Messerschmitt Bf109G-10 Erla 'Black 13'

Hi all

This is my take on 'Black 13' - thought to be from JG 27 - discovered belly-landed and abandoned in a field at the end of the war.  Presumably the pilot walked away and went home ;) Black 13 was an Erla-built G-10, one of a number of late-war Erla 109s finished in either 'all green' or 'two-tone green' camouflage with bare metal undersides, which makes them quite distinct from the more usual Luftwaffe camo schemes of the day, especially with camo applied to the undercarriage doors, which are evident in some photos and visible in one of the pics here.  The reasons for this particular paint scheme are not clear - maybe paint shortages, maybe new RLM directives.  Anyway, Eduard's kit went together pretty well, although I have to say not as well as the Hasegawa 109F-4 I built a few weeks ago.  Painted with a combination of Vallejo and Mig colours (as usual) - and pretty awful pics (as usual).  But I hope you like them anyway  :) 

gKCXZ7F.jpg

3gHJEbi.jpg

bxEK466.jpg

NNpT0Om.jpg

FqVcFWM.jpg

IuZswyP.jpg

XDAfGEa.jpg

R819ejN.jpg

G9gPbsT.jpg

A few more 'natural light' pics added.  I think these show the colours a bit better...

ixbVbfn.jpg

wTrVVMz.jpg

0zOqva1.jpg

n4Et8PN.jpg

TX8fMfJ.jpg

• Like 46

Thanks all for the comments.. :) 

Looking back at the pics, I'm not really happy with how the colours are being represented.  The RLM82 (light green) in particular looks far too 'olive'.  So I took a few more pics this morning in natural light, which I think show the true colours a bit better.  Did I mention my lack of photo skills..? ;) 

One pic added below.  The rest are up in the original post...

n4Et8PN.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks all :) 

18 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Fantastic work! And a very rarely seen cammo.  It looks nice and is really something different . Very welcome!

Andy 

Rarely seen, indeed.  I could only find 1 or 2 other examples on the internet of someone building in this scheme.  Possibly because it is so different from the 'conventional' look of a 109...?

Awesome build & scheme :)

a small suggestion: When you shoot your models find a mid tone neutral gray background and shoot them on it. That way your meter on the camera will not be 'tricked' to overexpose the shots & make the camo look brighter than it is (when you shoot on black background).

• Thanks 1

Nice job on my favorite 109 variant! A very attractive model, and well-studied work on this unusual Erla color scheme.

If I might make another photo suggestion (assuming you are using a phone?) - zoom out beyond the default wide-angle setting which the camera has when first turned on. This will give a more natural, less curved perspective (closer to what you see when looking at a full-size aircraft), and better depth-of-field on the focus.

1/72 model, shot with iPhone at default setting:

888401-A2-B724-43-BE-82-B5-A23-F7-ACCA53

Zoomed out about halfway:

7-A07-F2-DC-3-C48-4-C8-F-9129-13-B8-A48-

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2022 at 13:42, MDriskill said:

If I might make another photo suggestion (assuming you are using a phone?) - zoom out beyond the default wide-angle setting which the camera has when first turned on. This will give a more natural, less curved perspective (closer to what you see when looking at a full-size aircraft), and better depth-of-field on the focus.

That's a good tip, thanks.  I'm using a Galaxy A52s which does have a 'zoom out' facility, so I'll give that a try.

On 14/04/2022 at 16:58, Tokyo Raider said:

I love it Werdna!  Looks great in that scheme!  Just cant have enough Bf109's!

Thanks Bob :)