RS Models Manshu KI-79b Shimbu-tai

I've had this unusual plane in my stash for a few years and I thought now is the perfect time to make a start on it.

The KI-79 is based on the older Nakajima KI-27 Nate  with a new engine. The sole manufacturer was the  Manshūkoku Hikōki Seizo KK plant in Manchuria which produced 1329 single seat Ki-79a and dual seat Ki-79b trainer versions. The main difference between the Ki-27 and Ki-79 was the KI-79's open cockpit. This seems a retrograde step in my book 😕 

This kit is based on the RS Models Ki-79a and has you cut out the second cockpit by hand. A task which has put me off building this..... until now.

y4mDeDra9YUZaqGbMAQV-6l0krMMJkdiZHtM9sYv

A bag shot!

y4my8lhxEXq-HhdHqapxJKy3e5M_G9thNb4vr1j5

Only one cockpit at the moment....

y4m84CLGfcO0pbXbEOEuSd9yY64ZBN7HvjwiG1dU

Some of the PE looks good. Some looks tiny!

y4mC3tykqaOIuKCgBDzfX0_KrGI2QWai_2uxTEFs

The decals look good.

y4mC0G5UU5dBGD9y7anAn7y8U0ebQFiBMFXdITgX

• Like 13

Welcome along richard, and another unusual and interesting choice.

Gee there are some interesting and unusual aircraft showing up for this build, which is really great to see.

The additional wee bit of surgery should make this build a bit more interesting. But after seeing your build in the Nordic II GB, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Well good luck with the build, I think there will be some interest in this one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of progress on this over the weekend....

y4mfYAQe3HMB_63O7bSCujXQjL7Czd02a26Ptsd9

The PE seats replace the already quite good plastic seats included in the kit. They have been sprayed with some Steel as I had it in the gun for the Italian flying boat I'm building (slowly).

I carefully cut and sanded away the area for the rear cockpit and then masking taped them together to make sure they were in the right place. I then sprayed some light gray as per the instructions.

y4muqCybl41ND54zDDU8rmAIHUo3YEojhjnkscmZ

I then attached the pre-painted PE parts.

y4msjEW-aXc9Sw66C9MJT03IPmVALBkMiIEP-6Fs

The fuselage was then joined up with the engine inside (photos to follow).

• Like 12

On 4/22/2022 at 11:35 PM, trickyrich said:

those cockpit seat units look really nice, hopefully you'll still be able to see all that lovely detail when it's closed up!

I doubt it!

Some more progress over the weekend with the fuselage coming together and some primer.

y4m-QtE5TlcHLVAFJ6ph3Lf-4111m2xgItuProPB

After the gluing was the painting.

y4m1VvjmELyV6iWn2AkWp64h4uAoFDlQe_zKfUfN

I think I need a bit more filler in places and a bit more sanding but as I had some yellow in the airbrush I sprayed the identification bands and then masked them up once they were dry.

• Like 7

I sprayed the whole plane in the light gray as per the instructions and popped the foam out of the cockpit and somehow the IP has also popped out too. I can't see how I'm going to get that back in there.....

y4mRC_IPQHujtAYy2knV-dUf7XUsds9IxVGA8KWI

The delivery from Amazon arrived a few days later of a refillable paint pen. My son has been trialing one and I thought I'd have a go to reproduce the complex green paint markings that were brushed on.

This is what I got from the IJA Mijouri green filled pen.

y4msw0VTs4ZPcPXNcUZTGlvTWsxbI8BetT9yBS9V

It does a reasonable job and the jury is out if I would have been better to paint it with a brush. The detail is certainly finer and more controllable for me.

• Like 7

That will certainly be an interesting fishing exercise if you end up trying to get that IP back in.  Maybe some bluetack on the end of a toothpick or skewer?  Fortunately the cockpit opening is fairly small so it may not be super noticeable unless you know and are looking for it.

It's coming together quickly.  :thumbsup:

gee the scheme looks good, using a paint pen does sound like an interesting idea, can you post a picture of it? I might be interested to try it out.

As Chris was saying, try using a bit of blutack on a stick and some CA cement, probably not the super quick setting stuff, but something that will set quite quickly.

The paint is a Montana Acrylic Empty Marker 0.7mm, It seemed to work pretty well and looks perfect for drawing the wiggly desert camo used by the Luftwaffe on occasion.

y4mVTEMDb1KaCi47IENvO1PKfZCXdEWFMX8TvvoI

• Like 6

I've put the decals on and I've I've started work on the strange undercarriage.

y4m7hSsTjy72YKT-ubySG5ZSvHZLkDxTRX1JtKOy

y4mt4s8GUzUlMvOmlPEP-FD8vut3ueA2VFzuIRJC

I had a bit of a go and dry fitting the panel back in. It seems really unlikely I'll be able to get it back in without getting glue everywhere. Plan A at the moment, is to skip it :)

• Like 4

Looking good Richard,

The paint pen may be very useful for things like the Wellenmuster wave scheme or whatever it was called, seen on Ju 88 over the Med and in Norway. The undercarriage is probably that from the Ki-27 without the spats.

Pete

I'm calling this one done now that I have put all the remaining parts and the rigging on it.

y4m-I8zj6i6l7Jnz2tw18fmdp0uohhADEdsWHp32

I'm pretty pleased at how the paint pen experiment has turned out.

• Like 10

wow that's a really impressive looking model Richard, well done!! :thumbsup:

Really nicely built and finished a very worthy addition to the gallery.

I hope you enjoyed the build....there's still time for more!!  :wicked:  :D

Plus I'll have to look out for those pens as well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:08 AM, trickyrich said:

.there's still time for more!!

I have a really stupid plan next.

I've got a C47, JU52 and a SM81 in my stash. I thought I'd build the 3 transport planes together in one go. I don't think I have a Japanese transport aircraft. Not sure what they used.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard Tucker said:

I have a really stupid plan next.

I've got a C47, JU52 and a SM81 in my stash. I thought I'd build the 3 transport planes together in one go. I don't think I have a Japanese transport aircraft. Not sure what they used.

Quite a mixed bag of planes were used as transports Richard. As with the allies normal bombers etc were pressed into service as were the prototypes of the failed bomber version of the DC-4E called the G5N. In some cases, as with say the Stirling V, more fully modified versions were also produced such as the H6K2-L transport version of the Mavis flying boat. There was the Ki-57 which was a dedicated transport based on the Ki-21 bomber, and one or two smaller planes like the Nakajima Ki-34, and before the war the Japanese obtained licenses to build both the DC-2 and DC-3. The former was not much used by the military and only 6 were built, to which may have been added a few captured Dutch ones, but like the Russians they built quite a few L2D (DC-3) clones. The engines and therefore probably the cowlings were different to the Douglas version as were the window and door arrangements, but if you could find some accurate drawings I guess a conversion might be possible.😆

Pete

• Thanks 1