Hobbyboss F-14B Santa Cat 1:48

Hi all 😀 Finally finished this after about a year of on and off work on it. I'm not the quickest modeller and this is my first jet in 1:48, the F-14 is a big plane so I took my time with it as I can't see me getting many of these on the shelf at the moment 🙂

This is the Hobbyboss F-14B in 1:48, bought for the bargain price of around £30 off a well known auction site a couple of years ago. Being a lifelong fan of the F-14 and Top Gun meant a man scale version needed adding to the collection.

Its not a bad kit all in all, a lot of plastic in the box for the money, loads of weapons options and nice general detail, including a small sheet of PE for the seat belts and canopy rails (and radar if you want to leave the nose open). 

The general fit isn't too bad and a lot of dry fitting meant minimal filler was needed in the end. I closed up the gun access panels as I prefer the clean lines of what has to be the most beautiful airplane ever. I left the access ladder open, though with hindsight I think I would close it up or look for a PE replacement as it's a bit clunky.

I did look at the great tips on here by @Parabat and dealt with a few of the areas that could be easily improved, like filling the wing rivets, shortening the arrestor hook. One of the main issues I head read about the kit was the intakes being too thick and parallel to the ground and dealt with this by sanding them thinner but also cutting a thin wedge out of the outside faces and clamping and glueing it all back up. I also used a thin strip of foil tape to create the ring that's missing before the intake petals which I found quite a noticeable omission.

Paints used were Gunze numbers as per the instruction callouts for the TPS scheme grays, thinned with Tamiya thinners, sealed with Alclad aqua gloss and then an oil wash and Xtracrylics Matt to finish.

Photos were taken from my phone as I am lacking any decent setup so hoping they come out OK. I realised when taking them the the old light blue pillow case I had used previously as a back drop is both far too small for a plane of this size and also in dire need of replacement 😂

Anyway, hope you like and on with the pics, hoping that they work as this is the first post I have attempted entirely from my mobile...

Cheers for looking, Stu 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 41