710 Flesh 2 base.  I followed this up with airbrushed highlights of UA-708 Flesh 1 light.  After that had dried I set to work with some Wilder weathering oils.  These were drybrushed on with a very dry brush.  The eyes were painted with Lifecolor UA-776 Rough Light Grey.    Many years ago I read in a modelling magazine (probably Military Modelling) that one should never use blue or brown to paint pupils as this tends to make the figure look as if they are staring.  Grey or green is far better.   I used a light slate grey.

spacer.png

The result was far better than I expected from a first attempt.  He still needs some work though, especially around the lips.  He looks as though he is wearing lipstick, which is not a good look for a nobleman and warrior of his social stature. :D

I have a Lifecolor LP07 set which is a set of liquid pigments for flesh shadowing so I will give them a go in the coming days.

• Like 12

wow the detail really pops with the grey primer.

Gee you did an amazing job with the face, very nice!!! :thumbsup:

Though you are right, he does look a bit cross at you for putting the wrong shade of lipstick on him! :D

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Though you are right, he does look a bit cross at you for putting the wrong shade of lipstick on him! :D

He's a Samurai warrior.  I don't want him to be cross with me...  that's not going to end well.    :fraidnot: 

• Haha 3

Cracking start.

I've been watching various YT vids on miniature painting lately.  It is certainly an artform all it's own.  What you can achieve w/ highlighting and shadows is boggling.

• 1 month later...

I have been using this build as a rest from the high pressure of some of my other concurrent builds.    The face is better but it is still not there. 

The lanyards holding the armour and helmet were originally braided with brown and blue.  However, after I painted the blue tunic the lanyards seemed to fade into the background.  I have overpainted them with red and will braid them with either brown or black.

spacer.png

I feel that at the moment he is doing a very good impression of Spock, with one eyebrow raised.  Fascinating!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...